Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 5  (Read 14225 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 5
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 05:20:48 pm »

Not bad to me compared to nickle and dime DLC method where if you didn't "buy in early" you gotta spend 100s or 1000s of dollars to get a full experience. Or a stupid subscription to get the full experience.
Or the games that re-release every single year that is a reskin depending what historical FPS period you want to play in with a singleplayer campaign that lasts 3 hours if you are lucky that is sold at AAA prices of 60 dollars.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 07:06:42 pm »

Dominions major versions often have something major to the engine changed. I think 3/4 was the overmap moving and hiring, while 5 was the more real time combat. I don't know CoE3, and while I've tried a couple remote play games with my younger brother I'm not yet sure if CoE did something like that? Maybe I've not seen it yet? I know the boats/planes is kinda big, and battles looks like they can get a lot bigger. Overall polish feels nicer, in the opposite of how going back to Dom4/3 shows age to me like going back windows versions toward XP.

Anyway ontopic more I gotta add another +positive how they handle selling the game. In the age of microtransactions and DLC and different content packs, this feels more like how games should be to me, how they used to be. CoE5 and Do5 to me are like cookies just out of the oven. Ready, but too hot and should cool/finish cooking just a little bit first before perfection. ymmv

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 10:11:42 pm »

Decided to try senator and see what the "god-king" element is, I've heard something about it and the description seems to imply that kind of thing.

So I spent some time trying to get gold and build up my forces, and then out of nowhere a hundred+ baron army with multiple mages shows up and even counting casualties I've barely made enough gold to get anything like that.  Am I doing something wrong?   I've only had any success with big bullshit factions like high priestess and savescum demonologist, there are just not enough resources available to keep up with even low-difficulty AI and they snowball insanely hard.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2021, 10:31:08 pm »

Play with more AIs. They lock horns as they expand, which makes it harder for any one to snowball too quickly. Unless you're unlucky in where you spawn, you can generally stay out of the way of impossible blobs long enough to build one up yourself.
That said, the AI baron tends to dominate other factions early on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2021, 08:39:25 am »

Jester-level AI has resource parity with the player, everything higher than that gets bonuses. They build up big stacks, but don't necessarily use them wisely. You can keep your income up with smaller patrols to raid and recapture settlements. It can even be kind of useful that they clear out neutrals for you.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2021, 12:06:02 pm »

There's a 5? I play 4 a lot.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2021, 01:46:22 pm »

How is the AI in 5? Because in 4 the AI just wanted to ram their head against your territory until you killed all the invading parties which happened to be all their commanders and then they die.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2021, 02:30:14 pm »

How is the AI in 5? Because in 4 the AI just wanted to ram their head against your territory until you killed all the invading parties which happened to be all their commanders and then they die.

Never played CoE4. But seems kinda junk. And they have homing trackers to pin point your location. Like inferno can smell fresh air from 1000s of miles away lol. Must smell that bad there :p Still tons of fun though.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2021, 02:33:14 pm »

I haven't noticed any improvement in this regard. They might even be a bit more suicidal.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2021, 04:16:24 pm »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2585026116

Tons of great changes

Plays more like sim ant, where the focus is now far more on the surface (for food). Fungus gardens can't be spammable anymore (at least early on). Commander and queen ants a lot more expensive, can't spam queens early on anymore so the first queen is very important (like it was intended). Workers, soldiers can be spammed (especially workers, but they are super weak and in an ant colony workers are the spammable one anyway, with soldiers coming in 2nd). Guard ants (supermajors really) are slightly cheaper but overall harder to get with the changes.

You also start...IN ARGATHA!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2021, 12:08:38 pm »

I've just had a thought - is it possible to flood Inferno by digging down from flooded Agartha?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2021, 01:00:33 pm »

No, but if you dig down through flooded Argartha, Inferno can't counter-invade - it's a tried and true method to safely invade that plane if you've got the amphibians to do it with.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2021, 01:03:20 pm »

Awww. :(

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2021, 11:17:03 pm »

I just bought it full price. Hesitated when it was 10% off but it's still a good deal better than AAAs.

What difficulty level do you guys usually play? My standard light game is 1 baron, 3 knights.

A single Baron usually takes over half my forces just to pin and a large skirmish team just to harass. They're tiring enough on their own, and I've never won a CoE game with two of them.

Knight level AI is a bit too easy. Usually their main parties are beatable with a scouting or supply party. Most of them just fight endlessly over some control point, or suicide into an AI castle.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2021, 12:25:22 am »

I play these games a lot. Over the years I've settled on marquises (6-7 on enormous). Duke+ still rolls over me without much sweat; count and lower usually doesn't provide enough of a challenge. Marquis I find just about borderline between 'I got this' and 'Oh god Imma gonna die'. I.e. that sweet gambler's spot of a dopamine loop.
Although if I were to play with far fewer AIs, or a 1vs1, and not have the luxury of the opponent being semi-reliably distracted by other fronts, I'd probably need to lower the difficulty at least a notch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6