Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traction bench in jail?  (Read 2248 times)

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traction bench in jail?
« on: September 06, 2021, 07:35:06 am »

Just as decoration?

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traction bench in jail?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:43:50 am »

Could be a good idea, depending on how long a stretch the prisoner has been sentenced to.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 03:07:17 pm »

A well, a bed, a table, and a chair are a more functional set of decorations.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 03:30:53 pm »

if the prison is also designated as a hospital zone, then... it is possible, but rather unlikely, that a traction bench would see some use by the inmates.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 02:13:47 am »

Momuz & Ral's Prison Hospital - "We are skilled professionals and never drop the soap."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 07:21:45 am »

I get the feeling that a few people here have missed the point the OP was trying to make...

Could be a good idea, depending on how long a stretch the prisoner has been sentenced to.
I see what you did there.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 10:43:32 pm »

Any furniture can be a good decoration, even a traction bench. If traction benches make you happy to, all the better. If you do use tables, beds, and chairs for prisoners, assign them to the prisoner so other dwarfs will not wander over to use them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 05:09:24 am »

I've added the oaken traction bench with steel parts.
That should scare any prisoner.
Although they most likely will get good feelings from it:)
Dwarf society opposed to torture, they do not even see the darker applications of the thing.

Sometimes prisons need to be bad. I had a scholar stealing an artifact. Although confessed at interrogation, he did not relinquish the prize. He got jailed. Went insane from depression. Died. Artifact recovered.

Now I could have ordered my squads to kill the scholar. I did so on prior occasions. Which often resulted in a huge tantrum spiral. So no. No killing. At least not too direct.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 05:50:56 pm »

Now I could have ordered my squads to kill the scholar. I did so on prior occasions. Which often resulted in a huge tantrum spiral. So no. No killing. At least not too direct.

That's why in movies the cop tells his buddies to go for a walk before he gets rough with the prisoner. It's not for plausible deniability. It's to prevent tantrum spirals.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 06:30:27 am »

Add a screw press while you're at it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 06:08:49 pm »

Maybe a water wheel? Can sarcophaguses1 be "decorated" with spikes2?

1Yes spellcheck, that is how it is spelled - first, this is English not Latin - second, it's originally a Greek word
2Even though iron maidens are a modern invention
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 06:00:16 am »

A prisoner should always receive the opportunity for personal growth.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 06:15:28 am »

Spikes on a coffin.  Yes. I'll stud some with spikes. Steel ones for value. I can do some mechanisms with spikes for the press while I'm at it.

I like the idea of a waterwheel. But fps. Not sure. It could double as mist generator maybe.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 08:53:13 pm »

The wiki says "Although it's possible to build a stable water wheel on solid ground, it won't provide any power." I'd say it's possible such a wheel wouldn't hav any effect on fps.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.