Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU  (Read 33653 times)

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2022, 01:10:12 pm »

One miner died
Oh yea I think that was me  :P feel free to dwarf me in again

I just love how long after this fort has died that hammer 05 and hammer 08 will still continue their eternal battle. Whilst Hammer 04 just watches them.
The hammer 08 weapon is a named waterskin with dwarfen rum in it and hammer 05 is strangling him right now...

I'm at 7 FPS now damn.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2022, 01:54:35 pm »

Avolitions Log - Date Unknown

Progress is going well, my library is coming together whilst my fortress beutification project continues. Alas a shame about my tower, it seems a different overseer has sealed up the staircase. A wise move considering what has been happening out there.

In other news the two titans twisted into undeath have been incinerated. Their beastial screams echoed through the fortress for days, truly haunting. As we dealt with that we have a new guardian/enemy. The cyclops has taken to killing the walking dead, which was useful. However it is likely we would be killed by the beast and that was before good old hammer 03, that beast cursed lost it. Her isolation in the outermost airlock got to her and she busted down the door and charged the beast. Giving it the werebitchameleon curse. Since then Akera Graymine the Duties of Questing has been put into stalemate against the undead werebit who heal the blows dealth by the great beast.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2022, 02:23:35 pm »

24th Moonstone, 213

A great creature with two heads has come. These two large foes are yet to meet but they are sure to come to head. The beast has two legendary weapons, a bow and a copper halberd. This will be interesting.

Drunken scholar

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2022, 08:42:30 am »

One miner died
Oh yea I think that was me  :P feel free to dwarf me in again

I can proudly say that no named dwarves died during my turn :P The miner was one Minkot, (s)he had just arrived as a migrant. That said, 'you' and Bombix Moriii were regrettably dead when my turn started.

Oh, by the way. I completely forgot about a death in 209 -- a recruit who trekked across the surface for gear, and got ambushed by undead before reaching it. Which only means that I... really do have one dead dwarf per year. Huh.

> Alas a shame about my tower, it seems a different overseer has sealed up the staircase. A wise move considering what has been happening out there.
I wanted the depot room to be sealable, and the tower's staircase got in the way. I've built a temporary wall in its place. Not like I was going to do anything with it...

> In other news the two titans twisted into undeath have been incinerated.
Good job, and good riddance.

[...] before good old hammer 03, that beast cursed lost it. Her isolation in the outermost airlock got to her and she busted down the door and charged the beast. Giving it the werebitchameleon curse. Since then Akera Graymine the Duties of Questing has been put into stalemate against the undead werebit who heal the blows dealth by the great beast.
I'm pretty sure megabeasts can't get any curses? Something about tags... that I looked up once but don't remember now.

(also, edit b/c I didn't answer to this last week)

So the non-magma safe blocks that can be used to contain the magma don't melt?

Yep. Walls and floors are not subject to temperature/fire calcs, for some reason. So you can hold back magma with a wall made of wood, or even ice, and the only effect is that it will get warm. Presumably, it will eventually be changed, but for the time being we all live with it. In the same vein, there are no real material restrictions -- you can make walls and floors out of ash (because ash is a bar, and therefore a perfectly valid build material), you can dam a river with soap constructions and no melting is ever considered, etc.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:08:50 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2022, 01:19:45 pm »

Sooo, two weeks passed. How is it going AvolitionBrit?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2022, 01:28:06 pm »

Oh dam, sorry i thought i had posted it. I will upload, the later years didn't go well

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Drunken scholar

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2022, 02:20:14 pm »

Thanks. I guess it's StrikaAmaru's turn now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:04:47 pm by xkcd1963 »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2022, 07:27:39 am »

I guess it is. And I gotta say, this is not the problem I expected to have to tackle first:

Allllso, we've lost all control of the surface, which is now full of zombies and one eerie mist ettin. Somewhat related, population dropped from 75 to 48. And the second cave is still generating lag for days.

But, it's not all horror and bad news -- the two trapped zombie titans died in magma:

Which surprises me a bit; I thought undead don't burn in lava? But I guess that was a bug and was fixed; no more eternally fire-proof undead, just a smear on the ground:

But that's all for later, food first.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2022, 07:38:29 am »

The material they made from got so hot it just melted into grease as for food, not to sure how we reach that but i suspect that the zombie that killed some livestock just destroyed the egg supply.

Drunken scholar

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2022, 03:48:20 am »

Food got solved pretty quickly, by slaughtering two of our remaining bugbats; half the fort rushed to the butchery to claim one chunk of meat each. This indirectly caused both rawhides to rise from the dead: with everybody busy eating, nobody even tried to tan them. They’re not actually a problem, they both got trapped in the cage traps around the butchery. The army will be later called to re-kill them, and then they’ll be processed properly.

Meanwhile, I’m shutting down brewing, and ordering some plump helmets to be gathered from the spontaneous flora in the caverns. That should tide us over until a new batch of plump helmets grow in the farm. And looking at plant stocks, it’s obvious that I can safely disable all other kinds of farming for the rest of my turn: we seem to be drowning in cave wheat and sweet pods (both of which can be brewed, but not eaten raw).

For the near future at least, the farm has been disabled, except for one plot producing plump helmets ad infinitum. I’ve also built a kitchen in the plants stockpile, to cook some of those plants; this does destroy seeds, but it’s not like anything can go permanently extinct, we have an eternal backup on the cavern floors.

On to the next crisis: clothing. More than half the clothes currently in use by dwarves are tattered (aka, they’re XclothesX, aka, they have wear level 2 or even 3). Besides giving bad thoughts on their own, it also means we’re only a coupla months away from an epidemic of nakedness. I added automated tasks for making clothes in my last turn, but their trigger conditions have been set way too strictly -- they’re supposed to launch when less than 10 unclaimed clothes exist in the fort. This unfortunately also counts all the unreachable clothes on the surface, so the tasks practically never fire.

For the time being, I've upped the limit to 100 (which might be too high, but I’ll deal with it later), and I’ve manually chained up the five basic clothes -- shoes, trousers, shirts, gloves, caps -- before using cleanowned X to ditch the worst offenders. This also released back to the fort a bunch of prepared meals, that some bloody fool has been ‘storing’ on the floor of his room:

A dwarf was thrown in a cage for “failing to meet mandates”, and has been left there until she went irretrievably insane:

She, and her cage, will eventually get thrown in the atom smasher, but right now I have more important things to do.

While everybody eats and hauls rags, I turn my eyes towards the surface. Which is filled with a depressing number of (un)dead dwarves, and one eerie mist zombie ettin. The ettin doesn’t seem to carry any mist contaminants, but does carry two named weapons. One of those is a shitty bow worth only 30 dorfbucks, but the second is an actual artifact halberd that has been well-used:

Spoiler: Halberd Kills (click to show/hide)

Since I don’t want to risk any spread of the eerie mist syndrome, the surface is getting cleaned via traps. The left-side corridor looks like a good spot for the task; a line of cage traps gets built in all but two spots, which got bypassed because they held masterwork engravings, and building cages on top would have destroyed them. Then the door gets unlocked, and every zombie on the surface rushes in:

I’m a bit surprised the doors can still be locked and unlocked afterwards; I’d have expected them to be ‘taken by invaders’ and uncontrollable by the fort until a dwarf passes through them to reclaim them. Either the conditions have been relaxed, or undead don’t count.

While the cages were being built, the life, death, and undeath of the fortress carried on. A sleeping mason was attacked by a violent ghost, and got his leg ripped off. Somehow, he managed to not wake up through the whole ordeal, and is peacefully still napping amidst the ruins of his own battered foot:

The leg didn’t rise, which surprised me; it even got to sit around for nearly a month, seeing as everybody was busy. Six dead dwarves were then memorialized.

The second cavern was untouched by us, although the time draws ever nearer. During the above-mentioned preparations, we’ve been visited by two Forgotten beasts; the first one is once again placidly sitting in a tree, but the second one started a fight with the resident zombies and got instantaneously murdered. It won't rise again, since its corpse is both mangled and mutilated:

The second cave now has at least 4 forgotten beasts, 3 of them living and the last zombified. Minimum.

-----------
This was the progress for around six months; so mid-winter 215 to mid-summer 216. My FPS is around 4, but that's during work hours (so DF has serious competition for processor and RAM). Next up: I'll do my best to tackle the second cavern. I may or may not fail miserably.

Apropos of nothing, Miss Aban OarPost, one of the eerie mist zombies, has briefly appeared in Dwarf Therapist, thus allowing me a glimpse at her stats.

She was listed as a guest (with name in italics and uneditable jobs), and she didn’t stick around for long. I’ve looked around for her since then, and she never reappeared. I’m assuming Dwarf Therapist has briefly glitched; when she showed up the first time, I had just changed settings from hiding children, to showing them.

[edit] Miss Aban keeps appearing and disappearing from Dorf Therapist; I'm guessing there must be something wonky in her loyalties. That said, I'm not letting her out; she's still an eerie mist zombie, opposed to life.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:14:01 am by StrikaAmaru »

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2022, 07:22:53 am »

The Creepy Sacrifice xd
Damn, if we could turn Aban OarPost to our side somehow through reviving her as intelligent undead, we would have a great help.
Yes I also got confused about "taken by invaders" seems like it does not apply to undead.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2022, 11:09:21 am »

Part 2 (216 winter - 217 autumn)

The final pre-obsidianizing preparations have occupied the next half of the year. Everybody is already clothed, we’re doing decently with food, and two little projects have been started in the first and third cave. Namely, two rooms were built on the edge, their floors covered in cages, and then a small portion of the wall torn down. Yep, I just deliberately ruined the cave seals.

I’m hoping that having spawn options in all caves will make the second cave a little less busy when it’s time to wall it up. Also, as you can probably figure out, the trap room for the third cave was really badly planned. So, I tore it down and rebuilt it; the exit of the corridor had to conform to the existing hatch airlock, resulting in an… interesting… design. Whatever, it’s supposed to work well, not look good.

And it definitely does work well, because the third cave spawns a whole bunch of beasts; a good half of them are crundles, of course, but we also got some rutherers, reachers, elk birds, etc. Most of them have been tamed and slaughtered; our meat stocks have gone from absent to overflowing. The only survivors are 3 crundles, who now make up the fort’s only breeding animals (as it's recommended, as soon as they produce the first generation, they’ll get butchered). The semi-sapient animals (plump helmet people and gorlaks), were assigned to a built cage nearby, and were left there.

(This little misadventure resulted in 3 civilian deaths, bringing the population to 45).

Apropos of nothing, I remade the hospital, and temporarily moved the well above a spot in the pond with 2-deep water. The previous well had run dry; or rather, water level finally dropped at 3. Dwarves keep using it for washing themselves… which I can’t really blame them for, now can I?

The well is temporary due to safety concerns; its new water source very much allows critters to climb up into ‘safe’ fort areas. A new well is getting built… somewhere, as soon as I figure out a spot for a cistern.

It is now winter, I’ve run out of distractions, I have 3 very unhappy dwarves and 2 unhappy ones, let’s punch some holes in a volcano.

The first target is the northern lake; it (probably) has no Forgotten Beasts around, so if I screw anything up it shouldn’t be that much of a disaster. A single-tile channel will carry magma to the northern edge, then be redistributed closer to the intended target, by way of other channels. Unfortunately for this log, screenshots of the channels make no sense outside of their context, so they’ll get skipped. Instead, I’ll focus on their effects.

The initial plan for moving magma did not include any pumps, and relied on normal flow to move the magma. I’m not doing that again, because it took about five months and achieved mediocre results. It did have results, obviously -- the zombie tree was partially set on fire, many of the zombies loitering in water got annihilated via obsidian casting, the map edge itself was partially obsidianized, and is about 2/3rds of the way ready for construction (so it’s not yet ready). Between late obsidian 216 when magma started falling, and the start of summer 217 when flow was cut, mob numbers went from 359 ‘living’ & 286 dead to 288 / 422.

Lastly, the three very unhappy dwarves have survived carving a fortification in the volcano; yay for them. Unfortunately, all three of them keep tantruming, beating up dwarves, destroying all sorts of things, and generally exhausting my reserves of patience. The spring of 217 was their last season alive; they were, at last, convicted of the long, long list of transgressions they’ve committed, soundly beaten, then they were locked in their respective hospital pods. By summer, the fort was home to 42 dwarves.

… I should build cage traps in the hospital pods. That may well save a lot of trouble in the future.

Summer started with a few small changes to the magma channel -- namely, the addition of 3 pumps to put some pressure in the flow. It’s not a super-safe system, and a small bout of magma flooding already took place when I stupidly let the ‘input’ pump going after the ‘output’ ones had stopped.

But, the desired blob of obsidian has expanded noticeably. This section of the edge is fully sealed, and can be built on top; minus that tiny tree that’s still home to ~15 zombies. I’m not counting the zombies caught below the tree; those are completely enclosed, they can’t exit until the obsidian is dug out. They’ll be eventually dealt with manually, with the army’s intervention. That’s part of the reason why I expanded the military; that, and just… well, did you look where we are?

Now, this took until end-autumn; the new death score is 279/449 (~160 new deaths, only 3 of which were dwarven). Let’s talk about what else I’ve done in the meantime.

Firstly, the army was expanded and armored some more. There are now 16 hammerers (only 10 of whom have skills), 2 axe-dwarves, and 5 crossbow-dwarves. We’ve spent all copper bars making some very crappy armor (because somehow both our skilled armorer and weaponsmith have been killed). But there is still not enough for everyone, so the surface will have to be opened. The military can pick up armor, and the civilians can reload the traps. As well as whatever else, I guess.

I’ll have to delay a bit though, another were-whatever popped up:

So I’ll take the opportunity to drop another bridge: the one keeping the hammerer eerie mist zombies sealed.

Aban and Mistem pay no attention; they’re still locked in their tireless struggle. But the third one, Shem, rushes for the exit… and is promptly caught in a trap. Too bad s/he has no armor or weapon:

For the endless dancers, another plan is underway: a corridor was dug out parallel to the wall, and fortifications carved into it. The five crossbow-dwarves will eventually fire at the fighters. I’d expect all their shots to miss or get deflected; they’re relatively low-level, their bolts are carved from bone, and their enemies are clad in adamantine. I’ll keep track of archers’ levels progression, though -- for the record, we have one dude at level 9, three at 8, and one at 4. If they can’t kill the dancers, at least they can level up.

But that’s autumn stuff, let’s get back to summer. Dwarves are on the surface, rushing in all directions. Armor gets picked, cages are reloaded, occupied cages are hauled to the basement, and so are all the corpses on the surface. Dwarves seem to have a fairly strict priority about tasks that are in the same category, they pick them more or less in the order they’re listed in the {j}obs screen. So, traps were handled because they were their own separate job type, but the hauling jobs executed in order: first refuse and corpse hauling, then storing random food items in barrels, then storing in bins, in bags, and lastly in the hospital. Well, that was educational, but also annoying, since nobody got around to dumping a few choice items. And by now it’s nearing autumn, so the outdoor excursion is canceled. Back into the fort!

Oh, and the army is still not fully kitted out. Screw it, I’m going to carve out a proper smithy and bar storage.

And that’s where the end of autumn found me: with a mostly-completed smithing complex, and most dwarves hauling stone.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2022, 08:39:30 am »

Nice =D I assume you just continue to play? I'm not eager right now to take a turn, but if you get weary let me know.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2022, 09:04:53 am »

Down to take a turn

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12