Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to keep animals out of the library  (Read 1313 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to keep animals out of the library
« on: August 21, 2021, 06:03:21 am »

I now have a library. And it's full of wandering animals.

how do I keep them out of there ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep animals out of the library
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:41:32 am »

The library is a meeting area, and tame critters try to get to those. You can combat that by using pen/pasture areas and assign the animals to those. That is essential for grazers, as those will starve to death inside (too stupid to seek out "grass" by themselves when lured by meeting areas). In addition to pastures putting a bit of a check on the animals themselves, animals straying from their designated pastures generate jobs to haul them back.

If the issue is with wild animals I'd suggest setting up cage traps at the entrances. There are a few that seek out fortresses to steal stuff, although I wouldn't have expected them to seek out meeting areas.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 09:50:44 am »

In addition to the aforementioned, if the animals in question are supposed to guard the area, you can make chains to physically force them to their posts. This will also scare off some wild animals.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 11:31:29 am »

You could also try marking the doors as tightly closed, so tame animals won’t be able to open the door.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 12:24:13 pm »

You could also try marking the doors as tightly closed, so tame animals won’t be able to open the door.

Yes, but it is worth noting that animals can still get in through the doors when a dwarf passes through. This isn't a problem usually for low traffic areas but for a meeting area there can be a lot of dwarf traffic opening the doors.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 02:25:38 pm »

1. Make a meeting area that isn't a library, tavern, temple, or otherwise used for something.
2. Pasture animals in places you want them. (use i-n-N to pasture).
3. Cage traps for animals you can't control. Or just have your military slaughter them and have the butchers haul them away to be used for food, leather and bones.
4. Chain animals with ropes to places you want them to be.

I keep a row of chained animals (usually exotic ones like monkeys and parrots and anteaters and things) down the middle of my bookcases, so that they can guard the books from thieves, so I'm pro-animals-in-library personally.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 08:16:57 am »

Yes, but it is worth noting that animals can still get in through the doors when a dwarf passes through. This isn't a problem usually for low traffic areas but for a meeting area there can be a lot of dwarf traffic opening the doors.

It will also destroy your FPS: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=797
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 09:11:36 am »

Well, if there was no reason for an animal to go in there, then a tightly closed door might prevent them from going in. But, if there are lots of wandering animals, one will eventually sneak in, and then kill your FPS trying to get out. The better solution to wandering animals in general is to pasture them. Although, beware you shouldn’t pasture war animals assigned to squads, because if you send the squad on a mission, they won’t ever walk to the edge of the map, leaving the mission not really started.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 10:31:04 am »

Well, if there was no reason for an animal to go in there, then a tightly closed door might prevent them from going in.

Isn't the meeting zone a reason? (Or trying to follow an owner who is in a meeting zone.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 02:55:47 pm »

Yep, the meeting zone is enough of a reason, which is why putting meeting zones in easier locations will help encourage pets to meet elsewhere. If they're not pastured, caged, or chained, they will eventually tour all meeting zones, even if the dorfs are all busy somewhere else.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 03:08:10 pm »

Yes... the critters also enjoy wandering through my fort's temples, the tavern, the well, the guildhalls...