Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress text mode/web browser/SSH version?  (Read 1785 times)

Orinks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress text mode/web browser/SSH version?
« on: August 22, 2021, 08:31:44 pm »

Hi all,

Curious if there is a mod/utility that allows me to play DF in text only via a remote session/web browser etc?
I saw several of these types of projects come and go, the latest being DFEverywhere.
Ultimately, I'm asking because I'm a blind screen reader user and have been wanting to play this game for years in some form, even if it means generating a world and doing adventure mode exclusively or reading legends in legend viewer.
Since someone attempted an accessible mod years ago there have been a number of advancements, most noteably OCR, allowing us to extract text from images and thus in a readable form for screen readers.
DF's interface even the front menus doesn't seem to work with this, however. So I found a post about DFEverywhere thinking it might solve the interface issue as far as getting around the menus.
Are there any similar projects around that actually exist? With game accessibility being a big part of the gaming industry now, I know that accessibility is on the minds of the devs developing the Steam/Itch version with 2D graphics, however I doubt they're thinking about blind accessibility but I won't complain about that. Modders can do great things; Hearthstone is becoming accessible with modding as of last week.

Thanks.

opticaldisc

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Optical Disc
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress text mode/web browser/SSH version?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 10:04:58 pm »

The default game comes with a real text mode that is currently only accessible to Linux and Mac users. It uses ncurses to output to any standard terminal, and therefore works fine with remote SSH sessions with nearly all of the vanilla game's functionality intact. There is trouble with keybindings if you want to use DFHack, but there's ways to get around that as well.

If you need to run the game on Windows specifically, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Optical Disc.

Orinks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress text mode/web browser/SSH version?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 02:45:50 pm »

Could I access it with WSL, perhaps?