Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: [IC] Trespassers v2: Griftlands: The Bog Brawl  (Read 16458 times)

StormLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Hurricane Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Trespassers v2: Griftlands: The Bog Brawl
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 08:36:37 am »

Friedhold & Nessa
[]What happened

While Utzi examines the beast and talks to Shel Friedhold instead approaches the seeming leader of the group of uniformed men.
"What has happened here?

Nessa instead decides the beast is by far more interesting than the people around her.  She wanders up to the head of it, making faces and imitating roars all the while.
We are born, out of storm and thunder,
Raised, tear the worlds asunder,
Sent, in the darkest hour,
By the hands of power.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 11:34:12 am »

Tsubasa

[]Ask the uniformed man who he is

Evidently there was a dispute to settle here. The people so far seem very quick to violence. That's worrying. She moved closer to the group, trying to avoid making a show of the fact that she was also armed and garbed strangely (relatively speaking,) and first got the attention of the uniformed man. "We're new to this area. What's your organization?" Tsubasa wondered if anyone would pick up that her clothing was a uniform at all, adorned with her haori as it was.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2021, 07:26:36 am »

Group 1: Ehto, Rory, Hibiki

Sal tensed up as the standoff with the Baron happened, and relaxed as Hrikit backed off. "You know what? Maybe we could all do with a drink. Might also be good to hear what's up before we make our choice..." She sighs when Hibiki suggests that Sal pay. "Should've seen that coming. Okay, but just for the one round, all right? Would rather not drink away my coin before we actually get a job done, right?"

[] Beat up Hrikit: She still has it coming.
   = You won't use weapons for this, so you won't have to worry about serious injury or death.
   - Beating up a Spark Baron is probably not going to do your reputation with them any good. Or Hrikit herself, for that matter.
[] Head into Grout Bog proper: With the guard demanding you enter now, you don't really have much choice.
   [] Head to the Last Stand: Drinks and gossip sound like they could both be useful.
   [] Head to the Regional Headquarters: Hrikit said this was the place to go to help deal with the problem Grout Bog was facing.
   [] Just wander the area: The other group's already doing something similar. May as well do the same, right?
Hibiki
[] Head to the Last Stand: Drinks and gossip sound like they could both be useful.

Hibiki smiled a little in response, seemingly trying to pay as little attention as possible to the defusing situation, "Sounds good to me, might as well get in touch with the locals and get some rest before we hunt down that Flead Queen right? Or whatever it is we're here for." And with that said, she simply turned around and walked off to the Last Stand, with Sal in tow hopefully.
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2021, 04:45:14 pm »

Group 1: Ehto, Rory

Hrikit just nods wordlessly as the two leave for the Headquarters. The building itself can be seen pretty easily from the gate, and the route is signposted, so it's an uneventful walk.

The area in front of the headquarters itself is abuzz with activity, though. Laborers move about supplies, Barons give orders and fix up equipment, and robots stand over the crowd, watching for anyone who might cause trouble.

A Spark Baron - one dressed similarly to Hrikit - approaches the two, introducing himself as the factory manager, Imiko. "Hrikit let me know you'd be heading here. If you'd like to put yourselves in harm's way instead of us, that's fine by me. Problem is, we're still tracking down the nest, and we're fighting a lot of fires right now. We've got intel of an upcoming attack on one of our storehouses, a Bogger camp, and there's tensions brewing at the Caffy. Don't know where the rest of your group wandered off to, but let them know what you've picked. Unless you think you can handle the situation yourselves."

Choose (any number of...) :
[] The storehouse attack: "We've been analyzing the intel our network's given us, and we believe an attack is imminent, though we don't know who exactly we'll be fighting. I'd like to have someone to support the forces there, since we've been spread pretty thin these past few days."
   - "We don't know when the attack will happen, so if you're taking this job, get there ASAP."
[] The Bogger camp: "The Boggers usually keep to themselves in the Deep Bog to the East, but... as of late, they've been growing more and more aggressive. We've found one of their camps - head there and clear the camp out."
   = "The Boggers don't appear to be moving at the time being, so if you need to prepare to confront them, you should have the time to do so."
   + "The main goal is to get rid of the Boggers, but if you could get any intel from them about what they're planning, what their movements are, or what happened to the Deep Bog expedition, there's a bonus in it for you."
[] The tensions at the Caffy: "I don't know how it started, but there's a bunch of disgruntled workers at the Caffy. Our most recent report said they're beginning to argue over the rations we've got - we should have enough for all the workers, but if things escalate, that'll be trouble for all of us."
   - "Again, things are beginning to get tense already, so if you want to help, get there quick as you can."
   = "I don't know if the workers will be able to see reason, so... do what you have to..."
   - "Just make sure you do not kill anyone. Understood?"
[] Ask Imiko about:
   [] A different set of missions: Perhaps your skills lie elsewhere?
   [] The situation in Grout Bog: How did things get this bad in the first place? He did mention an expedition...
   [] Who the Boggers are: This is the first you've heard of this group. Who are they, and what's their place in Grout Bog?
   [] Something else: As someone trying to coordinate the Barons, Imiko probably has a good understanding of the situation. You hope.

Group 2: Sal, Hibiki

The walk to the Last Stand is an uneventful one, though the bar itself has a raucous scene. Most of the tables are full, and it takes a while just for Sal to find a place for the two to sit. As the gruff bartender, Hebbel, serves the two a round (on Sal's tab, of course), they pick up a nearby conversation between two people about some cache of treasures within the Bog.

"And you want me to help you?"

"Of course! This isn't just something I can go in and take by myself. I've got a map and everything! We might not get another chance!"

"I... no. It's... too dangerous out there, Wikka. With the Boggers as riled up as they are, the Flead Queen, and the casualties rising every day..."

"Dad... I've planned for this. We'll be fine."

"It isn't a question of planning. It's... It's the Deep Bog. Anything could be out there - things none of us could prepare for. And if something happened to you..."

The conversation continues, with the father and daughter continuing to debate the risks of pursuing the cache.

[] Ask the two about the cache: You might be able to help them out.
[] Try to eavesdrop and figure out where the cache is yourself: If you beat them to the cache first (assuming they'll even go after it), you'll have its contents all to yourself.
[] Talk to Sal: She's mostly been looking around the bar with a slight frown on her face, though she has overheard the talk about heading into the Deep Bog. She seems worried, especially after hearing that the two are father and daughter.
[] Ignore them and listen for something else: Heading into the Deep Bog sounds dangerous, and whatever 'treasures' the Bog holds might not be worth the risk. Better not to get involved.

Group 3: Utzi, Friedhold and Nessa, Tsubasa

Both Shel and Malo raise an eyebrow when Utzi comments on the creature's size, but the Shroke speaks up as soon as he finishes. "Exactly, and she's not a hunter of any kind! She's just some incompetent who drew the beast towards us in the first place!"

"I-I had nothing to do with it showing up!" Shel has trouble meeting Malo or Utzi' gazes as she says this.

"Oh yeah? Everything was perfectly fine until you started advertising your 'services' at the top of your lungs!"

"And I just demonstrated those services at great personal risk! I'm owed compensation! J-just give me what I'm owed, and I'll go, okay?"

Sensing weakness, Malo shakes his head. "You get to leave here unharmed. That's the only compensation you're getting."

After a few moments where he puts his hand on his face, he turns to Tsubasa. "You've never heard of the Rise, huh? Well, just know that we're freedom fighters. Fighting for the rights of workers everywhere. Grout Bog especially."

"And grifters don't count as workers?"

The Rise man sneers derisively. "Those workers are sweating and dying every day. All you're doing is swindling people after putting them in danger."

As Nessa approaches the beast's corpse and makes roaring noises, everyone jumps, and Malo points a finger at Friedhold, quaking with surprise and anger. "Hey, what's she doing here? This isn't a place for children!" As Nessa nears the beast's head, she might notice that it appears to be... twitching on the inside?

[] Try to resolve the situation: It's clear that the two might come to blows unless something is done.
   [] Take a side: Something needs to be done to end this conflict before it gets worse.
   - Whoever you side against probably won't be happy.
   - Everyone seems tense. If you can't at least explain your decision a little bit, things might get violent... and messy.

[] Attempt to fight off one of the two: It looks like things will get violent. Might as well get it over with.
   - If you try to fight of Malo, his colleagues will defend him.
   - Whoever you try to fight off will likely be furious.
   - Both parties are prepared to draw weapons. While you're not at risk, the others are... and people's deaths will have consequences.

[] Attempt to calm the two down: It's probably better to stop the two from going at each other's throats before you make your decision.
[] Leave the two to work out their differences: You didn't ask to get dragged into this mess. You're not going to help either of them. That's that.

Spoiler: Character Images (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2021, 05:06:37 pm »

Ehto
[] Ask Imiko about:
   [] The situation in Grout Bog & Who the Boggers are

It didn't take Ehto long to figure out which path she was leaning towards. As well and good as defending a warehouse and diffusing yet another potential brawl was, they were here to take care of the root of these recent occurrences. She had a sneaking suspicion that whatever it was, they'd only find it by heading deeper into the swamp.

"Hmmm, I see," She said, "Before we deliberate, it would be helpful to have some more context. What happened here, first of all? How did things get to this point? And who are these Boggers exactly, natives to the area? Did you ever have any issues with them before this mess started?"
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2021, 05:17:34 pm »

Utzi

Utzi notes the young woman failing to look him in the eyes as she speaks, and his face hardens slightly. "Beasts are not stupid. They lack the intelligence of the folk, but they do not lack it completely. A beast wouldn't dare go into a camp with so many people around. It would know it would certainly die, even if it managed to take a few men with it. Beasts don't want to die. They want to live long enough to eat and make more beasts." As Utzi speaks, he glances at the animal, attempting to see if it was starving or suffering from sort of obvious disease that would explain it's behavior, just in case.  "What were your "Services" that you were doing? Perhaps you did something to lure it here on accident? If so, you should know what it is so you can avoid finding yourself in this situation in the future. I do not believe that this is a simple coincidence, but it may have been a mistake, so drawing weapons over it would be a waste of people that could prove useful when times get hard."

Utzi turns to Nessa as he finishes attempting to calm things slightly. "She is very nearly an adult. She must be past the age of her first hunts already. If she does not learn the skills necessary for survival now while her caretakers still live, she will be far less able to carry her weight when she is grown."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:23:32 pm by nuclearwhale »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2021, 06:26:07 pm »

Tsubasa
[]Attempt to calm the two down

The swordswoman raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Let's just calm down for a moment. There are plenty of things around to get people killed without us killing each other or driving each other off so those other things can get them." She'd seen more than one Slayer accosted by well-meaning and utterly non-understanding people, and it tended to not help with hunts, to say the least. "What, exactly, happened? After we explain that, calmly, we can choose the right way."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 07:03:25 am by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StormLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Hurricane Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2021, 01:57:23 am »

Friedhold & Nessa

Friedhold turns to look at Nessa as she gives everyone a scare.
"Get away from that.  I do not want you to catch something."
He turns back, giving a nod to Utzi's comment.
"What he said...ehh sort of."

Nessa pulls back as Freidhold tells her to get away from the creature, but then hunches down and turns her head to get a better look at its throat without getting any closer.  She glances up to Utzi.
"I don't think he's an angel yet, he's still moving inside."
We are born, out of storm and thunder,
Raised, tear the worlds asunder,
Sent, in the darkest hour,
By the hands of power.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2021, 05:15:55 pm »

Utzi
Utzi gives Nessa a little smile, and crouches down next to her. "If it's still moving, it's still a potential danger. We can't have it getting back up. I'll get this one for you, but you should get it next time." With the calm, even tone of someone explaining something to a child, the caveman speaks as he rips one of his spears off his back, and thrusts it into the beast's neck.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:50:43 pm by nuclearwhale »

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 09:10:07 am »

Hibiki
Hibiki's eyes glances over the pair as she gently nurses her mug of light beer, the supposed rider seeming more interested in her drinking partner's reactions than anything else, and it takes a bit before she finally asks, "You think they have a chance? With how bad it is out there lately."
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 05:08:09 pm »

Rory

The faunus for a few moments thought about just letting Ehto handle this since he wasn't certain whatever he was going to say was going to result in someone getting the shit kicked out of them. But with there being two time sensitive jobs on the line and the rest of the group had fucked off to leave the real work to them, they didn't have the luxury of taking things on in respectable groups.
"Is that all you know about the Caffy situation or is there more that we should know?"

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 10:08:59 pm »

Group 1: Ehto, Rory

"Well, I'm not privy to all the details, but the Regional Manager went off on an expedition into the Deep Bog. Something about how they were going to finally eliminate the Rise..." Imiko shakes his head,  "It's been about two days since his team was supposed to return." The Jarackle fiddles with his monocle nervously. "Things had been getting bad enough with the Rise and Boggers until then, but now..." He looks like he's about to sigh, but stops himself. "We're in a lot of trouble. But that's what you're here to help with, right?"

"The Boggers themselves... Some of the people who live in Grout Bog - the Deep Bog more specifically - consider this land sacred. They've opposed our efforts to mine it ever since we arrived, but now? Whatever happened in the Deep Bog... they know. They know we've only an Acting Regional Manager and a limited number of forces, and they're pressing the advantage as hard as they can. More attacks, more wildlife pushed towards our positions... And it looks like they've been... doing things to the animals, too... though we haven't exactly had the time to conduct a detailed analysis of their alterations."

"As for the Caffy situation?" Imiko thinks for a moment. "Well, you can imagine that the workers aren't happy to be caught in this situation at all. Many of them were already sympathizing with the Rise - that's a group interested in overthrowing the Barons - and these recent incidents have only entrenched their distaste for Spark Baron leadership. It's one reason we haven't sent our own people to handle it - besides being relatively low-priority compared to armories and storehouses, I fear that if we need to use force to stop the conflict, the workers will only hate the Barons more. If a third party, like yourselves were to get there... Even if things turned bad, we'd have plausible deniability."

"So, which job are you interested in? Or was there something else you wanted to ask?"

[] The storehouse attack
[] The Bogger camp
[] The tensions at the Caffy
[] Ask Imiko something else

Group 2: Sal, Hibiki

Sal shakes her head. "I think we should stop them. If half the things we've heard are true... it isn't worth the risk."

Leaving her seat and approaching the two, Sal says to Wikka, "Your father's right, you know. With everything going on right now, it's way too dangerous to go out there."

The Shroke laughs off Sal's concerns. "If safety were such a big concern for me, I wouldn't have this job! Besides, I've got this all planned out. Hey, you wanna earn a few shills?"

"Wikka, please, there's-"

"In and out. Five minute adventure, and you can even have some of the artifacts! What do you two say?"

"Listen to your-"

"No, not you!" Wikka waves away Sal's words, pointing to Hibiki instead. "You. Wanna come with?"

Group 3: Utzi, Friedhold and Nessa, Tsubasa

Malo takes a few deep breaths to calm himself. "I... You're right. It's just... in between Baron crackdowns and Bogger activity... Things are looking bad for us."

"We were out on patrol, looking for those creatures, when one of the passers-by -" He points to Shel, now more crestfallen than anything else, "- noticed us and started asking to work with us. I tried to refuse, but, well... she was... insistent."

"I didn't get where I was by backing down!" Shel puffs out her chest, seemingly not aware that Malo's just trying to be polite.

"When I managed to get across that we didn't need help... that Grawkit showed up," Malo says, gesturing towards the corpse Nessa had been poking at. "Wait a second..."

Shel's eyes narrow as she awkwardly unsheathes her dagger, trembling hands betraying her nerves. "I-I think it really is still moving!"

That's when Utzi's spear gets the beast in the neck. The spear pulls back, covered in both blood and...

Malo's eyes widen at the sight. "Spark? I heard that the Boggers were getting more aggressive, but I never thought they'd... do this to the wildlife."

Shel's smug grin returns once more, though there's a hint of concern. "So that creature really was a threat. If not to us, to some other group of hapless travelers."

Malo almost snaps at Shel, but thinks better of it. "Yes, you're right." He quickly passes the assembled people - minus Nessa - some kind of makeshift grenade. "If you encounter any more of these... things, this might help. We'll take care of the corpse. Maybe if we move fast enough, we can catch the Boggers responsible. In the mean time, though, you should get out of here, before the stench attracts more of them..."

Malo gives the party:
3 x Fuel Canister - Deals 2d4+DEX damage and applies 5 Burn to three random enemies. Destroyed upon use.
“There’s always time for a Barbeque.”
      Level 1 (Base) -     Deals 2d4+DEX damage and applies 5 Burn to three random enemies. Destroyed upon use. At the end of every turn, enemies with Burn lose health equal to the stacks of Burn they have, while also dealing half as much damage to all enemies within 5 INIT of each other. Burn decays by half at the end of each turn, unless the target also has Scorched.

As the party's getting a safe distance away from Malo and his corpse disposal methods, they notice Shel's continuing to follow them...

[] Talk to Shel
[] Head to The Last Stand
[] Head to Grout Bog Regional Headquarters
[] Continue to wander the area

Group 4: Carlito

Carlito had known that something was wrong for... a long time, really. It could have been the vague sense of cosmic dread, the visions he'd had, or the fact that instead of pavement, he was now stepping on sheet metal and scrap wood.

Standing before Carlito is an suspicious-looking hooded figure who gives him a friendly wave. "Ah, there you are. I'll be brief - there's a lot of trouble going on in this region. Do what you can to help out, but be careful. Can't afford to have you dropping dead this time." She gives Carlito concise directions to The Last Stand and Grout Bog Regional Headquarters, then hands him an envelope of... something. "This should help." And with that, the figure turns around a corner and disappears.

Carlito has joined the team! He's currently in a Worker's Shantytown.

The party gains 5 Mettle! This strange currency has no readily apparent use, but it may come in handy at certain moments...

[] Head to The Last Stand
[] Head to Grout Bog Regional Headquarters
[] Wander the area

Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:29:52 pm by AzyWng »

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:48 pm »

Utzi
Talk to Shel
Utzi turns away from the chaos once he's sure that Malo's group has things well under control, and begins to wander Grout Bog once again, a look of deep confusion plain on his face. As he wanders, he stops as he realizes that Shel is still following the group. For a few moments, he stares at the young woman, one of his eyebrows cocked high above the rest of his face. Finally, he shakes his head, and decides to make the most of it.
"What is "Spark"?"

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2021, 09:09:14 am »

Ehto

[]The Bogger Camp

"As much as I'd like to help with the other stuff," Ehto mulled it over for a moment, "I'm fairly sure the boggers are the quickest route to figuring out what's going on with this swamp and putting an end to it. Since the others decided they didn't want to be here, they don't exactly get to weigh in on the decision. So I guess I'll have to be the responsible one and prioritize the reason we're here in the first place."
    She then turned to Rory,  "What about you, Rory? There's enough of us that we can probably split up and cover two jobs at once, if you've got other ideas."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Machiavelli Corleone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2021, 03:50:43 pm »

Carlito

Christ, he hated staring at the night sky now. An expanse of glittering stars on a cape of blackness and it was all bullshit. A façade, like those pitiful drapes people put over their windows so that they can hide their ruin. Everyone accepted it eagerly, stood agape under it, even wrote songs about it. Carlito assumed that even if he could convince someone of the truth, of the sickening reality underneath, they wouldn't do anything about it. Nothing changed, not because people didn't know the truth but that they actively didn't want to confront it. All that petty squabbling and gossiping and TV and video games and booze so that you wouldn't have to look God in the eyes.

Caught in his own indignation, Carlito failed to notice when his environ shifted and he was standing somewhere new. It sounded different, smelled different. Had his call been answered? It was so much less gracious than he imagined, no roar from the clouds or manifestation of a being so pure that staring at it would blind you. The closest was just a person, some sort of person, speaking in a tongue that Carlito could comprehend. Paralyzed, Carlito said nothing as the figure vanished, and it took more seconds to internalize the words that had been spoken to him.

The air was heavier, thick on his skin. It compelled Carlito to rub a hand across his neck, his face. They felt the same, his body had not been altered to a great degree. In fact, his clothes were still on him, even his piece was tucked away in the hemline of his jeans.

With the suddenness of his delivery to this place, wherever The Lord had willed him to go, he now wished that he had more time to prepare, to acclimate. Half-delirious with interdimensional jet lag, he stumbles about, attempting to acclimate to his surroundings with a haggard step, leaning on the rusted walls to support himself.

[Wander the Area]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21