Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What kind of economic system do Fortresses of Dwarf Fortress follow currently?  (Read 1527 times)

Jordy_McCroquettes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

That may seem like a weird question, and I'm not sure if it has its place here, but I'm worldbuilding right now and I want to build a society similar to those we see in our current Fortress mode games. Would you just call it a palace economy?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

DF doesn't have an economy currently outside of the generic, heavily-abstracted one seen in worldgen, so if you need an economy for your Fortress-Mode-inspired society I'd say just go with whatever you think feels right. Palace economy works.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That may seem like a weird question, and I'm not sure if it has its place here, but I'm worldbuilding right now and I want to build a society similar to those we see in our current Fortress mode games. Would you just call it a palace economy?

I think a "Palace Economy" is a close fit, with the state accumulating resources which are then distributed to the populace.  In gameplay, it's very much a command economy, with nothing happening except by the mandate of the ruler, but I think that's just a necessary feature of it being a game, and we can imagine that that isn't really how a fort would operate in the wider world.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."