Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 5  (Read 14247 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 5
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2021, 03:43:56 am »

I can probably play on higher difficulties but I keep forgetting to update the ai level then get too lazy to start over. I'm not taking the game seriously at the moment though and I'm exploring the classes and seeing what they offer before attempting a serious game. I'll likely start out against count level AI when I get there

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 05:41:49 am »

I play these games a lot. Over the years I've settled on marquises (6-7 on enormous). Duke+ still rolls over me without much sweat; count and lower usually doesn't provide enough of a challenge. Marquis I find just about borderline between 'I got this' and 'Oh god Imma gonna die'. I.e. that sweet gambler's spot of a dopamine loop.
Although if I were to play with far fewer AIs, or a 1vs1, and not have the luxury of the opponent being semi-reliably distracted by other fronts, I'd probably need to lower the difficulty at least a notch.

Mate, CoE 2 was my childhood game. I knew almost every unit at the time, but I guess I still suck at it. Baron seems to be mid-tier skill though; I don't think I met anyone else who can even a survive a game past Marquis. Where do I find a good guide?

Also, I feel like the difficulty has been bumped up since CoE 3, which I still play on mobile. I've never lost a game on my usual settings on CoE 3, but wrecked my main armies every time on CoE 5.

First game, lost to something dumb like a high lord taking my citadel.

Second game went well. Dwarf Queen, 7 dvalas, and about to take 5 more mines. Three of the AI kept suiciding trying to take the king's lands and castle, killing each other, I accidentally even wiped out one. The baron level AI was getting pinned by my enhanced dwarves. 40 dorfs could cut through an army of about 80 of their units with few casualties. It was almost too easy, I had lots of 100% fire resistant furnace dwarfs and the fire breathing things couldn't even scratch them. Then they found the dwarf slaying machine: trees. 8 ents, just crushed my main stack inside a guard tower with only medium injuries.

Third game: overstretched myself. I pushed east where the easy mines were. Baron tier AI took over my main city around year 3, while my eastern army was overrun by barbarians.

Fourth game got really close. Dark ages game. Baron level senator to the south, kept them pinned. Found another dwarf to the far east, pushed them all the way to their base and kept a long siege. Dwarf capitals are almost impossible to take because of the defensive balistae. Then the fire nation attacked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, really fun game. Losing is fun because it's well deserved, didn't feel like it was random luck like before. I love the Dwarf Queen changes, especially the mid game. Next time, I'll probably cluster a group of dvala instead of spreading them out.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 05:46:42 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2021, 09:53:13 am »

IIRC from CoE4, the dwarven win strategy was to amass overwhelming firepower. I.e. only have enough dwarves in an army to form a resilient frontal obstacle, and then kill everything with way too many magical ballistae.

And re: planar invasions. I think what one needs to do to properly stop them, is to enter the portal and destroy it from the other side. At least that's my experience with the primal plane.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 08:45:11 pm »

As someone who has recently been playing dwarves in CoE4, yep, ballista's are the shit. Get an elder runesmith to enchant a ballista, and you get an AoE magic attack. Get 10 ballista enchanted with fire and suddenly in every siege you have 60 fireballs go off before the fight even starts. So you take ever every mine, fill it with ballista, and starve the enemy of iron as you send out legions of dwarf workers to take over everything.

My only problem is that ballista get put in the back row so if you have an army that's too big, they just don't get to be used. I hear that that's fixed in CoE5, so I have that to look forward to.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 09:10:03 pm »

Oh nice. I savescummed a losing game, then bought some time from the inevitable pending planar invasion and spent all the iron on ballistae instead of dwarves.

The troops were ambushed by a greater demon army and it was a pretty tough fight, but once the knights were down, the balistae took down the greater demon in two rounds.

Brought in 10 balistae against 14 in a dwarf vs dwarf siege, lost badly. I upgraded 2 to fire, lost, with them having 4 balistae remaining. Upgraded 2 more to rime and it was an easy win. Most rounds they manage to cripple the enemy Dvala before combat starts too.

Even Dvalin's Elite, with that thick armor and pierce resistance gets one shotted by balistae. My werewolf could tank about 3 balista shots in the siege phase before falling.

Coming from CoE 3, looks like the dwarves were massively buffed in 4.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 09:22:25 pm »

So, I went through a phase where I was using this mod, which adds a small immobile garrison (including commander) to the starting citadel of all factions. It worked well to stop the AI getting itself killed in the first few turns. Only, having played around with it more now, those factions still end up getting all their troops and mobile commanders killed in the first few turns, and then they basically never seem to recover, so you just end up with a bunch of AI factions confined to their starting citadel well into the late game. Now I figure, better that they die off early and I don't have to waste time hunting them down.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2021, 06:25:45 pm »

Someone explain to me how blue kobolds are comparable to their other, radder cousins and/or what Illwinter has against water, please.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2021, 08:47:19 pm »

If you're stuck on the north end of the map, you'll feel like they're pretty nice. If you're even just far enough south from there that you get a lot of your territory thawing in summer, they quickly start losing their appeal.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2021, 04:54:42 pm »

Kiting/bait is an army archetype, which is stupidly powerful in CoE, where you can just weave between tiles and grab a town under the nose of a demon king.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2021, 09:18:23 am »

Kinda disapointed with the kobolds, they don't have a cherry ontop - yeah, you got different colors, but it really lacks that kobold energy of really intresting traps or woreship, the dragons you can summon also suicide themselfs to much.

Druid has the "issue" that you run out of high level summons at one point and nothing responds anymore, which is very weird seeing how it have no issue given you 10 ents or 10 beholders, then just stops at a abitary point.

Illusionist has some mild improvements, but still lacks options imo.

Anyone found a organic/natural way to invade the primal plane?

It also seems like anytime you open a gate or portal to elysium (heaven) every single non-defender unit in it will swarm out and overrun the lands.

I would enjoy more "special recuit" places, like the cloud-towers, but mortal - from barbarian villages to goblin enclaves, why not mix it up a little - and give the "true" factions something more special then "just" units. Let me learn and teach a special spell per capita per faction. The promotion mechanic is nice and could also be expanded. Not letting you delete old saved games from the load menu is a crime imo.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2021, 10:32:00 am »

Barbarian senator and kobolds have gotten some new abilities and/or units looks like. And druid summoning for ant hills is in looks like so let's see if this game is going to go all in on antpocalypse.

And the oven of sins has been fixed so hopefully that's going to actually work now

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2021, 11:00:48 am »

Antpocalypse seems to be the domain of the Scourge Lord. If he spots ant hills or wandering queens, best to leave them alone for a bit - they'll plant new anthills faster than your summoned queens do (or so it seems to me), and will switch to producing scourge ants once conquered. Then it's just a matter of collecting the spawns for frontline duty.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2021, 11:28:50 am »

A combination of the fungal fright mod and some of the "pascals dark army" mods resulted in all units in my army ID shifting/changinge extremly, so one army of spearmen would turn into a army of gods (with 5 hp each), but also turned all mirror shard throwers into goats.

Good stuff

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2021, 01:18:46 pm »

I'm actually pretty happy with how kobolds feel. They're actually surprisingly well-equipped to invade other planes, which has been my favorite hobby since COE4. My only regret is that black kobolds aren't Hades-immune and/or there aren't spindly, sickly, withered purple vermin that you can spawn in Hades.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2021, 03:26:36 pm »

I find kobolds lacking in late-game arsenal. The elder dragons are great, but they do their own thing. You're left with the same drakes you've had access to since the start, and somewhat less shitty - but pricey - infantry. The mages are not amazing enough to compensate. Even considering indie mage support, they are having a hard time getting in range when you're relying on hordes of chaff to keep them alive.
Unless I'm missing something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6