Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor through inheritance?  (Read 696 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayor through inheritance?
« on: September 02, 2021, 08:43:35 pm »

Hey there! Does anyone know if it is possible to make the Mayor position SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR instead of ELECTED. Would it work or would there be a problem because the first one wouldn't be selected? Could I make it that someone like, say, the broker, selected him? Something like [APPOINTED_BY:BROKER][SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR].

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Mayor through inheritance?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 07:53:39 am »

I'm not an expert, but you could try it out rather quickly by setting the requirement down to 8 people and waiting for the first migrant wave in a fresh (no-history) world.  (Or on a long-history world and getting lucky with the Monster Slayers I suppose.)

In the default raws, the expedition leader is REPLACED_BY:MAYOR and the sheriff is REPLACED_BY:CAPTAIN_OF_THE_GUARD.  The expedition leader gets un-nobled for the election, but the sheriff gets automatically converted to the new position.  Therefore, I believe your plan would work.

However, I do not know if the game has a failsafe if the last heir dies.  To my knowledge, barons &c cannot be re-appointed if nobody inherits the title.

In Fortress Mode, APPOINTED_BY means that you need one of those positions before you can Replace/FillVacancy.  This is not automatic.  Giving this responsibility to the broker, which in turn is appointed by the mayor, means that you could still end up unable to appoint a new mayor, if the broker is also unavailable.  Ignoring roleplay, the mechanically safest solution I can conceive is an ELECTED position that does nothing but has the right to appoint mayors.