Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Mario Kart '21 Grand Prix (Signups closed, waiting list open-next race soon!)  (Read 14002 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart '21 Grand Prix (Sign ups open!)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 01:28:35 am »

Vroom vroom!

Crank (Toaster)
Points- 0
Fame- 0
Coin- 2

A veteran from the original MKL, Crank has returned to find more fame.  He is still obsessed with the idea of fame, perfection of his skills, and proof that he is capable of success.  It may be starting to catch up with him...

Kart
Name: Grotto Greased Lightning
Paint Job: Purple with Dark Blue Accents

Module Installed: High Accel
Permanent Hiccups: TBD
Races: 0

Hope you don't mind me dusting off an old friend...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 02:00:40 am »

Okay, here's Olaf the Stout.

(His entire in-game sprite fits into 50x50)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 04:21:59 am »

Hey toaster! Glad to see we got some old hands on board.

Quote from: monk12
sneep

These are all good suggestions. I did remember banana magnet being deadly. When you add to many penalties to the hazard roll every banana becomes a hiccup lol 

Anti shield seems a logical hiccup to keep the two separate. 

The changes to signal interference make sense.  It's one of the more low tier hiccups, but since it affects a tag rather than an item it'll be a consistent one.

I'll probably eliminate the hopping around loot tiers by roll thing in a negative sense. Sounds good in theory but not practice. Mostly because it makes no sense to hop a tier rather than get hit with an item if it supposed to increase your chances.

Quickfire start def needs to be made competitive with free item mod. They're both designed as early advantage modules.

I liked fish food and friends too, I just thought it was a bit evil to destroy racers so early, especially before understood how tracks are built and what sort of measures they have to take. They're intended to be big whammys that have to be compensated for indeed.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 09:38:30 am »

Crank
Coin -3 (Now 2)

High Acceleration
Deathrattle
Module: Grotto Racing League ReG Kit
Cranks victories in MKL inspired a legion of under-youngsters to begin their own (literally) underground sport known as the GRT, a dangerous, unsanctioned, and wildly popular sport among Gloombas, Dark Koopas, Spike Tops, Mousers and other underground dwellers that involves mini-motorcycles, melee combat with axes and swords, and jumping over lava pits. They don't even wear helmets! A popular modification available to its racers known as the ReG kit, which retools a vehicles gearing completely, adding increased pick up and go at the cost of no small amount of systems instability-a small cost to pay for fame!

This next racer...WOW! Is that who I think it is?

It sure is, Bob! We've got the confirmation right here from our canonologists. This is the actual original Crank, 101% match to our universal signature! He's no imitation!

For those of you too young to remember, which is most of you, Crank the Gloomba is a legendary MKL racer. He's a track record holder in multiple courses, and holds the legacy of being the only rookie to win the Star Cup!

Let's dig into the 'MKL Vault' for a replay of that amazing finish!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The clip opens on the recognizable sight of Rainbow Road-the familiar multicolored nightmare in low orbit without any safety rails-we begin with with a closeup of a little blue Gloombas kart nearly skidding over the edge of the track-by some amazing conjunction of skill and luck, he manages to recover, a scowling regal figure hot on his tail-that can only be Princess Zelda. As they enter the home stretch, Zeldas cart seems to summon the triforce of speed and rapidly closes the gap. At the last moment, a perfectly dropped banana and an aggressive attempted ram from Crank force her back! Though her evasive driving is in itself, a beautiful display of driver skill, Crank still manages to force her back long enough to cross the finish line in a burst of rainbow stars!

...Crank has always been said to be a highly aggressive racer who gives little ground, favoring Karts with powerful acceleration. He placed very high in every race in his first season, and closed out as the ultimate winner against some very tough competition.

And had an interesting career afterwards, at least if you believe the Grotto News Network.

Now he's come back with a fresh sheet-in the new league, he no points, no cups, crowns. And he'll have to prove again why he was famous if he wants to win over the new audience, who is more into twitcher and ticktock than watching old races! Nookingtons, his old sponsor, has grown over the years-in no small part due to Cranks racing popularity-and is now under new management. They haven't returned any of our calls on a renewal of his contract. Why do you think he came back, Jim?

Rumors swirl that he wants to put another golden statue of himself by his original golden statue in the MKL Hall of Fame!

A model of humility, Jim! While his surfeit of skill surely puts the other rookies to shame, it should be said that Crank himself once competed as a lone, unskilled rookie up against the best of the best-and he came out on top. Will the Legend prove he still has the salt to run with young dogs, or will the weather of old age finally bear down upon his age of discontent?

Too many metaphors, Bob! Also I'm not sure how Gloombas age. Let's just wish him the best of luck. But he's Crank! When has he ever needed luck?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2021, 11:04:53 am »

MLK RULES CHANGES (Pre-Season)

New Items
Mini-Mushroom: Provides a tiny speed boost equal to +1 momentum, and a free pass attempt only if Momentum is higher than the racer ahead

In a bid to save money, MKL has begun putting mini-mushrooms in item boxes, much to the concern of mushroom parents across the kingdom. Curiously, it reduces the size of the racer as well as speeding them up. While this undoes much of the effect, it does allow for some interesting shortcuts.

Phanto Key: Touching the key calls down a spooky mask that endlessly chases the racer who foolishly snatched it. Phanto attacks every round with an opposed hazard check, flipping the driver he hits and causing them to lose TWO momentum before vanishing with an evil laugh-along with taking his key back. Phanto can be held off, but always returns, though thankfully there can be only one on the track at a time. The real question is, what does the key unlock?

No one knows the origin of these terrifying smiling masks, but they're commonly used to guard important objects in Subcon, the Land of Dreams. Phantos are legendary for their persistence in  pursuing anyone who has stolen from them. They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. They absolutely will not stop, ever, until your kart is flipped.

Module/Perks
Quickfire Start: Now costs 1 Coin, Provides a +2 Bonus. No longer comes with a hiccup.
After some extensive redesign, the Quickfire Rocket Module has been re-released in the form of a detachable starting line booster-it's more powerful, cheaper, and doesn't negatively interfere with a racers kart all that much.

Invisibility: Now makes you unable to be intentionally targeted by rams.
Boos have improved their ability to increase intangibility in friendly drivers.

Hiccups
Signal Interference: Now again provides a +2 bonus.
Karts aiming systems have retuned slightly.

Grounded: Penalty redesigned, now provides +2 bonus to projectile attacks performed against you.
In line with MOS upgrades, karts who suffer laying too flat to the track now make for much easier targets.

Mold Growth: Chance reduced to 10%
Adding poison shrooms to the inventory of item boxes has lead to an increase in accidental damaging exposure to karts and the furniture in the coffee lounge. MKL has instituted an extensive quarantine procedures to protect against poison mold growth.

Tags
Redesigned to differentiate items that be used on self, and those that can and cannot be evaded. Smaller QOL changes.

Shrink is now a separated effect from a loss of 3 momentum. Your kart gains the featherweight penalty of -1 to rams for the duration. It can however, open certain secret routes.

Loot Tables
Loot Crits and Loot Fails have now been redesigned.

Rolling a 0 simply results in you getting a poison, doom shroom, or a new items-Mini Mushroom and Phanto. Rolling an 11 can now clear a hiccup on any kart on tier 1 and reroll, allows you to choose any item from tier 2 on a t2, or choose any item ever released in any MKL race on a tier 3.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:34:23 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2021, 11:53:09 am »

Oh and it seems deathrattle doesn't actually do anything as a module lol

So I think I'll let Deathrattle stack and operate differently. If you get it mid-race it justs gives you a permanent hiccup and replaces itself, on a module it gives kart damage and replaces itself so you're not getting limitless hiccups. But it's one of those things where you can risk totally avoiding damage to gain advantage.

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 01:41:07 pm »

This looks like it’ll be loads of fun. Bowser would like in, but for now he won’t modify his kart

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2021, 02:55:04 pm »

Hold on a minute, we've just received word-the Mushroom Kingdom is being invaded by Bowsers Army! Again!

We can see them marching in the streets! At least a hundred Koopas! Hammer Brothers and Charging Chucks! There's confirmations of more than half of the Koopa Kids directing the attack! Paragoombas are falling from the skies-air cover is being provided to the drop zones by some of our less friendly cousins-those are battle clouds, Jim! And they all seem to be converging on MKL headquarters! This announcer has only one thing to say...

I'll say it for both of us, Bob! Rise up and fight! Take your star-spears and fire flowers, prepare to resist! The Mushroom Kingdom will never fall! We'll fight to the last Lakitu! We'll fight in the pipes! We'll fight in the blocks! We'll never surrend...hey, why have they all stopped?

King Bowser himself has made an appearance at the head of the army! He's walking into the front door! The door guard has fled! King Bowser has...placed some sort of sheaf of papers with the desk attendant-probably surrender documents! We'll never sign them, you scaly tyrant!

...Getting confirmation from the lower floors, Bob! The papers are...all the proper forms to join MKL as a rookie racer. Well, they do seem to be in order.

...Well, I guess we can welcome our new racer, King Bowser of the Koopa Kingdom! He's always been a somewhat erratic presence in MKL, and he brings no shortage of infamy to our honorable sport...a heavy weight racer who traditionally bullies his way to the front of the pack, he likes nothing more than racing-and defeating-his nemesis, Mario. We could use him about now!

...Have the soldiers left?

They seem to be filing into the stands, Bob, in an orderly and unrushed fashion. They're buying snacks and drinks! They're starting to wave little Koopa Kingdom flags! Hey, they brought kids with them! Child soldiers?

They're not soldiers, they're tourists, Jim! They're actually spending real money!

...Then, I'll say it for both of us, Bob! We here at the Mushroom Kingdom welcome all visitors with open arms into our wonderful homeland! Feel free to make yourself at home, and remember to spend spend spend! There's no better value to your coin than here! Now enjoy 20 minutes of Koopaland Advertisements from our new sponsors as of a few minutes ago! I'm contractually obligated to say, All Glory to Koopaland!

All glory to Koopaland!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 02:57:31 pm by Dwarmin »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2021, 03:29:31 pm »

So Deathrattle isn't a hiccup until it's two hiccups.  Interesting; the Kart one is immediately permanent and not curable midrace either?  I guess it wouldn't be nearly as bad as an initial hiccup if not; the only disadvantage that way is the lack of ability to plan around it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2021, 04:30:53 pm »

The kart one is considered a module hiccup and thus incurable, yeah. Except by removing the module lol You essentially roll again and replace deathrattle. And yeah part of is meant that you're banking on none but get two at once without any way to plan for it. It's not one of the strongest hiccups tbh but not all are of similar danger.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 10:13:01 am »

Is it ok if I join? I’d like my character to be a Rotom if no one else picked it. I’ll add the stats and stuff soon

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 12:50:03 pm »

We welcome all and sundry. S1 roster is the 3rd post from the start, needless to say no one picked that specific racer! Cool choice btw

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 06:43:37 pm »

Reading again my RAW for deathrattle and loose screws still annoys me. I'm gonna make a final change for sure this time. For Deathrattle both bonus hiccups go on the module, not the kart. This is in addition to the hiccup you got on the actual roll, which does go on. 

Translation, you got parts that have good short term value, but bad long term value. In this case limited to the module tho, as you can trade it, remove it, or mitigate it. So it's still a good initial roll.

Loose screws is too similar to that without buffing it, so as befitting a roll of 13 any hiccup will now simply destroy the part. Oops. I'll put a 25% refund warranty so it's not too crushing.

Don't get damaged and it will all be fine tho lol

Labor day gave me mushroom brain.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 07:18:43 pm »

Final notes I'm calling an end to any more pre race rules changes unless someone points out anything drastic. Anyone who has purchased something is entitled to change their purchases and get rerolls once.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2021, 07:54:43 pm »

I like that Deathrattle change.  It's great until it isn't!

Also, thanks again to Freeformschooler for the Crank art; let's continue to give the credit where it's due.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12