Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 5  (Read 14217 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 5
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 11:38:11 am »

I was doing pretty well with a Cloud Lord game and had stopped two invasions... but then I took a break to try Scourge Lord and accidentally overwrote the CL game. Then I had a nice long Barbarian game where I was invading Hades rather than vice-versa... but the 5.02 Inferno pathing thing happened and that game became unplayable (and even after the 5.03 patch, the damage was done and Inferno was committed to its circuitous invasion), which is a shame b/c I had just gotten a Primal Plane invasion and was curious how that was going to play out. [I should add that I was also fending off an ant "invasion" when it got unplayable.]

Invasions were common in CoE4, but this still feels more common...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 12:03:43 pm »

The one time the damn portal spawned nearby and I managed to scramble to destroy it, but a few turns later another happy cultist popped up on the other side of the world (the demons still beelined straight to my cities). Sad face. Angry face. Resigned face.

Heh, almost the exact same thing caused me to make that complaint. I was able to kill a lot of the demonic armies, but there was one particular stack with like 20 hellhounds just going around and wrecking everything. I've generally liked the randomness in commander recruitment and summons that forces you to roll with the punches compared to Dominions, but sometimes I really wish there was a better way to cook up some hard counters.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 08:32:14 pm »

Ugh, there's still something wrong with long pathing. Between summer 15 & summer 16 I've had three turns that've taken 30m+ to resolve. This is not good, even if it's not consistent - it has yet to be two long turns in a row.

[Last one before I abandoned the save was still grinding away after 70m when I killed the process. Ugh.]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:52:03 am by E. Albright »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 05:04:08 am »

After failing 3 summonings while the stars were right decided to start playing a necromancer and... this is nice? Just being able to spend hands and get something. But if I have an issue eventually it feels by the time you lich, there is not much of a point in raising dead anymore with your income.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 09:01:11 am »

Q: there's a tooltip suggesting it possible to turn on automatic recruitment by clicking somewhere in the recruitment screen, but I can't figure out where. Anyone knows how to do it?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 09:28:25 am »

Per the help screen for recruitment (i.e., "?"), it's ctrl+click, with "c" to clear auto-recruit for a location or "v" to clear all auto-recruit.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 02:23:49 pm »

This game has the best necromancer I have seen in a game. It's by far my favorite class in COE5.

2nd probably warlock, but only air warlock cause others are too hard to get gems. Also air elementals are best. Flying is best

3rd is probably druid.

Least favorite is probably dryad queen.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:00:15 am by The_Explorer »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 07:42:33 pm »

My first mod I put actual work and effort into...this is what I always wanted in an ant simulator...with added bonus of fantasy stuff :P

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2585026116

Hope you all enjoy :) It'll be a ton of fun to play :D

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 09:48:32 am »

Oh, I almost added some comments on Steam last night. Since you're here I'll go ahead.

If the goal was to get them underground, but you didn't want to make (wild, vanilla AI-style :P) anthill citadel spam possible, you could start with a unique irreplaceable queen (empress?) commander who has a makecolony command for an Argarthan colonyterr so she can found one new proper underground colony before settling down to just be a housequeen - or even just given her and her alone the citadel-founding ritual so the spread is limited to how far she go. If you didn't want an irreplaceable empress, you could also add a promotion ritual with nomonmasteryreq restrictions so she can only be replaced, never duplicated...

(It also occurs to me that them not starting underground will make them more resilient - if pale ones accidentally flood their tunnels, they can keep playing... but ants wouldn't have that luxury...)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 09:59:20 am »

Oh, I almost added some comments on Steam last night. Since you're here I'll go ahead.

If the goal was to get them underground, but you didn't want to make (wild, vanilla AI-style :P) anthill citadel spam possible, you could start with a unique irreplaceable queen (empress?) commander who has a makecolony command for an Argarthan colonyterr so she can found one new proper underground colony before settling down to just be a housequeen - or even just given her and her alone the citadel-founding ritual so the spread is limited to how far she go. If you didn't want an irreplaceable empress, you could also add a promotion ritual with nomonmasteryreq restrictions so she can only be replaced, never duplicated...

(It also occurs to me that them not starting underground will make them more resilient - if pale ones accidentally flood their tunnels, they can keep playing... but ants wouldn't have that luxury...)

Actually, you can't mod the starting positions at all and the startplane command doesn't work. The next update will add that in when they fix startplane mod command, but no idea when that will happen. The mod would actually work better if the ants were underground.

With that said, there is the princess who can makecolony randomly. I thought of giving it to the queen herself, but a queen would already have a colony and a princess would be a new colony. I tried it and its pretty random, happened twice but then never again so I'm not sure if something happened and it broke or what. I assume it still works. I have no idea how to mod the makecolony command to only work in one place, but I'm actually ok with it as it is since princesses "retire" after making one colony. And do want stuff happening on the surface too. Also. Funny enough, anthills outside of the starting one produce ants ;)

The AI also doesn't actually tunnel (even with the command they won't use it), so the whole theme of the mod that relies on being underground is a bit messed up sadly until the startplane command works :( When the AI DOES go underground, it functions as it should. But they won't tunnel on their own (they do dig once underground though).

As for wild surface issues. Well until they start in Argatha, that is actually a problem sadly.

I do like the idea of a single queen with only a princess being able to take her position though, I'll keep that in mind for the update following them starting in argatha. If that even ever becomes a thing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:07:03 am by The_Explorer »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 10:49:56 am »

updated ant mod, here is the change log

Most ants are now more willing to go into melee (ants are almost always in wrestling matches)
Fixed queens and princesses spawning queens in combat
Commander can attack now, but has no melee ability
Gave Princess level two powers so she can spawn new queens
Be sure to heavily protect queens and princesses

(edit:

Small update

Removed the change to Princesses making queens - Wasn't very realistic really and took away from the actual queen ants
Princesses now are fully controlled by the AI with the "stupid" trait. Princesses would be less controlled by the queen as they are more independent
Princesses main use is them randomly making ant hills which can produce ants (at random)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:29:26 am by The_Explorer »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 03:05:58 pm »

I look at this game, and at previous games, and it looks like they released a patch for CoE 4 and charge $25 for it. CoE 4 is also $25.

Why is this a separate game? Why is it so expensive?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 03:34:56 pm »

I look at this game, and at previous games, and it looks like they released a patch for CoE 4 and charge $25 for it. CoE 4 is also $25.

Why is this a separate game? Why is it so expensive?

They do the same with Dominions. Its how the company rolls. They could do it like paradox and release 1000s of DLCs, but people hate that. Or they can release an "expansion" as a new game, but some people seem to hate that too judging by a few reviews lol.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 04:07:09 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty much a 'give us $25 every five years and we'll keep adding shit to the game' business model.
New content-wise it's much like with each iteration of Dominions - enough to feel like an upgrade, but all in all maybe half of the price worth of stuff and polish, if one includes all the future patches. The rest is an obligatory 'support the developer' tip.
They seem to have built enough of a dedicated fanbase that it somehow works.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 04:52:54 pm »

Actually, in the case of Dominions, its $40 every five years.  But the games do go on sale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6