Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ArenaCraft Rules/OOC (Coming Soon)  (Read 1063 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
ArenaCraft Rules/OOC (Coming Soon)
« on: August 15, 2021, 03:13:09 am »

Stage
Adragis Coliseum
LIVE: OrbitalNinja VS Denominator! Round 5!

Start | Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4

CHALLENGERS
• ?
• ?
• ?

AUDIENCE POINTS (AP)
500 Adragis029
200 heydude6
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stage
Antarctica

Start

Quixotic - Palms

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 04:31:05 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Panic Arena Rules/OOC - Panic Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 03:14:42 am »

PANIC CARDS:

BASIC
Red:
Attack. Warm like sunshine!
Blue:
Defend. Sounds like waves!
Yellow:
Create. Tastes like banana!
Green:
Deceit. Smells like mint!

JUDGE
Double:
Reward. Play as any 2 basic cards. Looks like rainbows!
Penalty:
Punish. Cancels out a double card. Feels like glue!
(Laws):
Govern. Lists actions that the Judge will temporarily reward and punish.

ASSET
(Challenger):
Avatar. You. Any modifications to yourself are tracked on this card. Tear it up to surrender.
(Henchman):
Minion. When you summon an ally, a henchman card is added to your hand. When enhanced, the level goes up. This is how many yellow cards it would cost to duplicate.
(Squad):
Troupe. When you duplicate a henchman, your original henchman card becomes a squad card. Further modifications apply to the whole squad.
(Token):
Things. Miscellaneous creation that doesn't fit the other types, and is not associated with any of them in play.

CHAMPION
Void:
Redraw.Each player discards their hand and draws a new one.
Depicts nothing. A pitch black card that feels empty somehow.
2014BladeManEXE10
Error:
Rewind.Glitch to reset everything to last turn, with a twist. All hands are shuffled.
Depicts a cascade of flickering ones and zeroes. Tingly and numbing at the same time!
2014BladeManEXE10EdwardDarkstar
Firebird:
Revive.The card is powerless in victory and grandest in defeat. This card's concept is Self-Bolstering, and is inversely powerful in proportion to the health of the user. A fresh user will receive minor benefits at most, a player on the verge of death may find themselves briefly burning with the divine flames of godhood.
It feels scorching hot to the touch, and smells like ashes.
2015FallacyofUristBlitzDungeoneer
Curse:
Misery.Causes an effect that sticks to an enemy player and applies its negative effect over time. Used with Basic Cards to determine the exact effects.
Depicts a voodoo doll. Vibrates like a tuning fork!
2017FallacyofUrist
Hellvoid:
Flames.Summons a hole to Hell which spews forth flames to the other tiles. Flames do not harm the user's team and hides them from view.
Depicts a pitchfork. Emits masochistic laughter!
2021TricMagic

GAME RULES
• Object of the Game
• Game Play
• Actions
• Stamina
• Audience Participation
• End of the Game
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:57:50 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
rose's current notepad (and maybe sign ups)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:21 am »

ArenaCraft Game System
Designed by RoseHeart

Object of the Game

Welcome CHALLENGER! Players will compete in the insane combat gameshow, the infamous PANIC ARENA. Only one team will leave. The object is to use your cunning and creativity to out adapt and outwit your friends and rivals, their forces, and the AUDIENCE. Use the power of the PANIC CARDS to conquer the arena and claim your legacy as CHAMPIONS!

#####################################################
Game Play

Play is divided into 2 phases: DECISION PHASE, where each player tells the JUDGE their actions in private, and the REVEAL PHASE, where players reveal these actions to each other. Teammates may discuss strategy out of game, such as via PM.

Each turn, all players must:
• Send ACTIONS or Send "SKIP"
• DRAW 1 PANIC CARD from the DECK

When the JUDGE reveals the turn outcomes of everyone's plays, the turn is over and everyone receives another PANIC CARD.

Drawing Cards

Before taking actions, players will draw 1 card from the deck to add to their hand. If the deck runs out,  IT  will come...

There is one deck all players will draw from. If 'P' is the total number of players, then the deck is composed of 9 ื P basic cards. Every 5 turns 1 legendary card is added to the deck, plus P - 1 star cards.

Hand Limit

Players have a hand limit of 3 cards. If a player was to draw with the hand limit reached, then they must discard down to 3 by the end of their turn, or the least valuable and oldest card will be discarded. The value, from low to high is: basic, star, legendary, permanent. Penalty cards are ignored.

Body

Stamina

You begin with 2000 stamina! You will dodge most attacks, which will deplete your stamina and make you vulnerable for an injury or fatal blow, and forces you to rest for a turn. Being injured gives you an adrenaline rush that restores stamina. Being forced to rest will not prevent card plays and giving orders to others. But stamina will not be replenished until you do nothing for a full turn(or take a hit).

INJURIES

Injuries may also inhibit you in some way. Maximum stamina will decrease.

FATIGUE/REST

Each time you get an adrenaline rush, you will get a fatigue counter. You lose 200 stamina each turn for each counter. Rest (do nothing for a turn) to remove a fatigue counter and recuperate stamina. You will be forced to rest if you run out of stamina because of fatigue.

Completely Exhausted: In this state you have no stamina left for stronger attacks or farther movement. You can still move 1 space, and perform a light melee attack however if you do either you will not satisfy the conditions for "Rest". Cards however, can still be played without stopping you from resting.

Actions

Basic Actions

MOVEMENT/ENGAGEMENT

Your typical humanoid movement will allow you to move 1 space. If you are attacked by an adjacent enemy, you will fail to move.

RUNNING

You can spend 1000 stamina to move an extra space. You may pay this more than once for more spaces. If you run and have less than 1000 stamina left, you will be forced to rest. If you end a run on someone's space, you tackle them. If you end a straight run of 3 spaces on someone's space, you push them.

/q/1. Auto-Melee Movement

Rulebook:

"RANGED-ATTACKS

You must aim where a target 'will-be' to hit."

Clarification: If you do a melee attack, you only need to choose a target. Ranged attacks on the other hand you must aim where.

2. Running Types:

Walk: (normal) 1 space.
Jog: 2 spaces.
Sprint: 3 spaces.

You can say you will Jog over to someone to do a melee attack, and if they are only a space away then you will walk instead. If they are more than a couple spaces, you will not sprint to meet them. You can do the same by saying you will Sprint, but take a less exhausting pace if not needed.

Rest: If you do not move, attack or dodge any attacks, you restore all stamina.//q/

MELEE-ATTACKS

Light Attacks cost the target 500 stamina to dodge. You can spend 500 stamina for a Medium Attack that costs 1000 stamina to dodge, or you can spend 1000 stamina for a Heavy Attack that costs 2000 stamina to dodge. If you couldn't afford double this cost, then you will be forced to rest.

RANGED-ATTACKS

You must aim where a target 'will-be' to hit.

Card Actions

Card Types

(For information about the various basic, judgement, and legendary cards, see the previous post.)

Card Logic

Card usage is flexible, so long as a card is not being used to do something that is clearly more the domain of another card type.

You can play as many at once as desired.

SUMMONING
You can create more permanent constructs to aid you in battle. Their ownership will be represented by a card in your hand. You may tear up their card to unsummon them at any time. If summons and penalty cards would prevent you from drawing a card, you wont be able to summon. Thus the maximum is 2 summons. This can be weapons, armor, minions, obstacles, and more.

ASSET
(Challenger):
Avatar. You. Any modifications to yourself are tracked on this card. Tear it up to surrender.
(Henchman):
Minion. When you summon an ally, a henchman card is added to your hand. When enhanced, the level goes up. This is how many yellow cards it would cost to duplicate.
(Squad):
Troupe. When you duplicate a henchman, your original henchman card becomes a squad card. Further modifications apply to the whole squad.
(Token):
Things. Miscellaneous creation that doesn't fit the other types, and is not associated with any of them in play.

The Stack

Resolution Order:

1st Beat: Opening

1. Self.
2. Summoned Equipped Permanent Completes.
3. Melee. Prioritize light, medium, then heavy.
4. Adjacent Spell.
5. Movement.
6. Ranged-Attacks/Non-Adjacent Spells. Prioritize shortest distance.

2nd Beat: Follow-Up

7. Self.
8. Summoned Equipped Permanent Completes.
9. Melee. Prioritize light, medium, then heavy.
10. Adjacent Spell.
11. Ranged-Attacks/Non-Adjacent Spells. Prioritize shortest distance.

3rd Beat: Wrap-Up

12. Summoned Unit/Tile Completes. A unit wont be able to act.
13. All passive effects. Prioritize self, then shortest distance.
14. Bomb detonation.
15. Eggs from last turn hatch.
16. Audience pieces arrive.
17. Extra cards destroyed.
18. Rewards delivered.
19. New cards dealt.
20. Arena transformations.

Tiebreakers:
1. The unit that performed less actions first.
2. Fewer cards spent on the action.
3. Coin Toss/At Random

Playing as an Audience Member

LAWS/AUDIENCE INFLUENCE

The audience will have the chance to vote for arbitrary laws that will take effect on a later turn. These may reward(star card) or punish(penalty card) certain forms of play.

There will be 1 law in effect on the 4th turn, and 2 laws in effect on a turn after that and going forward, with a law staying in play for 2 turns.

An audience member who votes for a Law will earn Panic Points they can spend to influence the battle.

There is no limit to the number of additional participants. Spectators can actually influence the battlefield too!

Start by cheering for a team. The judge will then record that you have obtained an egg associated with that team...

Eggs

Depending on which team(s) you cheer for will determine its' behavior when it hatches.
• Soldier(Only 1 Team): Target nearest enemy. Gain points = egg cheers if the team wins. Then leaves.
• Mercenary(Multiple/All Teams): Target nearest enemy. Enemy is team with least cheers. Gain 1 point each turn, up to egg cheers. Then leaves.
• Assassin(All But 1 Team): Target enemy leader. Gain points = egg cheers if the leader dies. Then leaves.
• Paladin(All Teams Evenly): Target audience bombs and give medical aid to unengaged challengers. Gain 1 point each turn, up to egg cheers. Then leaves.

You can choose an open spot to place it. But not the same phase in which you received it. I can only accept egg placements by PM. Dolls for your egg are available in the PANIC SHOP.

If you cheer for different teams within the same turn (regardless of phase) the old cheer will be overwritten by the new one.

The Judge hands out eggs at the turn's end.

In addition to receiving and teaching eggs, cheering will also earn you PANIC POINTS...

Panic Points
The PANIC POINTS you've been collecting by cheering can now be spent on Dolls for your Egg, Bombs to the throw in the arena, and...more! Cheering only counts once per turn, but you may do so in either phase. If there are already 3 pieces in the arena from Audience Members, any more that are deployed, will be returned to you. 1 piece per person. You can unsummon (destroy) your own piece.

High Council
The judge can appoint passionate audience members onto the High Council which vote in private on the laws for future turns. Participation here is another source of PANIC POINTS.

Additional laws can now be purchased in the PANIC STORE and can be used to replace an "empty" law. Any of which rotating in later than the next turn.

End of the Game

Defeat
A Player is defeated if any of the following conditions occur:

•A Player is killed.
•A Player surrenders.
•A Player holds 4 Penalty Cards.
•The Judge declares a Player unwilling or unable to continue within a timely manner.

Victory
Last team standing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:32:07 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: rose's current notepad (and maybe sign ups)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:39:05 am »

Don’t you have a dozen threads for game planning already?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 12:50:18 pm »

There is the Game Design Discussion and Review thread, which is specifically for seeking review. However the thread we are now in is being conceived as just an early game thread. Though thoughts are welcome, and depending on discussion, maybe I will change how I use it. A dozen you say? No. Not unless I truly did forget, which is possible. This thread is fulfilling a purpose that has not been done anywhere else, because it is literally the scaffolding to a game I haven't hosted yet.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 01:10:46 pm »

Something that would be helpful, would be what you found confusing or unclear while watching or playing ArenaCraft.
Awesome With Autism

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 01:39:21 pm »

It's been awhile. Nice to see Hellvoid around though. (sadistic laughter)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 05:30:05 pm »

There is the Game Design Discussion and Review thread, which is specifically for seeking review. However the thread we are now in is being conceived as just an early game thread. Though thoughts are welcome, and depending on discussion, maybe I will change how I use it. A dozen you say? No. Not unless I truly did forget, which is possible. This thread is fulfilling a purpose that has not been done anywhere else, because it is literally the scaffolding to a game I haven't hosted yet.

It literally has Game Design Discussion in the title of that thread. I think it's bad form to start making threads meant just to mull over specific individual ideas.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 07:17:47 pm »

I'm not sure that I fully grasp the concept that's being put forth, even as I read through the previous incarnation of ArenaCraft. This might just be thanks to having many distractions at the moment. Regardless, I find myself often intrigued by your attempts at games that are beyond the purview of those commonly run here. So at the very least consider this a post to watch, or interest if it ever comes to that.
I've lost control of my life.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 08:32:29 pm »

It literally has Game Design Discussion in the title of that thread. I think it's bad form to start making threads meant just to mull over specific individual ideas.

You're not wrong Paper, I could have taken 3 posts in that thread and worked on it there, but I felt that would be bad form (and using less would be cluttered and cumbersome). My normal workflow is to just create a game in a new thread form, but I've just been perturbed by it occasionally not saving it.

I'm not sure that I fully grasp the concept that's being put forth, even as I read through the previous incarnation of ArenaCraft. This might just be thanks to having many distractions at the moment. Regardless, I find myself often intrigued by your attempts at games that are beyond the purview of those commonly run here. So at the very least consider this a post to watch, or interest if it ever comes to that.

Thanks, and hi!
Awesome With Autism