Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Roll to Rebuild - Day 3 [9/10]  (Read 8630 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - A Semi Minimalist Zombie Apocalypse [0/10]
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 12:34:40 am »

(Just gonna say that eating food grown on a zombie sounds like good way to get a disease and die.)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Machiavelli Corleone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - A Semi Minimalist Zombie Apocalypse [0/10]
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 02:41:12 am »

Day 0

It's been a little over 5 months since the world collapsed into itself.

The farmhouse is pretty remote, concealed. Edinburg is already a small town, one of those little places you pass right by in an instant going along a major road. It's only through the detailed directions of Walter Briggsby over the radio that each of you can find the right path. Some of you come from a direction that takes you through the heart of the little town, and you notice some places of interest in the distance: a small bank, a public park, "Moe's Diner".

Coming down a long dirt road, you the farmhouse comes into view, a solidly built two story structure, looking no worse than a few spots of peeling blue paint. Before anyone can go in, Walter Briggsby has everyone wait outside in front of the porch, though he is generous enough to extend water and bread to whomever wants it. He looks to be in his mid-50's, with a bald head and a thick bear gut. He wears a red flannel shirt over blue jeans. A holstered revolver sits on his right hip.

Around mid-afternoon, Briggsby puts his ear to his yellow Walkie-Talkie, "Can't hear nobody else, so I take it that this is everyone." He places the device on a nearby railing. "Howdy y'all, I'm Walter Briggsby and this is The Farmhouse. Can't think of a better name right now, but I'm open to suggestions. I've been residing here about a month now. Figured, by now it's time to get a real community up and running. I've invited y'all here since, shoot, anyone that has made it this long has to be doing something right."

"All of y'all can stay so long as you follow the 3 Golden Rules: 1. Honesty. We have to be able to trust each other for this thing to work. No chicanery, no fooling. 2. Hard Work. Everyone pulls their own weight, and everyone gets their fair share. 3. Faith. We pray before each meal, and we pray before bed. The only reason we're still standing is because God is merciful. If you can follow these rules, you can come on in. If not...I'll send you off with some food, directions and a prayer."

"There are five beds in this house. One in the master room, which I sleep in since it's the only one I can sleep in with my bad back. There are two more in the upstairs kids room, and two smaller ones downstairs in the guest room. There's a couch and a reclining chair in the living room. Living room got a fireplace too. Got food piled up in the kitchen, good hardy canned stuff like bread, beans, salt pork. Basement is all cleared out and full of dust, but it's a bunch of extra space for any clever ideas. Toilets are all dried out, but the original owners had the foresight to install an outhouse behind the barn."

"Speaking of the barn, I went in there a couple times and just ended up stumbling round the dark. All the animals are up in smoke, no idea what happened to them. Just a bunch of rotting hay, far as I could tell. I would have cleaned it up, but can't mess with that due to the bad back and all."

"We've got some acres of dirt up front, though it's got pretty weedy. Out back is a thirty minute walk to get to the forest. Half a day's travel East will end up at Blesgate, but I warn against heading out there. Last time I visited I ended up running into a couple folk dressed head to toe in grey robing. I tried being friendly but they just stopped and stared at me. Since they were about 50 paces away I tried using my Walkie but it didn't look like they had a single Walkie between them. Eventually I left, it gave me the heebies."

"Well, that's enough speech talking on my part. To everybody ready to abide by the law and goodwill, come on in and get comfortable. Let's get to know one another, I'll get a pitcher of lemonade going round."

Spoiler: Stockpile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Player Characters (click to show/hide)

The Stockpile is a communal collection of resources. Resources may be added and taken from the Stockpile freely.

A Ration in this game represents enough food and drink to satiate a single person over the course of a day. Rations can take any form: fresh vegetables, MREs, canned goods, etc. Each Player Character starts with 4 personal Rations.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - Day 0 [9/10]
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 03:28:56 am »

Tired that's all Pat can think about, for days Pats been walking rarely stopping for breaks and tripping over himself on multiple occasions, mind kept active only by the occasional chatter on his walkie talkie and the fear that if he were to stop it would be his last. By the time Pat reached the farmhouse you almost couldn't tell him apart from the average zombie.

"Tired... so tired..."
Pat shambles into the house and collapses onto the floor knocked out cold.
"Zzz"

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 07:06:38 am »

Calvin is not deterred by petty things Things like sleep.  he goes and tries to find a complete map of the area.  Then he tries to the major landmarks and mark them on the map. (e.g. zombie cluster here, potential base there, food here, etc.)
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 07:09:56 am »

"Hey everybody I'm Zip-E-Zebra and I....     and I....     and I represent Zip-E-Mart....   and Zip-E-Mart....     does....      something, why can't I remember what it does, it seems important, but I'm not sure why, I'm not really sure of anything."
Look over the group and wonder why no one else looks like I do, after pondering these things for a bit he decides to go look inside that barn that guy mentioned and see what kind of stuff was inside.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 10:46:59 am »

Hmmm, Not bad. There is obvious work to be done though! If you need me, call but I can’t guarantee a response. I can get very... focused. Also, May I please have a blood sample?

Chris set’s up a improvised research lab and research’s his own blood sample along with whoever gave there’s to him to check if there is anything out of the ordinary in his or there blood stream.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 11:31:37 am »

Sam follows Mr. Briggsby in with a smile, glad for a friendly face or two to liven things up. He gratefully accepts the lemonade and thanks Walter kindly.

"Well," he started, "My name's Sam, Sam Dutton. I, uh... couldn't make it as a truck driver, wrapped my damn wheel well around a post and about tore it off learning it, so I just kept working with tools instead. Puttin' A/C and heating in sometimes, ditching so basements don't get flooded, you know. One day I was watching football, and the crowd started going crazy, bitin' each other like that Guns 'n Roses show they made everyone wait for, and I thought it was just sore losers, 'till everything cut to that FEMA emergency broadcast thing."

Sam asks Walter what he thinks needs to get done around here the most. We should establish priorities. Broach the idea of a bulletin board in or around the house we tack chores and tasks onto, so people know what's what. Sam'll help set that up if so, and gather the materials for it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:29:27 pm by Xvareon »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 12:49:07 pm »

Sam follows Mr. Briggsby in with a smile, glad for a friendly face or two to liven things up. He gratefully accepts the lemonade and thanks Walter kindly.

"Well," he started, "My name's Sam, Sam Dutton. I, uh... couldn't make it as a truck driver, wrapped my damn wheel well around a post and about tore it off learning it, so I just kept working with tools instead. Puttin' A/C and heating in sometimes, ditching so basements don't get flooded, you know. One day I was watching football, and the crowd started going crazy, bitin' each other like that Guns 'n Roses show they made everyone wait for, and I thought it was just sore losers, 'till everything cut to that FEMA emergency broadcast thing."

Sam asks Walter what he thinks needs to get done around here the most. We should establish priorities. Broach the idea of a bulletin board in or around the house we tack chores and tasks onto, so people know what's what. Sam'll help set that up if so, and gather the materials for it.
((might wanna add your spoiler))

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 01:11:50 pm »

I'm not sure what you're talking about. No one else was doing a spoiler.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 01:37:06 pm »

((Whoops, I thought this was a different thread, sorry))

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 04:36:02 pm »

"My name's Alex, and Pardon me for sayin this but i'm rather agnostic at the moment. God might be the only thing keeping us alive, it's true, but god also has a equally fair chance of wanting us dead, Mr.Briggsby. I'll still pull my weight and behave myself if you'll have me, but i'm not likely to be praying anytime soon when survival is still a hour-to-hour question."
After talking is all done, Alex went to attempt to locate and capture a lone thinker zombie. He also gathers any rations he could while in Edinburg, Accompanying Calvin in his mapping with the logic that two sets of eyes were better than one.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:37:37 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Machiavelli Corleone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 03:34:09 am »

Day 1
-Sunny-

Tired that's all Pat can think about, for days Pats been walking rarely stopping for breaks and tripping over himself on multiple occasions, mind kept active only by the occasional chatter on his walkie talkie and the fear that if he were to stop it would be his last. By the time Pat reached the farmhouse you almost couldn't tell him apart from the average zombie.

"Tired... so tired..."
Pat shambles into the house and collapses onto the floor knocked out cold.
"Zzz"

The exhaustion of relentless travel and perpetual terror have been ravaging body and mind for days. You have no time for introductions or projects, the prospect of being able to stay in one place is a greater desire than hunger and thirst combined. A few steps into the house, you collapse to the ground.

[2] You're standing on a hill, somewhere. All around you are dipping valleys that eventually become hills once again, an endless cycle of rise and fall. The sky is grey, foreboding. A cold wind rips through your very essence. One of the hills ignites, its arboreal surface turning into a raging inferno within seconds. The wildfire spreads down the hill in all directions. A sharp cry in the distance, a plea for aid or a scream of agony, unclear if human or beast or something else, rattles y-

You wake up many hours later.

"Hey everybody I'm Zip-E-Zebra and I....     and I....     and I represent Zip-E-Mart....   and Zip-E-Mart....     does....      something, why can't I remember what it does, it seems important, but I'm not sure why, I'm not really sure of anything."
Look over the group and wonder why no one else looks like I do, after pondering these things for a bit he decides to go look inside that barn that guy mentioned and see what kind of stuff was inside.

[6] You ponder over the sharp contrast in appearance, body type, and general mannerism between yourself and everyone else who has come here. You would imagine, just by the odds, that at least someone else would be of your kind. It strikes you in an instant; there is a reason why you are the odd one out. You have fulfilled your potential, your true self. Your external appearance is a perfect reflection of your interior existence. That is not true for anyone else here, hidden behind facades, unintentionally imprisoning themselves. It is your spiritual duty to help everyone here achieve their true selves as you have done, if not as a leader than as a guide.

[4] The barn is much how Briggsby had described it: devoid of animals, coated in rotten hay. The stale stench of livestock expulsions and decrepit grass are nearly overpowering. There are stalls, and a ladder leading to a barren attic area. Someone must have cleared out this alcove, though they left behind a sickle. A couple of people could probably clean this whole barn up in a day.

Hmmm, Not bad. There is obvious work to be done though! If you need me, call but I can’t guarantee a response. I can get very... focused. Also, May I please have a blood sample?

Chris set’s up a improvised research lab and research’s his own blood sample along with whoever gave there’s to him to check if there is anything out of the ordinary in his or there blood stream.

[2+1] The first thing you will need in a research lab is a designated space, somewhere large enough to run analysis and store samples, but also secluded to dissuade others from interference, accidental or not. Two areas come to mind immediately, the wide open basement, as well as the barn if it can be cleaned up and sanitized.

Your major obstacle in the beginning is a lack of infrastructure. You have no device to run blood tests with, nor do you have a mechanism for storing blood samples. You do not even have syringes to draw blood with. A personalized work table is another fundamental part of the trade, but you have seen few tables throughout the Farmhouse.

No one has volunteered to donate their blood to you, but this is the usual first response in your field. People have always been wary to give blood, they always need a little convincing...

"No shame in finding something else worthwhile to do in life, it takes a bit of time to figure out what are our strengths and weaknesses. I wanted to be a sailor growing up, believe it or not. Wasn't til I was done with school that I realized serving the Law was my calling. Guess I was always more steady on land than sea. In times like these, there's always a need for someone who knows their way around tools and building. Glad to have ya."

"First order of business is gonna be getting more food and water. I scrounged up all I could, but with a group of this size we're bound to run dry in a few days. We need to set up some organized runs into town for food, and other supplies. On my way here I saw that there was a Crazy Chicken Supermarket out towards the highway, but it'll take a day's walk just to get there. Long term, we should finds some seeds or vegetables and start putting these fields to work, but I wasn't born with any green thumbs. Too bad the owners didn't leave any livestock behind, a cow or pig would be a big help. For water, I put whatever pots, jugs and other big containers I can find outside during the rain. It's served me so far, but relying on rainwater is always a roll of the dice. Later on it would be mighty handy to get a generator running, you'd be the man in charge of that, huh?"

[5] "Bulletin board....yeah, that's a million dollar idea. I've been meaning to find a use for this thing." Sam drags out a large whiteboard from a closet, complete with multiple makers and erasers. "Looks like it was part of some sorta kid's game, for learning or something like that. Anyhow, it'd be perfect for what you were saying. We'll put it right on the kitchen wall since everyone's gonna come through here once or twice a day at the least.

Calvin is not deterred by petty things Things like sleep.  he goes and tries to find a complete map of the area.  Then he tries to the major landmarks and mark them on the map. (e.g. zombie cluster here, potential base there, food here, etc.)
"My name's Alex, and Pardon me for sayin this but i'm rather agnostic at the moment. God might be the only thing keeping us alive, it's true, but god also has a equally fair chance of wanting us dead, Mr.Briggsby. I'll still pull my weight and behave myself if you'll have me, but i'm not likely to be praying anytime soon when survival is still a hour-to-hour question."
After talking is all done, Alex went to attempt to locate and capture a lone thinker zombie. He also gathers any rations he could while in Edinburg, Accompanying Calvin in his mapping with the logic that two sets of eyes were better than one.

Walter Briggsby is stonefaced as Alex clarifies his position. "Now, listen. Like I said before, if God wanted us dead, we'd be dead right now, no question. The fact that we're alive and breathing is a testament that we're being watched over. If you don't think faith is as important to your protection as any gun or knife you carry well....shoot." He shakes his head. "I'll give you a free pass today. Your tired, your nerves are all shot to hell, mind's all jumbled. Take today to get everything in your bones all settled. But make no mistake, this house is still standing because everyone and everything inside of it is grateful towards its creator. I'm not putting myself or the others, at risk if any single man, woman or child wants their pride to risk our holy sanctuary. Keep that in mind."

Briggsby is more than happy to help Calvin to one of his spare road maps of Edinburg. The map lists the town's population at 866, and that small population is reflected in that there aren't that many landmarks in Edinburg proper. Still, Calvin and Alex set out as a loose duo to check the town out together.

[5] The first thing that is noticeable about Edinburg once they reach it is that the town has seen better days. The pair remain careful not to attract zombie attention, but also vigilant in their recording.
Each block holds about 5 zombies stumbling back and forth. There are signs of zombies in the various main street buildings, so there are likely more unseen in these structures. A handful of well dressed zombies are wandering with the Small Bank. The biggest threat is a small herd of zombies congregated in the middle of the Public Park, around 30 of them.
There are neighborhoods of scattered houses in the difference.

Moe's Diner looks relatively zombie free. When the two investigate, they find rotten plates of half-finished food and coffee cups. These dining patrons must have fled in the middle of their meals. While scouring for rations, Alex hears the groans of a zombie in the kitchen. Peering inside, he sees an idle zombie with a tell-tale sign of a Thinker; it has a solid grip on a kitchen knife.

[4+1] Alex sneaks behind the zombie, and once he's close enough he swings his spear horizontally and smashes the tip onto the zombie's knife, sending it flying away. As the Thinker turns, Alex grabs a large metal pot on the counter and slams it over the zombie's head, a useful tactic in stunning them. This is not a normal zombie however, and it responds, by not only removing the pot, but tossing it back at the animal trainer. It's a clumsy throw, but Alex still has to duck to ensure it flies over his head and hits the oven behind him. The Thinker scans the floor for its knife as Alex reaches some conclusions. Capturing a Standard requires some tricks, and the cognitive abilities of a Thinker are much higher. He'll need more than a spear to knab this one, either some specialized tools similar to what he used back in his circus days, or some clever traps. He ducks out of the diner before the Thinker can rearm.

They return to the Farmhouse empty handed but brimming with new information.

Everyone consumes a Ration from the Stockpile.

Spoiler: Stockpile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Player Characters (click to show/hide)

The more specific your Actions are, the more specific my response shall be. This isn't a criticism, if you are fine with open-responses then that is what I'll provide. I mention this for the players who have very concrete ideas of what they want to attempt.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - Day 1 [9/10]
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 04:07:03 am »

Pat wakes up screaming "THE FIRES OF HELL COME UPON ME TIME IS A ILLUSION THAT WE CAN NOt escape..." Pat suddenly comes to his senses and looks around confused his surroundings foreign to him Pat knows not how he got here but before he can ponder things further a sudden extreme thirst takes hold "Oh god so thirsty..." Pat quickly forces himself up and lunges for the nearest source of liquid being the lemonade pitcher downing about a quarter before his thirst is satisfied and gulping down one of his rations shortly after. "Oh god I needed that." Pat takes a couple of seconds to collect himself before coming to the sudden realization that he is surrounded by strangers. "Oh uh sorry if this was uh your peoples lemonade I was just so thirsty and uh sorry if this is a erm awkward question but where am I?"

After gaining my bearings and hopefully given a run down on how things work and what's nearby I will awkwardly follow the weird costume guy to the bank.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:47:31 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2021, 04:59:04 am »

"Ain't pride that's keeping me going Mr.Briggsby, only reason I'm standing here is cause the few I called family took the hit for me. I'll be lucky if I even see my dog again, cause god sure as hell didn't watch over any of them when they told me to run for it.
I'll be on my way and check out that supermarket you mentioned. If I find anything good or i'm in the area, I'll pop a call on channel 11, alright? Least I can do to repay the hospitality."

Alex sets off for the crazy chicken supermarket, having stayed his welcome at the farm. He could respect their position and way of doing things, but it didn't mean he agreed with them.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2021, 07:37:49 am »

Zip-E stands in the background listing to the various conversations before he finally decides to say something.
"After hearing what you've been saying Briggsby I have come to the conclusion that beveling in this god person is required to live here, and while I did enjoy my time here it seems I also can not stay as I have no idea who god is, other than I have a vague memory of a man in a suit telling me that Zip-E-Mart was more important than god or something like that, and as such I shall now begin my quest to find a Zip-E-Mart to find out what it is, and while it saddens me that I won't be here to help you people become your true selves like I have, but I'm sure I can try to help set everyone here on that path when I find my self passing through this area again, so goodby for now."

And with that said I shall now go forth and head to the bank as I was once told by a man in a suit that they are filled with the source of happiness and I feel that happiness is required for the continuation of my spiritual journey and the discovery of what Zip-E-Mart is.
(You forgot to put the sickle in my inventory.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5