Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Adventure Mode] Character Creation Templates  (Read 879 times)

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
[Adventure Mode] Character Creation Templates
« on: August 29, 2021, 12:21:19 pm »

Hi,

There have been many times I had to start over due to a mishap with my reactions, an error with transferring my saves over to a newer version of Dwarf Fortress—usually a few of my chosen graphics set's graphical tiles getting mixed up, or an unforeseen mistake with my world that I could only view after the creation of my characters—again, usually the reactions since it's impossible to create new ones in a concurrent world.

Due to having to start over so much, I have to go through the tedium that is character creation all over again which means making sure my Adventurer and her comrades both spawn in the same place after getting their names to be in the right language, making sure their appearances are to my liking, making sure their personalities and aspirations compliment each other—not too much but enough to have some smoothness with each other with a bit of friction every now and then, making sure they're properly geared with equipment that suits their combat capabilities I also have to fine-tune, and making sure they have capable pets.

It would save us all so much of the time spent doing the above if we could save our customizations—both of the Adventurer and the Adventurer's companions—to a template that we could simply load into the game then change or select the options that can't be saved into a template such as the location of which they spawn since that depends on the chosen world, equipment since that depends on the location chosen, and pets since they depends on the world they occupy—rather they're extinct or not. If the race saved within the template doesn't exist in the player's chosen world and does not have the [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] token, the template simply can't be used.

Hopefully, there are others that feel the same way I do and would like to see this added in as a feature.
Thanks to those of you who gave this a read. ♡