Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheezy problem. Dwarves won't haul cheese  (Read 1087 times)

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cheezy problem. Dwarves won't haul cheese
« on: September 01, 2021, 04:57:18 am »

Hello all,

DF version .44.12

So I have a fairly nice fortress build around a volcano top. I got a nice gift from my dwarfen civilization. My depot burned down with their caravan in it. So my people quickly moved these gifts to the stockpiles. All goods you ask? No not all goods.

For some reason no matter what I try the cheese is still lying around there. No dwarf wants to touch it or move it.

I tried making a cheese only stockpile next to the area.
I tried forbidding the goods and unforbidding them a day later
I even tried to d(ump) them but no, they wouldn't even dump the cheese into the volcano
I gave all my haulers the cheese making tag

So how on earth will my cheese get moving?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Cheezy problem. Dwarves won't haul cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 07:46:22 am »

If the cheese is rotting, it requires a refuse stockpile. Dumping does not work outside unless you give explicit [ o ]rder.

Is the cheese on a valid floor tile? It usually only happens when cutting trees, but it's possible for floor-less tiles to occur above walls, in which case items can lay there but dwarves cannot walk on it. You wouldn't have noticed while the depot was there, because it forms implicit flooring.

Else, given the depot burned, the cheese may be molten? Not sure how that works, but I can't imagine dwarves hauling old fondue. In this case, I think all "contaminants" are cleaned by constructing then removing a floor or wall.

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10:15 pm »

Specific dump order was given.
Refuse stockpile is right next to the cheese.
Definitely on solid ground.

Although it doesn't say it is molten in the item description, being molten might be the only explanation. But all the other goods were taken to stockpiles from exactly the same tiles strangely enough. Even the books and parchments didn't burn.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 04:58:12 am »

Cheese that got hot burns, and stays burning. I've had endlessly burning cheese before, and had to wall it in to continue to play the fort. I expect you are dealing with endlessly burning but on the surface cheese. No one wants to deal with that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:46:55 am »

I would guess that it has melted and re-solidified into a blob.
You see the same thing happen to copper/bronze/silver items which get submerged in magma. The metal doesn't completely disappear but it stops being a piece of usable equipment. If I remember correctly its name just becomes the same as the material it's made of, so a bronze shield becomes just "bronze" but sheep cheese would still be called "sheep cheese".
In the case of metal it can't be hauled anywhere or designated for melting. It's treated like a contaminant so the only way to get rid of it is for a dwarf to come and clean the tile it's on.
If it's on an above-ground tile then your dwarves might refuse to clean it. Maybe try building a road over the cheese.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 01:38:55 am »

I would also check the Stocks menu, under cheese, globs, or other places where damaged cheese might be found.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 02:53:06 pm »

If you've got dfhack installed you can k over a piece of cheese and troubleshoot-item. You might find it's still got the Trader flag on, in which case dorfs won't touch it.
I wrote a trader-off.lua script that removes the flag globally but it seems to update 1000s of items so I don't know what's going on there. It hasn't caused any problems....yet...
(I've only ever run it with no traders on screen. If they were present I expect this'd be equivalent to stealing all their goods.)

Code: [Select]
for i, item in ipairs (df.global.world.items.all) do
   if item.flags.trader then
      item.flags.trader = false
      dfhack.println ("Trader Flag Unset")
   end
end

Edit: BTW I'm perfectly happy to be told this script is a dangerous load of crap. As long as that's accompanied with the relevant fixes to make it a bit safer.