Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decent Bluetooth Earbud recommendations  (Read 4188 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Decent Bluetooth Earbud recommendations
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:34:41 pm »

Work got me a new iPhone, and I jumped up like 5 versions of phone and lost my beloved 3.5mm audio jack.

I'd been thinking of getting a pair of Bluetooth ones for a while for working out but never really pulled the trigger. Now I don't really have a choice.

So I'm not looking for top of the line or anything. What I mostly care about is....

-Long battery life.
-No stupid stuff like a wire running between them with a volume control on it.
-No more than $120, and even that is pushing it.
-USB charging.

The only real brand that I know is Raycon because they're all over youtube gaming videos as sponsors. But a bit of research shows they're kind overpriced for what you get. I saw Creative Outlier Gold recommended, but the only thing I can find on Newgg is $170, because everywhere else seems sold out. So that's a no go either.

Anyways, any recommendations would be appreciated.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Decent Bluetooth Earbud recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 01:39:45 am »

Despite the marketing drones of Apple trying to insist otherwise, bluetooth audio will *NEVER* have the fidelity of quality 3.5mm audio jack based headphones.

This is simply due to the codec used to transmit the audio. In addition to the bit crush that happens from your encoder, the bluetooth audio stack itself will further bit-crush the audio to deliver it to your earbuds.  There is no solution to this.

I would suggest instead, a lightning port audio device, to get your 3.5mm audio port back.  (I cannot actually vouch for that product, it is listed only as an example of the technology available. You would want to find one that has a fully supported and integrated DSP, so that the iphone can send it digital data, and real analog data can be produced and sent down the line. That way your FLACC formatted audio still sounds good.)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:45:51 am by wierd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 10:05:31 am »

I'm not an audiophile so audio fidelity isn't super important to me.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 10:54:04 am »

You loved your wired jack but don't want wires in your bluetooth? Okay, I guess. A wire in between lets you hang the things around you neck, if you have a shirt clip, when you need them out of your ears. I guess I don't know how you really use headphones. And no wire means not closed can so in ear it shall be.

You don't care about audio quality so go with something like mpow, which does have okay sound quality. They're fine. You can hear noise for $40 https://www.xmpow.com/products/mpow-432-true-wireless-earbuds-with-active-noise-cancellation
or even $25 https://www.xmpow.com/collections/headphones
Take your pick. They all make sound. (I use the sport at work. Volume and power in the right earpiece.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:55:53 am by BigD145 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 11:19:27 am »

I figure if I'm getting wireless, why have wires? Apparently on-earbud volume controls are a deal breaker for some people, hence the wire with the volume control on it for some models.

I use headphones almost entirely for music while walking and running, and lifting. The less dangly stuff there is in those instances, the better.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 11:30:22 am »

I figure if I'm getting wireless, why have wires? Apparently on-earbud volume controls are a deal breaker for some people, hence the wire with the volume control on it for some models.

I use headphones almost entirely for music while walking and running, and lifting. The less dangly stuff there is in those instances, the better.

One wire with almost no weight to it (lack of volume control) clipped to a shirt will stay on better than anything else while running. The wire somewhat keeps the ear piece seated in your ear when you bounce. Unless you're doing sittups or lifting with a bar on your neck you're not going to notice and it's one more way to not lose either earbud. But mpow has multiple configurations and for running you want the over ear bit to keep each earbud on, wire or no wire.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:35:56 am »

Unless you're doing sittups or lifting with a bar on your neck you're not going to notice and it's one more way to not lose either earbud.

I do both of these things. And burpees, mountain climbers, and all sorts of stuff. I don't actually do much running so I'm not super concerned about losing them. And it's just as much the look of it too.

I'd add too that I loved my wired earbuds because they didn't cost anything. Work has boxes and boxes of iphone wired earbuds here. Now that I "need" wireless I might as well commit.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 11:52:56 am »

Worst case you're out $27 and it comes in black or pink. There are lots of this hardware under many brand names.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Earphones-Microphone/dp/B095NVQCD6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mpow+503&qid=1629823839&sr=8-1
It has a case you can throw in a gym bag.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 01:14:32 pm »

For $27, that battery life and USB-C charging, I can take that risk.

Thanks for the suggestions!