Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 5  (Read 14229 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Conquest of Elysium 5
« on: August 21, 2021, 06:46:23 am »

So looks like it has been a few days and people have been using the previous version of the thread to discuss the current game so here goes since I own the game and all.

Conquest of Elysium 5 is kinda the latest in the series of strategy games by Illwinter. No not dominions, their other game. The big series focus is to make each of the classes play pretty differently. There isn't the same level of customization that you have in the dominions series.

So far it seems as fun as the last iterations of the game, but I'm having trouble making the cloud lord work. Gem costs seem kinda high and he has units that go for 75 gold for 5.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:54:14 am by chaoticag »

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 5
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 11:24:30 am »

I have never heard of this series of games before, and because I haven’t had any time to watch let’s plays of it on YouTube, I’ve not been able to figure out what the game is about.

What other games is this similar to? It sounds to me that it might be like caves of qud and kenshi, would that be accurate?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 12:05:53 pm »

Hi,

What other games is this similar to? It sounds to me that it might be like caves of qud and kenshi, would that be accurate?

I’d say not at all.

It’s closer to HOMM is many ways : you have heroes roaming a map, capturing ressources or other important tiles, and your heroes have armies with different kind of monsters (1500+ types) with them. It’s a bit roguelike too, with random map and event and deadly RNG, with ways to control it but still, RNG is part of the fun.

Big differences from HOMM :
- When you meet an enemy, there is a automated turn based resolution, you cannot do anything but watch.
- No city to build, no buildings per say

Instead heros have rituals to perform on main map, to summon creatures or effects that can influence one tile, one creature, or the full map, or other events, etc.

With 24 classes with different ways to play, many spells, rituals, events, creatures, the game is very re-playable too.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »

So far feels like every one of my games has been ended not by the other players but by an extra planar invasion.

Also gotta say, I downloaded a workshop mod that adds some immobile garrisons to everyone's start, and that really cut down on the problem of AI players offing themselves in 3 turns.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 03:56:37 pm »

Anything new about the Voice of El?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 06:06:40 pm »

I'm having trouble making the cloud lord work.
Same here. Kobolds do a better job of lording over clouds than those guys.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 01:37:45 am »

Anything new about the Voice of El?
Yeah, sorta, I think.

For one thing there is the celestial realm so if you crack open all seven seals you have a gateway to head there that shows up or so I hear. I didn't check if it's quite the equivalent of the demonologist where every angel that shows up has to be from there.

There's also a higher magic item count going around, so it's often the case that summoned angels and saints pull up some magic items to throw into the fray and get passed around. Kinda makes me wish you could get a description on magic items now that they show up this often.

Same here. Kobolds do a better job of lording over clouds than those guys.
Getting the sinking feeling like these guys are going to be very rng dependent. There's really no substitute for having a good supply of diamonds for them. If you aren't able to get at least a little bit of all three other gem types you can't convert them to diamonds, and they compete with your units. And then you have the cloud people units that cost 75 for 5?

They have some benefits like all their units basically being flying units, but trying a lesser summoning could get you a set of six air small elementals (great!), a large one (fine I guess?) or 12 swans (why).

And since they need gems, they'll probably be grabbing mines, which gives them iron and then that ends up impossible to use for any of their units that I have seen so far. But their best units have ice armor so they also want to be in the north where gems don't spawn. Just kinda a lot of things going that makes them harder to snowball like other factions unless I am missing something they can do that others can't.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 11:23:20 am »

Their two 25g flying melee units need a bit of iron, and they also can build human infantry/catapults/etc like anyone else once they start grabbing land cities. Also, they can just sell it - like you said, they're VERY gold-hungry.

My impression was that what they need to succeed is to get giants summoned ASAP. Getting a storm or frost giant and promoting them to titan is a game-changer - the frost in particular will suddenly turn your mountain of mostly-unused sapphires into a large frost giant horde. I've had the Foo Titans' giant summons give as many as 12 giants for the 100 gem cost.

They feel like a slow start that snowballs once you get something big enough to push a large snowball...

[Also: IDK about gems not spawning in the north. I started at the north of the map over mountain ranges containing numerous gem mines, as well as the gold mine...]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:25:36 am by E. Albright »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 05:08:26 pm »

More magic items is nice, they've always been kind of weird in COE, super rare and no real reliable way to get or produce them.

Voice of El is cool but I never thought it was very fun, lots of flavor but you can't actually do anything with it directly.

I'm playing scourge lord, just started but I like the flavor?  I'm not sure where it's going, it seems like there's two separate ideas going on and it's not sure which archetype it should be.

Like, you build obelisks that drain life from the world BUT they're also covered in fnords, lies, and contradictory arguments that break people's brains
Your troops are camel riders and desert swordsmen BUT they're also miscreants and "inclined to believe in saurid emperors or hidden covens of wizards that they blame for any mishap in their lives"

And most of their flavor is like that.  It feels like they wanted to make an evil scorpion king type desert necromancer, but also wanted to make a fantasy qanon as a joke, but didn't have enough ideas for the qanon side so it's just grafted onto the scourge lord.
Shoes...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 03:36:31 am »

[Also: IDK about gems not spawning in the north. I started at the north of the map over mountain ranges containing numerous gem mines, as well as the gold mine...]
I don't mean the gems you get from mines, I mean the freestanding gem piles in the desert. It's a more common spawn than mines are I find.

Like, you build obelisks that drain life from the world BUT they're also covered in fnords, lies, and contradictory arguments that break people's brains
Your troops are camel riders and desert swordsmen BUT they're also miscreants and "inclined to believe in saurid emperors or hidden covens of wizards that they blame for any mishap in their lives"

And most of their flavor is like that.  It feels like they wanted to make an evil scorpion king type desert necromancer, but also wanted to make a fantasy qanon as a joke, but didn't have enough ideas for the qanon side so it's just grafted onto the scourge lord.
The flavor writing for the scourge lords kinda rubs me the wrong way because it feels like a train crash between the flavor of the in game xenophobe writing all these entries and the attempts at humor just kinda hitting an uncomfortable spot for the flavor text. But I'm excited to contend with the bad japanese of the bakemono and the bad arabic of a new faction.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 09:09:46 am »

Right, I forgot the gem deposits. I've seen more mines than those, to be honest, but those definitely are a thing.

I'm annoyed that the 5.02 patch fixed portals such that Inferno can now smell sinners from several planes over, and will start pathing to Elysium even if they need to cross multiple planes to get there. Around turn 120 of my second CoE5 game, Inferno's turn resolution time jumped from taking 10-30s to taking ~25m. I managed two turns at that length (and only b/c I have dual monitors so I could faff around on the other one while it resolved), and while it dropped from 26m to 24m on the 2nd one, I don't think I can stomach keeping playing, especially knowing what's on its way en masse. I'd probably be able to survive what's coming since I'm busy carving out a Barbaric safe haven in Hades, but if the converging blob is as big as I think it's gonna be, I kinda wonder if it mightn't be strong enough to kill the AI Bystander...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 12:30:59 am »

So far feels like every one of my games has been ended not by the other players but by an extra planar invasion.

I've always wanted a "save the planet" CoE game. It looks hardly any different to CoE 3 and 4, but heck, I'll get it for this.

Edit: Hmm, they've rolled out 3 patches in a week. Maybe I'll wait a bit.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:34:39 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 01:43:19 am »

If it's any consolation, despite the patches, the game seemed pretty stable even on release. Most of the fixes seem to be related to the networking stuff right now so if you are playing this as a single player game you likely won't notice much unless a typo was bugging you.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 10:21:08 am »

It's mostly stable. The biggest problem I've seen so far was that the 2nd patch fixed some portals and let the devils in Inferno figure out that there was a path to Elysium if a portal opened from Inferno to Aztlan (to somewhere) to Elysium, so you'd suddenly get 20-30m turns while ALL the devils worked out the pathing through multiple planes. That's thankfully been fixed.

Incidentally, if anyone is playing and gets a magic item that grants flying, can they save the game and either post it or try flying up and ending the turn in open sky? I think there may be a bug WRT magic items granting flying not letting you safely end over open sky w/o dying, but it's hard to reproduce b/c of how random magic items are. [Remembered that modding commands are a thing...]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:47:12 am by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 10:57:47 am »

I'm digging the Scourge Lord. The disjointed edgelordy fluff rubs me the wrong way, but upgrading uber-blesses and terraforming the world is a lot of fun.

And yeah, anyone knows what's up with those invasions? I've been playing on enormous/monarchy maps, and so far it's almost a given that some cultist will open a portal to inferno. Likely sometime before mid game, rolling over everyone. I wonder if that's tied to the specific era (i.e. monarchy is to blame), or there's a chance per square for a portal to spawn (i.e. to large a map size leads to end times for all). The ridiculous size of the invasions is probably mostly a function of map size, since the hell will be larger with more denizens.

The one time the damn portal spawned nearby and I managed to scramble to destroy it, but a few turns later another happy cultist popped up on the other side of the world (the demons still beelined straight to my cities). Sad face. Angry face. Resigned face.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6