Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to build & use musical instruments ?  (Read 16683 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: How to build & use musical instruments ?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 11:31:52 am »

Agreed.  My thought was more along the lines of enumerate, globally, all itemdef_instrumentst entries that have the civ of your dwarves as the historical entity reference.  That way, you don't miss anything and it doesn't matter what dwarves are competent.
Good idea on the embark screen though, to be able to select instruments to bring, should give you a civ-complete list.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 12:53:27 pm »

the elf civilisation that trades with us (a modded elf civ rather than the stock elves who should also be present but are apparently not in trading range), has four musical instruments.

The local beastmen (mod) have 6 instruments. The humans, 5.

My civilisation of drows. 17 musical instruments, 13 of which are multi-part ones.

:-\

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 01:38:30 am »

In my experience, having two single-part instruments is pretty impressive. Usually they have at least three parts.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 05:26:31 am »

*gestures*

*the topic shudders and begins to move*

Can you confirm if dwarves actually use the static instruments?  Some people discussed never having seen them get used, and though I myself don't always build a tavern or temple

Managed to catch a visitor playing a stationary instrument, and grabbed a screenshot as evidence that they are indeed used:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm having a fun time imagining a undead T-Rex Man playing a glass music instrument with 80 bone bells and a wooden keyboard.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 08:30:04 am »

Managed to catch a visitor playing a stationary instrument, and grabbed a screenshot as evidence that they are indeed used:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm having a fun time imagining a undead T-Rex Man playing a glass music instrument with 80 bone bells and a wooden keyboard.

I imagine a frequent mistake is to put the static instrument in the middle of the dancefloor, when really it can be anywhere in the zone, because its solidness obstructs a walkable/dance tile. Paved floors as borders to the dance zone works well enough, with furniture obstructing the rest of the tavern so that dwarves do their jigs in the according place.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 04:28:35 pm »

There used to be a bug where anything that was in the zone would obstruct the ability to dance in an orthogonal cross around the object eg:
Code: [Select]
+ + + + X + +         
X X X X π X X
+ + + + X + +
+ + + + X + +
+ + + + X + +
+ + + + X + +
and
Code: [Select]
+ + + X X X +         
X X X I I I X
+ + + X X X +
+ + + X X X +
+ + + X X X + 
+ + + X X X +
This would make a row of instruments along one wall obstruct the entire dance floor with invisible influence. The temporary workaround was to stack your instruments in the far corner of the dance floor and not have many of them. Is this bug now gone?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 06:17:30 am »

Is this bug now gone?

I can't find it on the bug tracker, so unless Toady stumbled across it some other way, I suspect it's still there and needs to be reported.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]