Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gate your lava release pipe well!  (Read 2771 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Gate your lava release pipe well!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 04:55:09 pm »

Woops I'm illiterate sorry.

When I have to channel up I like to put grates to walk on underneath that way a miner that turns around to dig another tile I designate as high priority a ways away doesn't have to outrun the lava, as long as they step off the grate the drain below will take it all and they can shambles away safely to go dig out that other tile. 90% of the time, anyway. I'll admit, sometimes they sit there with "no job" and blinking "?" Just long enough to catch on fire, but channeling and grating over the tiles adjacent to where they're about to dig a ramp or channel does reduce the casualty rate significantly.

Also, I wasn't aware of fortifications slowing anything down. I often dump the magma out from an overhanging bridge though or use pumps, so the initial flooding is quite sudden even if fortifications are slowing it down behind the reservoir.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2021, 01:36:18 am »

Somewhere, I have a "number of days since last lava disaster" WHS sign which has a pretty high number on it I guess.

Also, I wasn't aware of fortifications slowing anything down. I often dump the magma out from an overhanging bridge though or use pumps, so the initial flooding is quite sudden even if fortifications are slowing it down behind the reservoir.

I could have put any number of fortifications behind the floodgate, and it wouldn't have made much of a difference, it was the non-full-of-burning-rock section that was violated. I actually since have come up with a simple solution: I have an inner floodgate, open, behind an outer floodgate that is closed. Lava goes all the way to the outer floodgate, but if someone deconstructs the outer floodgate, I have an inner one (protected by molten rock) I can close later. So long as everything is made magma-proof, no issues. And of course, do this BEFORE the whole thing gets attacked. Not that it's likely to happen again. I'll definitely try the double floodgate next volcano fort though.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 02:46:17 am »

Somewhere, I have a "number of days since last lava disaster" WHS sign which has a pretty high number on it I guess.

My counter has a zero!
Pages: 1 [2]