Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you start a succession fort?  (Read 1421 times)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you start a succession fort?
« on: August 13, 2021, 12:54:10 pm »

I’ve always wanted to start a succession fort of my own, but I no idea how to properly start one. Any tips?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: How do you start a succession fort?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 02:51:01 am »

I have two broad pieces of advice:
  • Determine why you want a new succession fort. Knowing your own motivations helps you decide on the details.
  • Skim-read other succession forts to learn of common practises. Typically, the first post contains an overview.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 03:33:43 am »

A good theme or gimmick may help to attract potential players and observers. Be crrative, be unique.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 09:06:52 pm »

Remember that all players have different skill levels when it comes to playing the game and different writing skills so be supportive as much as you can with each player. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 01:22:25 am »

I'll chuck in my two cents, even though the thread's a week old.

• Have a fallback plan if one or more players aren't able to finish their turn (or fail to do so in a timely manner,) to keep the game from grinding to a halt. I literally cannot stress this one enough.
    Lack of progression can kill a game as surely as a web-spitting titan, playing with magma or a booze-famine.
  • A turn is typically about an in-game year long, but might be longer or shorter either out of preference, ruling, or circumstance.
  • Make sure you keep track of updates either on the OP or on a dedicated post. Sometimes succession games can end up with large, meandering threads that can be difficult to sift through to find the main stuff.
  • I'd suggest keeping track of side content too if it develops any. Some people like to read/look at contributions from other users who aren't actively playing.
  • It'd probably help to have a set of rules and proper communication too, to keep people from doing something really stupid that ends up ending the game in an unsatisfying manner. An example off the top of my head is throwing the entire civilian population at something for no logical reason when there's both no reason to do that and it'd actively sabotage the next guy if the fort survives. Unless that kind of open screwing is intended by the game you've set up. Any writer can work with an accident, overconfidence, or a failed spot-check missing a hole in a wall killing a fort, but I doubt there's one who can work with an entire population just deciding one day to commit suicide-by-goblin practically unprovoked.