Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Signal Intelligence (player needed for a new game)  (Read 4534 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Signal Intelligence (waitlist open)
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2021, 06:54:43 pm »

The planet Mars is a fascinating subject, don't you think? Named after the Roman god of war, its red coloration and distinctive appearance has long made it a foreboding and noteworthy place. Suspicions that life might be free to thrive here go back a long ways, fueled by everything from outright hoaxes to detailed scientific calculations. Nonetheless, observable organisms remain elusive for the moment, despite a host of missions to locate or disprove such a thing. A far more grim, but arguably more likely, possibility lies in the idea that simple life existed once but has since gone extinct, likely due to solar winds liberating all of the planet's water and most of its atmosphere in the distant past.

One thing these missions will probably not find is termites. This is tragic for a number of reasons, but the main one is that red-earth alien termite mounds would be rad as hell. Termite mounds can grow absolutely massive relative to their builders, far outstripping the largest skyscrapers in comparative scale. A cluster of termite mounds could therefore be compared to Times Square, with all that entails. Despite this impressive feat, most models suggest the actual mound part has no function save for generating air flow, with the actual city-like nest parts all located well underneath it. Waste of prime real estate, if you ask me.

Another fun-but-unlikely discovery would be ravening monsters. Horrible things are a common discovery in Mars-related fiction, often starting with tantalizing clues and ending with terrified screaming. A fun example of this would be the movie Doom: Annihilation, which is about as high quality but enjoyable as you'd expect. A team of marines is sent to figure out what happened to a research facility located not on Mars proper, but on its moon Phobos- which they call "The Doomed Moon." Now is that metal or what? Anyway demons eat all of their faces, except whoever makes it through the hellportal which will eventually enable demons to invade Earth. Call it a draw, then?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2021, 12:49:53 am »

2,1,3 is what im guessing not gonna bold it this time cause I want to make sure @Naturegirl1999 is fine with it so if ya are then just bold what I put if not give me a reason and we can discuss it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2021, 05:08:34 pm »

If I may ask, what are your guesses as to the numbers so far?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2021, 08:00:38 pm »

Posted my guesses earlier near the start of page 4

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2021, 09:52:08 pm »

Posted my guesses earlier near the start of page 4
thanks

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2021, 09:24:46 am »

That is not correct. Let's see if Maximum Spin can do it.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2021, 12:17:54 pm »

Man, this is difficult. If I picked up the right hints, and didn't just make some up in my own mind, I think the answer is 1, 3, 4. If this is not wrong, I hope you will be less subtle next time!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2021, 12:49:33 pm »

Sadly, that is also not correct. This is the second decoding mistake, which means Team Blue wins!

Would you like to share guesses as to what the words were, or for me to just post them?

Also, would you like to lay again?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2021, 12:53:47 pm »

Oh sweet we won! Good game everybody!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2021, 01:19:59 pm »

Ah, that was my bad. I got paranoid about hints and didn't adequately red herring for contrast. The intended clue was a single instance of alliteration each paragraph- "observable organisms" (bird, though in retrospect that could have been analysis), "most models" (analysis), and "eventually enable" (permission).

Should have included a "double down" instruction somewhere at the very least, but I was paranoid about spelling out the clue. The key swap might also have been sufficient to do it normally.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2021, 03:05:51 pm »

Ah, that was my bad. I got paranoid about hints and didn't adequately red herring for contrast. The intended clue was a single instance of alliteration each paragraph- "observable organisms" (bird, though in retrospect that could have been analysis), "most models" (analysis), and "eventually enable" (permission).

Should have included a "double down" instruction somewhere at the very least, but I was paranoid about spelling out the clue. The key swap might also have been sufficient to do it normally.
Oh my god that was way too subtle! I don't even notice alliteration normally.
I picked up on the red herring references to Fluffe's incorrect interpretations, but I thought the intended clues were: "detailed scientific calculations", "Times Square and all that implies", and "ravening" (bird).

BTW. I know you didn't get it at the time, and I'm sorry, but did you, after seeing a1s the intended sequence, get the "anal Isis" pun? I was so proud of it. :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2021, 03:20:09 pm »

Well, our guesses of your words wore way off, well Fluffle’s guesses to be more accurate. What did you guys think our words were? Also yes let’s go again once our guesses to words and your posting of said words for this game is done

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2021, 03:27:53 pm »

Well, our guesses of your words wore way off, well Fluffle’s guesses to be more accurate. What did you guys think our words were? Also yes let’s go again once our guesses to words and your posting of said words for this game is done
Not that far off except for the moon one. Think and analysis are at least SIMILAR, as are freedom and permission.

I'm more of an abstract thinker so I can't say that I ever considered what your actual words were instead of just what network of ideas went with them, but I guess I'd say
1) profession, maybe vocation? Something like that.
2) Something to do with laughter or joy. This one only came up once so I don't have much data.
3) I'm almost certain this word was camera, given that, in your last round, it attached in the sequence to "device" (that is, coming before 'in an area' instead of after it) and not "film".
4) region maybe?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2021, 03:34:11 pm »

Not that far off except for the moon one. Think and analysis are at least SIMILAR, as are freedom and permission.

I'm more of an abstract thinker so I can't say that I ever considered what your actual words were instead of just what network of ideas went with them, but I guess I'd say
2) Something to do with laughter or joy. This one only came up once so I don't have much data.
3) I'm almost certain this word was camera, given that, in your last round, it attached in the sequence to "device" (that is, coming before 'in an area' instead of after it) and not "film".
4) region maybe?
1. profession
2. lab
3. camera
4. scene
2 exact matches, any region can be a scene so partial?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:39:12 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2021, 03:35:22 pm »

4) region maybe?
1. profession
2. lab
3. camera
4. scene
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6