Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specific concerns about labors for the Premium and Classic versions.  (Read 1960 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile

It's no secret that many of us use "spreadsheet" labor methods like Dwarf Therapist and DFhack's Manipulator, and are concerned about the "autolabor" style promised for DF Premium and Classic.

I'm regularly asked about it on reddit, on the Discords, Steam forum, and so on. I'm pretty sure we're not going to change Bay 12's mind on this (and of course, they are world renown game designers whereas most of us are not.) This is already a great step forward from checking (v)iew (p)references (l)abors on every migrant, of course!

They've always shown a willingness to listen to concerns and make adaptations where they can. Let's put together a list of concerns for them to be aware of.

I worry about:

Mass assignment and unassignment of labors, like turning on 50 dwarves to smooth a newly mined out area, but then reducing it to a handful of skilled stone detailers for the engraving. Many hands make light work, and there are a great number of low skill and no skill jobs that can be handled this way currently with a few clicks, things any dwarf can do equally well, if not equally quickly. A master miner is fast, but a whole crowd of unskilled dwarves handed picks for the first time will quickly learn enough to outpace them, and so on.

How will we even know what sorts of dwarves we have? Profession names are great, but it's the same profession name for every dwarf from a peasant with rusty Novice weaponsmith to the cherished fortress elder who made the first pick on site, and has hammered his way to Grand Master without ever quite getting a Strange Mood to push him over the edge. With a spreadsheet, skill levels can be seen at a glance. I believe we've been told that we'll be able to assign certain dwarves to certain workshops, which is great, but if we have to look through dwarves one by one like now, it's still going to be a big task.

Jobs we just don't want done like hunting for example, since they have to be manually turned off to get them to sleep in a bed, (and can be a nuisance for other reasons.) Fishing can likewise cause trouble as they run off into the rain while the goblin siege is incoming. It's easy to run down a column and turn off all the hunters and fishers in Therapist.

Some of these things will almost certainly be taken care of circumstantially. You can already set (o)rders for fishing only in zones, and never set a zone, for instance. If we can give them good examples of things we enjoy being able to do with Dwarf Therapist, perhaps all our concerns can similarly be swept away!

This began as a reddit thread, which can be found here and is still active as of 3 August 2021. I hope this will be counted as part of this thread too, for Tarn and Zach's attention.
Team Bug Fix!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Specific concerns about labors for the Premium and Classic versions.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 02:26:01 am »

I believe we've been told that we'll be able to assign certain dwarves to certain workshops

That's workshop profiles, which is already available.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 02:37:15 am »

You might want to start by removing the concerns which people have about working around bugs. That at least focuses on what the actual issue is. "Hunters don't use beds" is irrelevant and only confuses the matter.

Fix the bug. Has nothing to do with Spreadsheets.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:37:00 pm »

Sounds like the suggestion is basically "don't take away the ability to micromanage jobs." The DFHack auto labor can be turned on and off, the built-in version should at least be that functional so people can have it either way. I'd be surprised it if wasn't made that way.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 05:05:39 pm »

Another important use for DT is to look up unit info by name while on some screens where just the units’ names are shown. For example I use DT to evaluate residents applying for citizenship. I would love to just be able to click on the name and summon the unit’s entire info page, in-game.

I also use the “roles” tab to help pick the best citizen for each job, but I think that can often give me a false sense of accomplishment. I guess some of its criteria are useful, but by its very nature it ignores more important character traits. So I think training people away from that will make them better players. But it would be great to provide some “career counseling” functions in game.

Another use for DT is to survey your military equipment situation. Going one by one per dwarf in game would be far too tedious, and the green check marks in the equipment screen don’t seem to mean much. Of course the military equipment interface needs overhauling for other reasons as well, so just throw this one on the pile.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 07:18:23 pm »

gonna repost what i said in the news thread here:

one thing i like about the spreadsheet approach to labors is that you can be very specific, customizing them specifically for each dwarf. this new system is certainly a step up from the interface in df classic, but i do hope that spreadsheets will still be possible in conjunction with it - in dfhack at least, if not ideally in vanilla.

i really love dfhack's "manipulator" interface - if it got a promotion to vanilla, i'd surely be stoked. it gives me precisely the level of control and ease of access that i desire.
if nothing else, perhaps it would be worth taking notes from?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 08:24:32 am »

A few examples of the benefits of using DT for me:

- change dwarves' nicknames quickly

- quick and easy to sort out assignments for new migrants:
   sort by migration wave, see all their stats quickly, see who has good personality for military with just a mouseover, see the group's existing skills instantly

- military management is simple:
   sort by squads, see what equipment they haven't equipped with just a mouseover

- extremely quick to see which citizens are unhappy or need player attention:
   sort by happiness, sort by focus, sort by cave adaptation, sort by equipment missing, sort by nearly anything

- mass assigning / unassigning labors is painless

- beam with pride as you look at your entire military and see how many kills each has

- easily spot those that are crippled so you can avoid assigning them tasks that are time-sensitive (by giving their nickname a prefix like "!" so they sort to the top of the list). So many other possibilities here too.

I just want to say, I'm excited to try out the new labor-management you're working on, Tarn and Zach... I'm not dissing it.

But just in case we micromanagers don't prefer it, PLEASE, PLEASE allow it to be toggled on & off by the players.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 10:08:23 am »

- easily spot those that are crippled

hopefully this is something the graphics will be capable of.