Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Mario Kart '21 Grand Prix (Signups closed, waiting list open-next race soon!)  (Read 14452 times)

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart '21 Grand Prix (2 more slots open, next race soon!)
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2021, 08:13:16 am »

”Uggghhh…fine. Just don’t make me look stupid or anything.”

Fork over the coin, inaudibly grumbling.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2021, 10:46:50 am »

Agree to fund them! Provided they'll invite me to that dinner.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2021, 06:56:06 pm »

Also, that last race has taught me something.
It's that I have to get better at sword fighting! Better find someone to spar with.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2021, 07:04:42 pm »

For some reason, a dog with a Swordfish has appeared, offering lessons for a contract.

The Undersigned will not use these lessons* to harm , their teacher, Dick Dastardly or their descendants. Harming those in question will result in forfeiture of 3 coins, or goods in value total to that.**

Signature here x

*may or may not be the lessons you wish. The teacher has the right to schedule lesson times and locations.
**Higher Value may be taken if lower value parts do not equal amount owed.

Snrksnrksnrk.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2021, 07:09:54 pm »

Jack's sword sings as it shreds the paper in two!
"Ah, Duckhunt! En garde! It will be my pleasure to clash with a Smasher, hee ho!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2021, 10:34:20 am »

Crank had been holed up in his trailer for quite some time, it was true.  He would certainly object to the word "sulking" but maybe it wasn't too far off from true.  He had indeed felt zero interest in talking to the media, and he had mostly ignored the first banging on his trailer; when he checked that out, all that was there was a torn piece of paper and an empty drink bottle.  Boomer certainly knew how to command attention, however.

Take the Arctic Compensator!  Slap it in and have it start Compensating for Cold Start!

Crank and Boomer oversee the delivery and installation of both a tiny, yet brave blue and white DADE2021 flag, and a large device that looks something like a refrigerator with a lot more whirly bits and antennae.

[4][8]

Compensator
Ice Sparks: When drafting, Crank take one Chill. Any opponents drafting Crank take one Chill. Chill applied after the draft is resolved. If compensated for, replaces Chill with Incendiary.
Module: Arctic Compensator
As far as the team can understand, the AC siphons cold gas into his Luck Circuits directly.This modifies the usual Luck Sparks produced by the kart from the air, and also collects them-storing them in a 'Luck Bucket' in a solid frozen state. The Luck Sparks are then thawed and the 'Liquid Fortune' is something Crank can then direct to the system of his choosing for spot repairs. There's a polite note saying under no circumstances should this liquid be drunk. Unfortunately this has an odd side effect...

Boomer theorizes this device will be used by the expedition as a way to use the cold air in the Arctic Wastes to their advantage, using the liquidized fortune to help keep their vehicles and machines running.

"Could have used this in the war!"

After a few test spins around the trailer, he can't find anything obviously wrong with it...it's when Boomer challenges him to a test race that they do.

The canny Bom-omb (no slouch on the track, himself) finds out that as soon as he attempts to draft Crank, it excites the frozen Luck Sparks trailing behind the Kart-the wind tunnel begins super icy, and Boomer begins to freeze solid-his kart slows down momentarily, and suffers a bit of damage as the ice melts.

Crank finds that when he attempts to draft Boomer, it has the same effect-his kart seems to draw in the cold air like a vacuum.

"...Well, Drafting is going to be slightly dangerous, but it shouldn't ordinarily be a problem as long as you maintain high speed-MKL just sent us rules on this new newfangled elemental mechanic...it seems to affect the racer following you as well, so there's at least some benefit...

Alright, the basic rules are-heat is more dangerous if you're at high speeds, and chill is more dangerous at low speeds. It seems whenever your Karts speed moseys up or down during the cleanup phase, it could get seriously damaged..."

His team spends the rest of the day theory crafting and come to the conclusion the best possible outcome is for either party to maintain high speed during a draft attempt, so to minimize the chance of cold damage to the kart. The worst possible outcome is a hit from a heavy weapon like a POW block, or a succession of rams, shells, or hazards, which leave a kart crippled.

One of his team notes Cranks High Acceleration system is potentially an amplifier of this damage, and implements a quick fix.

Yet another (the oldest member of his team) points out something that should be obvious.

"I may be 8-bits old, but it seems to me you could just use the compensator to compensate for the Ice Sparks, right? Use the system to fix the system?"

While this is a good idea, it seems to have the inverse effects during a draft-causing either kart to rapidly heat up to the point of combustion. But it should be safer for Crank at lower speeds-and consequently, more of a risk for anyone attempting to draft by you at high speed.

None of the team can agree which one is better, or when it should be used. As usual, Crank will have to balance these decisions during the race.

It's something of a relief when MKL sends the cloud-barge to pick everyone up for the trip to Chocoland.

Crank (Toaster)
Points- 0+4=4
Fame- 0
Coin- 2
Backstory: A veteran from the original MKL, Crank has returned to find more fame.  He is still obsessed with the idea of fame, perfection of his skills, and proof that he is capable of success.  It may be starting to catch up with him...

Kart
Name: Grotto Greased Lightning
Paint Job: Purple with Dark Blue Accents

Module Installed: High Accel (GRLR Kit), Compensator (Arctic Compensator)
Module Hiccups: Low Loot, Ice Sparks (Arctic Compensator)
Compensated: Cold Start (GRLR Kit)
Permanent Hiccups: None
Races: 1
Placement
Mushroom Cup/Luigis Waterway (Summer)/5th Place
Credits: To Freeform for original Crank art

”Uggghhh…fine. Just don’t make me look stupid or anything.”

Fork over the coin, inaudibly grumbling.
-1 Coin

Bowser grumbles as he pays the stylist with the coin team flare just paid him, leaving him at a net of zero unless you count the annoying re-decorators...

As it turns out, Abreezio (a whimsical toad with a blue and white cap who refuses to speak to his clients), does seem to have the vaguest idea of what he is doing.

Using the ancient style of MarioPaint, Abreezio remakes Bowser into a high resolution, crimson hue! The purple shell is a bit weird, but eh, artists...

One of his assistant toads holds up a mirror after the 'operation' is complete.
"Do you like it? We can undo it not, but there's no refunds! Sorry! Please don't burn down the studio!"

Hmm...

Bowser figures he'll have to decide quickly. The cloud-car is set to take him to the docks where the can get a ride to the next race soon. In Choco-land, of all places.

He'll be flying 1st class, of course. No need to stow away with the 'baggage'!

?
?
Bowser (SuperDino85)
Points- 0+3=3
Fame- 0
Coin- 5+1-1=5
Backstory: King of the Koopas and don't you forget it.

Kart
Name: BW Standard
Paint Job: Villainous Reptile Orange

Module Installed: Firebreath Ignition Sparker (High Acceleration)
Module Hiccups: None
Placement
Mushroom Cup/Luigis Waterway (Summer)/7th Place
Special: Keyholder

Sponsor: Racing for Team Flare Vision
"Jack Frost, more like Jack LOST...! After my racer defeated him! Which is like, future tense."
Sign on Bonus: 1 Coins Paid
Terms: 1 coin per race. Increase pay by 1 per race.
Stipulations: Must always finish AHEAD of Burger-Kuns racer, or contract terminated! Will require a uniform change (if we can fit one)
Length of Deal: Three races
Agree to fund them! Provided they'll invite me to that dinner.
+1 Fame
-1 Coin (4 left)

Milky makes the coin disappear like it was never there!

"How could we not invite our own cousin to dinner! Now when he's sooooo generous! We'll just have to wait til everyone gets here, though!"

Blue Hawaii Frost shows up a few days later, and he and Milky promptly paint the town Blue and Brown by performing a citizens arrest on Lanky Kong when they catch him trying to sneak into the next Donkey Kong game. A heroic action, to be sure.

Jack Frost feels his fame rising! His sponsor will probably like that.

Jack looks out the window and notices his entire extended family is forming a disorderly line outside of his garage. Most of the are cutting ahead when the other ones aren't looking, which means sooner or later it's just going to be a huge mob at the front, and all of them are going to want money!

He figures it's a good time to get on the cloud-bus to chocoland!

Jack Frost (Egan_BW)
Points- 0+7=7
Fame- 0+1+1=2
Coin- 4+2+1-2-1=4
Backstory: hee ho! I didn't read all the rules! hee, I'll just manage without...

Kart
Name: Hi-Ho Speedster

Module Installed: Dirty Weapons (Zorro's Rapier EX), Ramming Speed (Jack's Iced Coconut Morningstar), Removed Crank-Strictor Plate (Guilty Gear)
Module Hiccups: Featherweight (Zorro's Rapier EX), Signal interference (Jack's Iced Coconut Morningstar), Faulty Weapons (Guilty Gear)
!!Illegal Mods detected!!
Hacked: Zorros Rapier EX
Tweaked: Guilty Gear

Placement
Mushroom Cup/Luigis Waterway (Summer)/3rd Place

Sponsor: Racing for Burger-Kun
"If I act with resolve and believe in my actions, I know I'll be able to achieve anything."
Contract (Active)]Sign on Bonus: 1 Coins (Paid)
Terms: 1 coin per race
Win Bonus: 1 coins for 3rd, 2 coins for 2nd place win, 3 coins for a 1st place win
Stipulations: Must maintain current image bonus or contract may be cancelled. Publicity tours to adjust image mandatory! (Jacks current bonus is +0!) +1 Coin bonus to perfecting image rank, once per rank. 1 time 1 coin bonus to finish AHEAD of Team Flare Visions racer. Negotiations can only performed at the end of the every season. Free Burgers for Jack!

Length of Deal: Three races

Events:
-1 coin per race (4 more in total): Funding the Frost Five
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2021, 11:09:33 am »

”Well, the purple on my shell is a little weird, but you guys did good with the rest of me so I’ll put up with it.”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2021, 11:14:27 am »

Incoming rules changes!

MKL Version 1.2
The introduction of new hiccups from illegal modules has migrated over to the kart damage as well, as inspectors are keeping a closer eye on things...
As cheaters now outnumber honest racers, the remaining Karts seems to gain power to fight the rising darkness of Waluigi and the 'Villainous Four'. Possibly Villainous Three, we don't know if Cranky is really cheating yet or not.
Spoiler: Heroic Bonuses (click to show/hide)
Summers getting hotter...
Spoiler: Temperature Gauge (click to show/hide)

”Well, the purple on my shell is a little weird, but you guys did good with the rest of me so I’ll put up with it.”

"Thank the Princess!" The assistant says, fleeing the scene.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:17:10 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2021, 09:34:21 pm »

Dampé (chaotick21)
Points- 0
Fame- 0
Coin- 1

Kart
Name: The Gravedigger
Paint Job: Dark Gray and Brown

Module Installed: Loot Vacuum, Ramming Speed
Races: 0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:36:42 pm by chaotick21 »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2021, 03:42:46 am »

Welcome, chaotick! Feel free to jump into discord anytime.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:52:45 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"We've got new surprise racer, a literal last minute entry!"

"He's left the graveyard, and straight to the race...yard! It's Dampé!"

"MKL has a long history of hosting racers from Hyrule! We've had heroes like Zelda, Link and the Villains like Vaati and King Harkinian!"

"While Dampé may lack the 'star power' of those names, he's a reliable-if not well known-presence that has always aided the side of good. An honest Hylian, his knowledge of secrets, tools, and keys has always been a small, but vital, element of success."

"We should note, however! That's one sort of Dampe, and it's a big multiverse. We're not sure how this one will differ from the most common elements or how he got there. Maybe he used a secret passage to escape his dull job and joined MKL to escape his dull job? He wouldn't be the first..."

"It's a little known fact that Dampé isn't above a little competition on his 'time off'-he's got the racing spirit, and now he can show it off! We can probably guess he's on vacation, or you know, dead."

"He wouldn't be the first dead racer either! Let's wish him luck in any case, this next race is one heck of an introduction!"

Dampe origins are as of yet, a mystery, but he did carry some items from home...

Ramming Speed
Cold Start
Module: Hylian Shovel
Dampe would never be separated from his trusty shovel! Not a single spot of rust mars it's bronze finish. His principal tool also doubles as a weapon, of course-he's been whacking the shambling Stalfos for years. He hates having to bury people twice! That's why he made it so heavy! Dampe is strong enough to carry it, but the device seems to have an effect of drawing power from his Karts rocket starts due to the dead weight.

Loot Vacuum
Rough Aerodynamics
Module: Kart Hookshot
Dampe's was gifted the Hookshot by the royal family of Hyrule for safekeeping. Ordinarily, he's supposed to keep it until a True Hero arrives...still, you gotta take it out for a spin now and again, make sure it still works, right? He's had to make some adjustments of course...

It's still excellent for grabbing things from afar, as can be expected, though the chain isn't strong enough to pull him. It's also somewhat bulky-just fitting it on his kart has messed with his 'aerodynamic' frame...not that Dampe is usually that aerodynamic anyway.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mario Kart '21 Grand Prix 1.2.1
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2021, 09:55:00 am »

Incoming minor changes.

MKL Version 1.2.1
Due to intervention by a pesky young Kong, MKL is issuing clarifying rules...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]