Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants not moving and wagon "Missing"  (Read 1603 times)

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Merchants not moving and wagon "Missing"
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:09:39 pm »

I've had merchants sitting in my depot from winter into autumn and there is a wagon in my dead/missing screen. I think somehow a wagon got lost and now they are going to hang around forever causing a lot of lag. Is there any way to bring back the wagon or make them all leave without resorting to violence?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants not moving and wagon "Missing"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 07:23:07 pm »

Deconstructing the depot should get them to leave, but they'll also leave behind all the tat they arrived with - you may need to atom smash the resulting piles of armor and cheese. It doesn't become violent, but the next caravan may have slightly less value. Not really a big deal.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 08:09:16 pm »

I'm more looking for if I can bring back the missing wagon with DFHack

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 03:36:25 am »

The bug has already been reported, so you can ask in the DFHack threads for advice on this particular issue. I've got no clue on DFHack, unfortunately.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 06:20:31 am »

I'm more looking for if I can bring back the missing wagon with DFHack

You could (with "full-heal -r"), but it would immediately scuttle without pulling animals.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 10:50:52 am »

I don't know that you can fix that one wagon, but DFHack can make sure the rest of them leave safely, which will hopefully make them less mad at you than if they lost all the wagons. The commands you want are "caravan happy" and "caravan leave".

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 11:03:44 am »

In large forts I block wagon access to my depot so I don't have to deal with the cleanup when wagons start self-destructing.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 09:02:33 pm »

In large forts I block wagon access to my depot so I don't have to deal with the cleanup when wagons start self-destructing.
This is still the first few years which is a time when I like to import extreme amounts of leather as that's something relatively difficult to mass produce because I only seem to get one unit of leather per murdered animal

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 01:33:07 am »

Why block off the depot? Why not just deconstruct it and not have one at all?

I make a paved road from the depot to the four sides of the map. Doesn't have to be pretty, but it's usually made from rock blocks. Before I can make the paved road, I at least clear the path annually. Wagons, even ten years in, don't self destruct. I have found if I don't make a road or something similar, trees destroy the wagons, but they're the only reason wagons seem to have a problem when I play. I used to complain about wagons deconstructing, many versions ago, but it really hasn't happened to me for five or more years. Caravans are just too useful for disposing of rubbish in the fort, I don't want to prevent them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!