Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anger and Pandemic-Induced Isolation  (Read 15443 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Anger and Pandemic-Induced Isolation
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2021, 01:28:41 pm »

Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world.

"From the moment I understood the weakness of my own flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind cling to your flesh, as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you'll beg my kind to save you. But I am already saved. For the machine is immortal…"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2021, 11:28:33 pm »

Lo'look at you Hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone: panting and sweating as you ru'run through my corridors... How can you challenge a Perfect, Immortal machine?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2021, 06:13:07 pm »

Acknowledged that Vector is kinda past what was cause for the thread, but I figured I'd post this. Too bad I hadn't consulted Brain Wolf before posting originally.

And ya know, I have a little recent story that also kinda reflects this thread.

We go get coffee every day around 3pm just to get out of work and wake up a little bit for the last stretch of the day. We've hired a bunch of new people from another software place near where we get coffee, and it's not a big town so you see people you know regularly.

One woman approaches one of our new "refugees" and is like hi, great to see you, oh you work with those guys now, sweet.

And then said this:

"Please tell [a former coworker who has been my coworker for about 5 years now] that she is the most awesome, amazing, patient friend she's ever had, and she's sorry that she fell off the radar during Corona."

It do be like that sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:19:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2021, 10:00:29 pm »

Honestly, I appreciate the story. I'm not really past it, I'm just past the point where it was debilitating, LOL. So it's good to hear about things like that happening.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2021, 11:44:51 am »

Ahhh, the last update was in May ...

I would like to confirm that the blinding anger I was experiencing was probably due to just having a Very Bad Time with being isolated. I also ended up experiencing mild memory loss/mental fog type things for a while and so on. I moved to a different city and just the sheer novelty (+less intense COVID restrictions due to better pandemic management) is helping a lot. Plus, housemates!

I'm not feeling all that angry anymore because now that everyone (who I know personally) is vaccinated, most of the people who went "shrug, we're all suffering" are showing recognition that I need a little extra help. That little extra is going a long way :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 07:00:50 pm »

it's understandable. i'm just glad you're doing better now yo

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2021, 02:15:02 pm »

Just writing again to reaffirm that this was indeed the result of being isolated. After about the six-month mark since leaving the half-year of isolation, I'm having a little trouble with forgetfulness still but it's very, very minor. I'm on academic probation but I'm turning in HW even if it's usually late, attending most classes, and aced my last midterm no sweat. The external irritability is basically gone.

I'm going to need to be treated for treatment-resistant depression via magnets on my head starting in about a month, but yeah, the most worrying symptoms are fading for sure.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2021, 07:50:58 pm »

Magnets??

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2021, 08:44:28 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2021, 07:26:23 am »

I hope it's effective.

I would rather not hear about you getting CES should your TMS treatments prove insufficient... (O.o)

TMS is better able to be targeted for specific brain regions, where CES is Plug&Pray.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2021, 12:32:08 pm »

I would rather not hear about you getting CES should your TMS treatments prove insufficient... (O.o)

TMS is better able to be targeted for specific brain regions, where CES is Plug&Pray.

Yeah, not planning on it. I'm not doing any leaps of faith here... my insurance covers the TMS and I have a best friend who has multiple friends who said it was really good.

We'll see, eh . . .

Pages: 1 2 [3]