Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Design software?  (Read 5373 times)

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Design software?
« on: September 02, 2021, 04:10:29 pm »

I’ve started a new job which involves designing furniture which is then built in wood by guys in a workshop. I’m trying to optimise the process and produce cutting lists for them. Currently we use Autocad Lt, which has ‘dynamic blocks’ so I can stretch the design and auto edits the parts.
BUT I’m sure there must be an easier program for the task, and I wondered if anyone has done anything similar and had any recommendations?

I can use Blender to a certain degree but that doesn’t give me the text, and I could rig up a text based cutting list in Excel, but it doesn’t include the visual. There’s gotta be some other software designed for this very purpose, right?
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Design software?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 11:04:20 pm »

You need to stay with industrial design software.

This is due to industrial software being volumetric solid based, and Blender and pals being tessellated mesh based.   EG, you can be sure that your material is exactly 1.5 inches wide in the industrial design software, while you cannot be sure of that with Blender and pals.

Personally, I use Dassault Systemes CATIA.  It has "Parameter based design" features, where you can use what are essentially some global variables to define how a part's geometry is derived, so that you can easily adjust the finished product with a few value changes.   It requires you to design with that featureset in mind though.  If your company is already using AutoCad, their tooling is likely already pipelined for that product's output, and you should stick with that software. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 08:31:07 pm »

I can use Blender to a certain degree but that doesn’t give me the text, and I could rig up a text based cutting list in Excel, but it doesn’t include the visual. There’s gotta be some other software designed for this very purpose, right?

To the best of my knowledge Autocad IS that software. Like, it's the industry standard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 09:31:29 pm »

Dassault catia, and Unigraphics are also leading packages.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 03:03:17 am »

A quick glance at open-source software shows LibreCAD, OpenSCAD, and FreeCAD. wierd, have you used any of those before?

It might be worth installing and trying those out - no clue if they are high quality, but they're all free.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 11:34:10 am »

AutoCAD is the standard. You can check out SolidWorks though, or Rhino 3D
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 02:36:57 am »

SolidWorks is a Demia product, which is associated with Dassault.

https://www.industrynet.com/listing/3793908/dassault-systemes

Unigraphics produces the NX product line, and AutoDesk produces AutoCad and associated tools.

Usually, these large CAD/CAM packages are sold as complete workflow packages, with known toolchains, and strong support for various third party tools, like VeriCut and pals.

I have only dabbled with the FreeCad and pals.  I have so far found them to be woefully inferior to my Catia seat.  (then again, I can make that catia seat sing and dance. I know how to use the VBA automation backend underneath, in addition to the parameter based design features.)

These days, I mostly just use it to design solids for use with my 3D printer, but I also know how to create subtractive manufacturing CNC programs using the appropriate workbenches in the product line.   It's really very easy to use the dassault software.  I have dabbled with autocad and NX, but find I just like catia better.  Go figure.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 02:42:22 pm »

Stay away from LibreCAD - it's 2d only and from the job description (designing furniture) you need 3D. For 3D either FreeCAD or SolveSpace are good open source options. Both seem to have AutoCAD import/export although I don't know how good they are. Currently learning FreeCAD to hopefully do 3d printing designs in it in the future, but both FreeCAD and SolveSpace have great tutorials available online.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).