Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Files using Ubuntu Package  (Read 1476 times)

hamlin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Save Files using Ubuntu Package
« on: August 10, 2021, 02:39:36 pm »

OK, I admit defeat. After several hours of scouring my system, I have located most of the data that I'm familiar with, (init, d_init, etc...) but I simply cannot locate the save data for my worlds.

Where does the Ubuntu package store that, please?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Save Files using Ubuntu Package
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 07:51:46 pm »

Couldn't you try running a search for "region1" or whatever?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hamlin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 09:34:24 pm »

Yep. I've done that. No results, even though I have two active worlds. Thanks, though.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 05:29:02 pm »

I would guess the same place as on Lunbuntu
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 01:00:24 am »

I would guess the same place as on Lunbuntu

Thread doesn't mention where save files are stored.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 02:10:32 am »

Not, specifically - but they're almost certainly in the /home/user/.config/dwarf-fortress/ which is mentioned.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 04:56:17 pm »

Not, specifically - but they're almost certainly in the /home/user/.config/dwarf-fortress/ which is mentioned.

Could also be in "/usr/share/..."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 06:33:08 pm »

Very unlikely, that is where the files common to all users are put. User specific files - like saves - are put in each users /home/user/.config/dwarf-fortress/. That's the whole point of having two places.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 05:16:40 am »

There are ways to list all the files which are accessed by a particular process. See the answers to this stackoverflow question.
Try running
Code: [Select]
lsof -p [PID] (where [PID] is the ID of the Dwarf Fortress process) while saving or loading a fortress. There will probably be a lot of output but somewhere in there will be the save directory.

You can get the PID of DF from the System Monitor program, or with something like
ps -ef | grep dwarf
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 05:19:54 am by Moeteru »

hamlin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 04:46:25 pm »

There are ways to list all the files which are accessed by a particular process. See the answers to this stackoverflow question.
Try running
lsof -p [PID] (where [PID] is the ID of the Dwarf Fortress process) while saving or loading a fortress. There will probably be a lot of output but somewhere in there will be the save directory.

You can get the PID of DF from the System Monitor program, or with something like
ps -ef | grep dwarf

Thank you SO much.

For the record, the files were located in ~/.local/share/dwarf-fortress/run/data/saves.