Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU  (Read 33663 times)

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2023, 06:58:58 am »

My reaction when I saw ur post:

I'm happy to see that this thread is not entirely dead. My concern is that because of the newer releases the safe-files won't be compatible any longer. I've purchased now the steam version to pay remedies to the creators – I was elusive on making a direct donation, out of fear of new technology. And I was not able to to play the Friendlytreason safe-file, I should try with the normal free release for windows. So far the new version has not convinced me as the labor system has been overhauled and I feel having much less control over work assignments.

dead, along with just about every other skilled dwarf in this fort

contrite
maybe contrite is bugged and adds +10000 happiness when an imprisoned dwarf experiences it sometimes.

stand the boredom anymore and goes berserk
We could use this mechanism for adamantine coin duplication.

shortest ‘Others’ list this fort has seen since its first year
Amazing, we did it... I was aiming for this. And oh wow you cleaned the killing corridor as well. A super overseer.

And you didn’t hear this from me, but I did play this fort on my own when I thought the thread withered: they can and will bring these demonic fucks in invasions. That was a season of unashamed turtling
Oh wow I didn't even know this was possible.. Were the demons aligned with the goblins? I hope the play you had wasn't meant for continuation though, wouldn't want to undue progress someone's made. I guess it is rather better to publish a version than zero to the thread.

I’ve trained a new weaponsmith and a new armorer; try not to kill these ones too.
yes sir
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:30:04 pm by xkcd1963 »

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2023, 07:36:16 am »

I'll throw my hat in for Overseership.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2023, 01:29:26 pm »

Well well, greetings fellow! Welcome to Friendlytreason! We hope you're ready for a warm ungodly welcome and a whole heap of fun! From the rolling hills to the lochs and glens, there's plenty to explore and enjoy. So, dinnae fash yersels, get ready for a grand adventure!
*chatgpt*

You can start right ahead nobody is in line :)

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2023, 01:30:57 pm »

Well well, greetings fellow! Welcome to Friendlytreason! We hope you're ready for a warm ungodly welcome and a whole heap of fun! From the rolling hills to the lochs and glens, there's plenty to explore and enjoy. So, dinnae fash yersels, get ready for a grand adventure!
*chatgpt*

You can start right ahead nobody is in line :)

Oh boy.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2023, 03:45:40 pm »

So, going through the first month so far, gotta say I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've gotten used to the lay out... sort of. Instead of messing with any of the fancy machinery and levers going on here, I'll just focus on doing something a bit simpler, making some high-value housing. A few of the Hammer Lords appear to be going through bouts of depression (not sure if that's normal), and I found a few dead bodies within the fort that have... gotten up but were quickly put back down, namely a Furnace Operator by the name of Kudol.

I also plan on making some facilities above that fancy lake. 

Edit, so I don't spam or anything: The save broke during my 2nd session some how. Progress lost. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. Whoever wants to go next can grab the previous save posted here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:40:47 am by Donnerino »

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2023, 02:57:27 pm »

So, going through the first month so far, gotta say I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've gotten used to the lay out... sort of. Instead of messing with any of the fancy machinery and levers going on here
We actually had a rule that stated "no levels are allowed to be removed" in order to add to the chaos and overwhelmingness, but I occasionally have removed some mechanics here and there.

appear to be going through bouts of depression (not sure if that's normal)
That is the default Friendlytreason je-ne-sais-quoi

Furnace Operator by the name of Kudol
Ah yes Kudol.. I didn't even know we still had Furnance Operators.

Edit, so I don't spam or anything: The save broke during my 2nd session some how. Progress lost. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. Whoever wants to go next can grab the previous save posted here.
I don't to have this problem because I admittedly safe-scum a lot with autosafe. But I keep telling myself one day I have an overseer's turn without safe-scumming.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
[0.47] The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2023, 10:01:21 am »

The save broke during my 2nd session some how. Progress lost. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. Whoever wants to go next can grab the previous save posted here.
'Save broke', as in it keeps crashing without any warning or message at a certain point? Because that sounds like the 'can't spawn were-chameleon on the map edge' that keeps happening in this fortress. And only in this fortress.

Does the save crash around the dates when Full Moons occur?
  • 25th Granite
  • 23rd Slate
  • 21st Felsite
  • 19th Hematite
  • 17th Malachite
  • 15th Galena
  • 13th Limestone
  • 10th Sandstone
  • 8th Timber
  • 6th Moonstone
  • 4th Opal
  • 2nd Obsidian
  • 28th Obsidian

There's no real fix for it, we just have to run the fort and keep rolling the dice until Dwarf Fortress succeeds. And then you'll have a were-chameleon on the surface :)

In completely unrelated news, I've been playing the game non-canonically, in order to go poke at the goblins. I shouldn't have bothered, because they keep poking at me; even more interestingly, the Ghouls of Whatever have brought half their demons in one invasion:

Obviously, I made a save with all of them on the map, so I can play around with multiple strategies; spoilered because of its non-canon status:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: forgot to mention, demon corpses don't rise from the dead. I don't have enough confidence to make a sweeping generalization that 'NO demons rise from the dead', but this was my experience with both steam and leech demons. It makes sense on some level: steam demons don't even leave a corpse behind, only a puddle of water, and leech demons only have 3 body parts (body & 2 wings); I suspect none of these parts have the fabled [GRASP] tag that allows a body or body part to rise from the dead, so that's why they're immune to the evil biome's resurrection effect.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 02:49:28 pm by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.47] The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2023, 06:59:57 pm »

In completely unrelated news, I've been playing the game non-canonically
Would you mind share your alternative safe file? I'm curious about these demons.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2023, 12:55:16 pm »

Here it is. I think I have some "pull levers" orders active, for the two bridges that seal the corridor.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:59:50 pm by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2023, 12:45:08 am »

I would very much like contribute some new ideas for this fort.

And potentially recondition any of the dwarves who elect to openly disagree with these new ideas.

Can I have the job? I'm taking it.

--------------
Currently in late spring. And we're definitely going places with this... New places... Scary places...

New government - New Rules - New social order
Also, everyone gets a number, and now consequently is that number.

Also, everyone has new hats. This is the best I could to giving them giant hats featuring bolded numbers corresponding to their rank/number/name designation.

A description of one of the hats.

And if they don't wear the hats, well...

The old mayor is #1, but #2 runs the fort. Idk what happened with #1. They sequestered themselves in some room after drawing these pigs all over the wall, and later died of insanity. Tragic, but interesting! In accordance with their design, the fort now functions according to their alleged will. However due to the biome effects, #1 continues to persist as an undead ghoul, still trapped in the pig chamber, who according to fort propaganda, continues to divulge their wisdom to the current leader #2 through hushed undead whispers of madness and paranoia; as well as haunting dream visions pertaining to occult pig-worshiping idolatry.

-----
"Yes, the fort continues to benefit from the wisdom of the former dead leader, who is now accursed in the eyes of both the living and dead. And yes, while this same very creature now wishes to devour all of this fort's inhabitants, we would like to remind citizens that this is, of course, no cause for alarm. We have tasked several committees with compiling and disseminating the truths the ghoul-father presents us. And we assure citizens that all specially appointed committee members must undergo a rigorous screening process, overseen by #2 himself, to verify the individual abilities of each committee member to discern the lies from esoteric cosmic truths from the unintelligible wails of mindless corpse monsters.

One such official subcommittee, presently working with the ghoul-father to discover his wisdom, would like to issue a statement for the general public's consideration at this time, which is as follows:
"Do not be alarmed!"

However, if you, or a party you belong to, do still feel alarmed, in spite of the very explicit instruction provided just now on behalf of the Calculators of Cultural Anticipation Subcommittee, you, and/or the party to whom you belong, are hereby requested to report immediately to a temporary holding cell pending arrangement with a Truth-Conciliation Adjudicator. An appointment shall be made available to you shortly in order for you, and/or the party to whom you belong, to address any and all safety concerns and grievances with the volcano. This will, in no uncertain terms, relieve you, and/or the party to whom you belong, of all concerns, personal aspirations, personal belongings, special assigned numerical identification aluminum cone-hats, flesh, and teeth which may, or may not, belong to you, or to other affiliated concerned party members who shall no doubt be meeting with the volcano shortly after you.

We hope you experience an unexciting and productive rest of your day!

[Please note: food-ration demerits issued as penalty for the destruction of one's special numerical identification cone hat will be redistributed among the closet relatives of a dwarf in the event of state-mandated volcano grievance addressal. Removing the hat prior to attending the meeting is not permitted, and will result in further food-ration demerits being issued to the grievance-addressed's next of kin, following the meeting.]"
------

I'll post a full log when I'm done.

Oh! So after #13, the old hammerer, went mysteriously missing, after having repeatedly refused to wear their designated #13 hat, we got a new #13/Hammerer, and they made a thing! "The Barb of Rot" - A fly chitin amulet
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 02:49:53 am by dikbutdagrate »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2023, 11:09:55 pm »

Alright, it's been a year and my turns over. Good luck to the next poor sucker who takes up the mantle of becoming the new #2.

Link to save file listing for FriendlyTreason - Winter of 239:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16375

Not going to have as much time for the write up I was planning. But I'll share what tidbits of the notes were compiled and weren't later incinerated for secrecy, which in addition to the last post, should provide enough of a summary of what happened.

----------------
Late winter 238:
Former Mayor, now known only as number 1, went crazy placed pig statues everywhere. Another dwarf, known only as number 2, has now taken over the fort as totalitarian dictator for life, for a year, by 5th of obsidian. A change in regime has occurred for FriendlyTreason and democracy, as an institution, is dismantled.

Everyone is given a number (wrote about it in the last post)

The fort commissions odd looking pig statues and glass windows. The new "mayor" is provided with an office befitting his title of the dictator for life, for the year. Golden pig statues are placed behind the crystal glass windows within the office, the purpose is alleged to be symbolic.

BIG CHANGE: Everyone has new hats!
(I wrote about this and shared screenshots of what the hats look like in the last post.)

Number 13, the old hammerer, did not see eye to eye with the regime, and would not put on his new hat, and was consequently cast into the fire of the volcano. Number 75 is promoted to Number 13 and designated as the new hammerer.

Early Spring 239:
Reduced thread production. Seriously wtf? Why is there so much thread? My game lags for like 10 minutes trying to view all of it in the stocks screen. I'm probably going to start tossing this stuff in the volcano.

Increased pig-watching propaganda.

Iconoclasm - A mob of citizens, loyal to the new regime, destroys the heretical church shrines of the false gods. The Fortress adopts a one size-fits-all cult-like worship of the hierarchical leader, Number two.

More people keep taking off their hats. More purgings ensue.

The new naming conventions have proven confusing to some of the dwarves.
Additional purging options for citizens who are ill-suited for the new regime are now being considered.

Mid Spring 239:
Number one succumbs to her insanity and passes on into undeath, wherein her mad whispers of pig worshiping idolatry continue to provide ever illuminating guidance for the party and the population as a whole.

More purgings.

The new Number 13 is apparently related to number two, and produces a strange artifact.
(Showed it in the last post. Bizarre fly-chitin amulet, which features bituminous coal and bumblebee chitin. Unclear where this stuff came from.)

Late Spring 239:
Begin project toss excess thread into the volcano.

I myself go nuts, and after having made all of these tiny little hats for the dwarves, and picking up and individually placing each one onto a citizen's head, a number of them won't wear them, and immediately take them off. I wrestle with these citizens for hours, just trying to keep their hats on on their stupid little heads. A couple of the dwarves are pretty good about wearing the hats, in fact, they won't take them off. The problem with these specific dwarves is that they're NOT wearing the RIGHT HATS. And everytime I try to get them to take them off, they immediately run away. I tried everything. I tried purging, I tried reconditioning, nothing works! Hours and hours of just micromanaging these STUPID LITTLE HATS, whose idea was this?! I've had it! These anti-hat maverick citizens are just going to take off their special individually numbered hats, no matter how much re-education I throw at them! I NEED HELP! Well, perhaps in more ways than one, but for this specific problem, I'm going to need help from the fellow loyalist dwarves.

An investigation reveals a conspiracy involving the military, who were clearly opposed to the new order of things, and subscribed to "enlightened" ideals concerning free hat wearing expression. They continued to wear their more effective metal combat helms.

And so, I disbanded the military.

In place of the military are now special designated Citizen-Uniform Verification Support & Wrestlemania Squads. These squads each have a leader, and will meet several times a year, in order to verify that citizens are wearing their special hats. They will likely also discuss how much they appreciate the leadership and sociocultural micromanagement provided to them at no expense by the new regime.

All citizens are placed into military squads with have no supplies and the requirement they wear a metal helm. All other metal helms aside from the aluminum and lea numbered ones are forbidden to ensure the specially individually forged ones are worn.

Early Summer 239:
Invasion starts - Perhaps dismantling the military was perhaps not the best idea.

Whatever, it's fine. The dwarves will continue to be trapped within the volcano/mountain fortress of information control and retrieval. And the goblins can stand there forever and get pecked to death by zombie owls, for all I care.

Mid Summer 239:
Top secret government research yields fruit. A new breed of surveillance attack pigs are grown, and now patrol amongst the citizenry, ensuring everyone wears their hat, lest they be devoured. The best part is that pigs wear hats too! These are special hats which signify their status. The pigs are truly loyal. No pig has removed their hat thus far.

Late Summer 239:
New state sanctioned cult of pig worship. Roman style temple, with similarly style roofing, is built.

Still haven't resolved the invasion crisis. Continue to assure the citizens to continue to maintain their unwavering confidence in the assured decisive victory of the state over the invaders. However, the state appears to be clueless how to even begin to approach the task.

Early Fall 239:
Evidently one of the local zombie eagles managed to slay a goblin even after its head got cut off, whose severed head was quickly reanimated by the biome and proceeded to join in on the fight. The goblin reanimated and chaos broke out amongst the goblin ranks. Siege lifts and goblins return home 5th o Limestone, 238.

Somehow, we manage to get a trade caravan into the fort alongside the fort liaison. Somehow they weren't devoured by the local wildlife.
I sell them a bunch of surplus meat in exchange for more aluminum and platinum bars.

Mid Fall 239:
The merchants leave, no incidents occur somehow.

Early Winter 239:
Annnnnndddd another invasion! Alright, I'm out of here.
-----------

Old Number Two out!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 02:57:29 am by dikbutdagrate »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2023, 01:58:49 am »

Babinushal – Nβzomkib
Friendlytreason – Dreamynet

Let us know if you are taking over and I'll happily add you to the succession list below. Being dorfed is welcome as well.

Rules

Successions
» year 193: xkcd1963 part 1
» year 194: Mobbstar part 1
» year 195: NordicNooob part 1 • part 2 • part 3 • part 4
» year 202: xkcd1963 part 1 • part 2 • part 3
» year 205: Bombyx Mori part 1 • part 2
» year 208: AvolitionBrit part 1 • part 2
» year 211: StrikaAmaru part 1 • part 2 • part 3 • part 4 • part 5
» year 215: AvolitionBrit part 1
» year 219: StrikaAmaru part 1 • part 2 • part 3 • part 4 • part 5
» year 220: AvolitionBrit part 1
» year 220: xkcd1963 part 1
» year 228: StrikaAmaru part 1 • part 2 • part 3 • part 4
» year 229: xkcd1963 part 1 • part 2 • part 3 • part 4 • part 5
» year 231: StrikaAmaru part 1
» next: Donnerino

You still updating the OP?

Also, to whoever takes over, I recommend the construction of a large clear glass dome atop of the volcano. Fill it with windmills or something, idk. Just lots of gears and spinning axels, and call it the Sub-fortress of Information. Maybe designate it as some kind of guild?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 02:51:15 am by dikbutdagrate »

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2023, 06:23:08 pm »

You still updating the OP?
Yes yes sorry it takes me a while, I wanted to respond properly

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2023, 08:18:24 am »

img
Are you also running df on macOS? I've the same issue with retina screenshots (2x the normal size)

...teeth which may, or may not, belong to you...
That has actual historical truth to it. Google reveals "George Washington's teeth"

A fly chitin amulet
Actual flies? Wow. With sponge sponge and an image of dwarves in pixie leather

dictator for life, for a year
xD

How.. how do you assign **helms** to pigs?

EDIT: I updated the OP. So who is our next overseer?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:27:53 am by xkcd1963 »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2023, 08:19:16 pm »

img
Are you also running df on macOS? I've the same issue with retina screenshots (2x the normal size)

How.. how do you assign **helms** to pigs?

EDIT: I updated the OP. So who is our next overseer?

About the screens:
I am, I was wondering what the deal with those screens was.

About the artifacts:
Macabre moods are wonderful things.

About the pigs:

About whose next:
Evidently nobody. Which is really a shame, as I was really looking forward to wherever this fort was going.
I guess someone could take another turn, or the thread can just linger around on page 1, getting the occasional bump, at least until someone bothers to take over for a year.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:25:29 pm by dikbutdagrate »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12