Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU  (Read 33669 times)

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« on: August 08, 2021, 08:24:21 pm »

Babinushal – Nâzomkib
Friendlytreason – Dreamynet

Have you always wanted to live on a volcanic, reanimating mountain, with local bitter sludge and eerie mist, in a world that is mostly an evil biome and is infested by goblins? Would you like to play a succession game without rules EXCEPT one? Do you commit treason but in a friendly way? Then this fortress is made for you!

Let us know if you are taking over and I'll happily add you to the succession list below. Being dorfed is welcome as well.

Rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Successions
» year 193: xkcd1963 part 1
» year 194: Mobbstar part 1
» year 195: NordicNooob part 1part 2part 3part 4
» year 202: xkcd1963 part 1part 2part 3
» year 205: Bombyx Mori part 1part 2
» year 208: AvolitionBrit part 1part 2
» year 211: StrikaAmaru part 1part 2part 3part 4part 5
» year 215: AvolitionBrit part 1
» year 219: StrikaAmaru part 1part 2part 3part 4part 5
» year 220: AvolitionBrit part 1
» year 220: xkcd1963 part 1
» year 228: StrikaAmaru part 1part 2part 3part 4
» year 229: xkcd1963 part 1part 2part 3part 4part 5
» year 231: StrikaAmaru part 1
» year 239: dikbutdagrate part 1part 2
» next: ?

Some screenshots
Spoiler: dormitories @xkcd1963 (click to show/hide)

Comic strips

Current population cap: 75
DF version: 0.47.05
Fortress map size: 4x4

=== Original Post ===
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:39:12 am by xkcd1963 »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: 1 year play switch save file (community fort)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 06:44:12 am »

You're in the right room! This subforum is home to several community/succession/bloodline fortresses. Take a look at the recently active threads to see the on-going ones.

You understand how community forts work. One thing I'd like to suggest is setting (or discussing for) a theme or glorious goal right away. For example, Smallhands is a deliberately downscaled fort (a "fortalice" i suppose?), Smithsoldier is a bastion against goblins (well, now inhabited by lawful goblin citizens somehow), Ardentdikes was built between a volcano and a river;

At any rate, I'll be watching and probably joining.

As for your observations:
  • "DF 2014" means any version since 0.40, because savefiles from that version technically still work in the newest version 0.47.05 (There's debate over whether a new metric for grouping version should be used. Not sure why people aren't simply using semver, since that's what seems to have been used since 0.31 in 2010.)
  • A "bottomless chasm" happens when the very lowest tile of the map gets channeled away. It de-facto only exists in the Object Testing Arena because regular worlds tend to have an impenetrable viscious flow of magma underneath all the rock. Unrelatedly, a short chasm ("deep pit") can occur within caverns and is not unusual.
  • Severed parts often get flung several tiles away. This is especially true if the parts are very light and hit with much force, e.g. knocking teeth out. Attackers can also charge their opponents from a distance to knock them back. Both of these effects may have been more severe in older versions.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 02:19:35 pm »

@Mobbstar awesome. I'm oblivious to the currently running community fortresses, not sure if they accept outsiders so easily. Starting a new community fortress seems like an idea to me.

What would be a good theme or glorious goal that comes to your mind? Mine would be to have the longest running fort by in-game year count for a community fort (though I suppose there must be some very old ones going in that direction already). I suppose the biggest challenge here would be FPS death, or maybe memory corruptions.

I generally like chaos, so I'm not against as example, random levers littered across the map. I suppose that a visit to the clowns will happen fairly quickly if the fort should prevail centuries. I would probably try though to eliminate stone boulders and catexplosions before they take a toll on FPS.

The save file probably also shouldn't be too big for easier internet transfer, what do you think? Is a world dimension with 33x33 and history of ~100 years too restrictive? Is an embark of 4x4 too small? I don't have the most performant PC either.

Thanks for the clarifications. In their game they had "Urist fell into a deep chasm" and it was in the upper caverns I'm quite sure. "Impenetrable" heh.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 04:04:31 pm »

I'm oblivious to the currently running community fortresses, not sure if they accept outsiders so easily.

Most community forts will gladly add you to their queue and it'll be your turn in a few weeks. Some even say something along the lines of "looking for overseers" in the title and the only thing stopping you from reviving old forts is whether the last person posted their savefile.

What would be a good theme or glorious goal that comes to your mind? Mine would be to have the longest running fort by in-game year count for a community fort (though I suppose there must be some very old ones going in that direction already). I suppose the biggest challenge here would be FPS death, or maybe memory corruptions.

I know of Archcrystal, which has managed to keep running for almost 500 years now (since 2015). It is not a community fort though, that would be extremely impressive! Perhaps a new player every year is too slow for that.

I generally like chaos, so I'm not against as example, random levers littered across the map. I suppose that a visit to the clowns will happen fairly quickly if the fort should prevail centuries. I would probably try though to eliminate stone boulders and catexplosions before they take a toll on FPS.

I wonder if it were fun to make a community fort where every year, a lever/tripwire with some functionality must be added. Can be as easy as a door control, or as disastrous as a self destruct button. If you have to take one down for whatever reason, you must add another elsewhere.

The save file probably also shouldn't be too big for easier internet transfer, what do you think? Is a world dimension with 33x33 and history of ~100 years too restrictive? Is an embark of 4x4 too small? I don't have the most performant PC either.

Good thinking! The suggested parameters sound good to me.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 12:08:13 am »

Most community forts will gladly add you to their queue and it'll be your turn in a few weeks. Some even say something along the lines of "looking for overseers" in the title and the only thing stopping you from reviving old forts is whether the last person posted their savefile.
Noted. Do you currently play one?

I know of Archcrystal, which has managed to keep running for almost 500 years now (since 2015). It is not a community fort though, that would be extremely impressive! Perhaps a new player every year is too slow for that.
Archcrystal, an amazing fort.

I wonder if it were fun to make a community fort where every year, a lever/tripwire with some functionality must be added. Can be as easy as a door control, or as disastrous as a self destruct button. If you have to take one down for whatever reason, you must add another elsewhere.
Ok. I've added plenty already (see below).

Good thinking! The suggested parameters sound good to me.
Okay, here we go then (0.47.05): https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15636

»The Land Of Brilliance«
Mountain: The order of fire

Civilization: The Dreamy Net
Fort: Friendlytreason
Government: Friendlydevils

Official goal: Extract minerals for the glory of our king

Expedition leader Athel Inkyvory – 15th of Granite 193
It has been a very dangerous ride to reach the tip of this mountain. Luckily none of us got into squirrels with the local wildlife. Wildlife is not precise, it's rather dead animals that somehow continue to live. Their flesh has disappeared but they continue to roam this forsaken place. Where do these beings take that strength from? Anyway, I've to focus on my mission, we are to extract the minerals that this place has to offer and send it to the southern commonwealth. The decisions that have been made in the mountainhomes are good from commercial perspective. This mountain is rich in minerals. We've already found ore for gold, silver, lead, zink and copper. No iron in sight yet though.

Expedition leader Athel Inkyvory – 18th of Granite 193
It's raining bitter sludge! Why oh why did we decide to come here? This hellish beast of a flying skeleton is freaking me out! And an eerie mist is roaming the countryside, I'm glad we did not come in contact with it.

And our first kill goes to Zuglar:

Catten has been badly wounded by an undead wolverine while running to a pond to clean himself from sludge:

Expedition leader Athel Inkyvory – 15th of Felsite 193
We've finally established a secure place for ourselves. We have killed 23 undead beings, poor Catten seems to have taken big hits, though his bended extremities look somehow fascinating to me now, I'll have to investigate that. We've started to dig down. Though there is sure enough beverage for this year to come, we need a source of emergency water. New reinforcement has arrived from the mountainhomes, they won't see whats comin these fools.

New temple inquired:

Marriage of expedition leader and Catten:

Expedition leader Athel Inkyvory – 15th of Granite 193
One year is over. After we have had closed ourselves in, nothing particular had happened. I started my duties as priestess of the Blockaded Sanctuary (change the name if you like) and I've no more time to manage this fortress for the time being. We are running very low on food and beverage, but we've already established farms close to the watersource and many more are supposed to be build. Maybe we should consider cave fishing, although it is very dangerous to go out in the caves.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:38:20 pm by xkcd1963 »

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason [community fort]
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 01:30:23 am »

oh, hello new person, it’s very cool that reading Headshoots enlightened you as to the possibility of community forts
there are quite a few of those stories written up in the Hall of Legends
I recommend reading Boatmurdered next because it’s the next-most-famous, not to mention glorious
lots of these stories are so old that DF was still 2D then, never mind crazy things like hitting people so hard they fly away

by the way, if you’re doing a community fort in this thread, you might want to update the original post with what you’re doing and some rules for turn-taking and such, which I recommend taking from threads like Smallhands or such

I like your name, by the way, is 1963 your favourite xkcd, or just the most relevant?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:32:50 am by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 01:37:54 am »

PTW

Also, I looked and 1963 is probably the most fitting xkcd for a username.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 03:02:45 am »

PTW

ehhhh, imo 910’s better :D
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 12:22:41 pm »

Friendlytreason    : )
Undead volcano >: D

I think the screenshot of battered Catten is erronously shown twice.

Took a peek at the savefile and, ho boy this is going to be interesting. The food situation alone is very exciting, with the farmplots freshly tilled, no livestock to speak of, and the only cavern with edible plants is filled with flying undead.

Noted. Do you currently play one?

At time of writing, I'm in the queue for the Colorless Houses, but that'll take a while. Therefore, I could and would take the next turn of Friendlytreason if nobody else steps up. (No promises I'll be even just half as productive as you!)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 01:27:47 am »

PTW

If you're gonna make your username an xkcd comic, you should at least put xkcd 1223 in your sigtext.

And what exactly is this fort aiming for? Old age? Just a run of the mill fort, do whatever? Buncha stupid dwarf tricks with a trillion levers? If we're going for old age I suggest imposing some rules, which you can just edit your first reply to the post to have (as well as maybe a turn list). I'd suggest a 40 pop limit, and then just a general rule of "try not to spam too much livestock or items." For a long term fort longer turns could be useful; maybe even 5 or 10 years per turn; things go a lot slower with 40 dwarves, so that's not as daunting as it sounds as long as we keep FPS high. Maybe 5 years, since at 100 FPS 10 years is a full day of hard play, and I doubt a 4x4 triple cavern reanimating biome is gonna stay at 100 FPS, especially with some having computers not up to the task.

Since we've already got a year done (and since formative years are the most important) we could just wait 5 turns at 1 year per turn so that we aren't jumping from year 1 to 6 to 11 and staying uneven for all of time.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 11:47:01 pm »

I recommend reading Boatmurdered
oh yes!

by the way, if you’re doing a community fort in this thread, you might want to update the original post with what you’re doing and some rules for turn-taking and such, which I recommend taking from threads like Smallhands or such
Noted, I'll update the original post and I've adjusted it already to something similar as in Smallhands.

I like your name, by the way, is 1963 your favourite xkcd, or just the most relevant?
If you're gonna make your username an xkcd comic, you should at least put xkcd 1223 in your sigtext.
:D

I think the screenshot of battered Catten is erronously shown twice.
Damn you are right, I've crossed it out, also replaced the images with 1200px width, not sure which is the best image host.

At time of writing, I'm in the queue for the Colorless Houses, but that'll take a while. Therefore, I could and would take the next turn of Friendlytreason if nobody else steps up. (No promises I'll be even just half as productive as you!)
No worries about the productivity, do as you please. Nobody else stepped up so go for it : )

And what exactly is this fort aiming for? Old age? Just a run of the mill fort, do whatever? Buncha stupid dwarf tricks with a trillion levers? If we're going for old age I suggest imposing some rules, which you can just edit your first reply to the post to have (as well as maybe a turn list). I'd suggest a 40 pop limit, and then just a general rule of "try not to spam too much livestock or items." For a long term fort longer turns could be useful; maybe even 5 or 10 years per turn; things go a lot slower with 40 dwarves, so that's not as daunting as it sounds as long as we keep FPS high. Maybe 5 years, since at 100 FPS 10 years is a full day of hard play, and I doubt a 4x4 triple cavern reanimating biome is gonna stay at 100 FPS, especially with some having computers not up to the task.
Hm you are right, there is a lot to consider. I'm not sure whether we should aim for a long list of successions (1year) or just long in-game time (flexible span of years). We'll have to clean up things occasionally, using atom smashers, reduce animals, remove stones ...

Since we've already got a year done (and since formative years are the most important) we could just wait 5 turns at 1 year per turn so that we aren't jumping from year 1 to 6 to 11 and staying uneven for all of time.
Why are the formative years the most important ones?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »

Why are the formative years the most important ones?
They determine the entire shape of the fort: what industries are where, how established each one is as the primary industry for x or y, where maintenance tunnels that inevitably crop up will lead to and from, and all that jazz. Of course, most of these things aren't permanent: a lot of really old forts just completely rebuild the fortress later on (I did it in my second oldest fort, though my oldest by far is still running off the same initial bit I made), and if we're going on multiple generations training dwarves to legendary in new industries and repurposing old rooms is trivial. But succession forts are messy, and it stands that often times we'll have bigger problems than perfecting fortress life, especially in a hostile environment.

The first thirty or so years are gonna be the worst, until we've established true control over the map, though the fort will already have taken shape long since then. Since the wildlife is by default undead, I presume that the embark is reanimating, which means sealing the map edges on all three caverns will be critical. This is something I've struggled with a lot, and led to the eventual death of my second oldest fort, which lasted around those thirty years before losing the two-couple requirement due to continued incidents with the caverns (with the alternative being FPS death), although I was on a very hostile embark (terrifying glacier with nothing but a copper nugget and an anvil, and no migrants), which prevented me from initially dealing with them. However, we have three caverns to deal with, and I used a custom param set to only have one, so the time we spend on the first and second caverns might mean the third will be extremely terrifying to deal with. I say thirty years specifically, because if we don't get full control of the map (more specifically the caverns) by then we will have failed and the fort will succumb to FPS death even by normal standards, never mind by long term standards.

Hm you are right, there is a lot to consider. I'm not sure whether we should aim for a long list of successions (1year) or just long in-game time (flexible span of years). We'll have to clean up things occasionally, using atom smashers, reduce animals, remove stones ...
I think flexible yearspans is a very interesting idea; we could just change it depending on fort objectives, the current player's free time, and FPS. If we're struggling with undeadsplosions five year turns starting year five could become very long and very bad if somebody finds themselves unable to progress on the front of stopping them. But if we're way past that and the player has a free weekend and a good computer, I could also see somebody blowing through ten years in that weekend: the most I've done in my fort is a bit more than 10 years in a day, and I wasn't even AFKing it for half that; 16 is about the maximum for ~100ish FPS.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 04:08:16 pm »

Nobody else stepped up so go for it : )

I shall see to it during next week.

Since the wildlife is by default undead, I presume that the embark is reanimating, which means sealing the map edges on all three caverns will be critical.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Based on cursory research just now, I assume the kind of seal you are talking about is raised bridges? If nothing else, I should start making armour and tenderisers to reclaim the first layer with before it gets too late. (Un-)fortunately(?) the second layer is mostly flooded from what i saw.

Do we need to worry about undead magma crabs crawling out of the 'cano?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »

Nope, in the caverns you can construct walls up to the edges. Doing so allows you to just prevent cavern wildlife from entering the map, getting killed, and reanimating. Minecart crusher will probably be necessary for the second and third layers if we wish to keep the undead populations low, which will at least buy enough time to get squads down there to support construction crews going down there.

And no, only the surface wildlife will be undead.

I might be up for a turn, but it'll be a while; I've got a bunch of irl stuff going on for the next two weeks, so I don't want to make commitments I can't follow through with.

BudTomazi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2021, 06:54:11 pm »

I'd like to be dorfed and added to the turn list.  Its been a while since I played in a biome this difficult, so it should be interesting. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12