Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why can't I go full screen?  (Read 957 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't I go full screen?
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:12:59 am »

I feel kind of dumb with this issue because it does seem to come up again and again.  I'm on Windows 10, my video card is an Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super, I'm using an LG TV as a monitor, and whenever I try to go to full screen, sometimes the screen even goes blank because the text is entirely out of the screen.

It seems to work windowed, but I don't like looking at the ugly crud that causes.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I go full screen?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:53:58 am »

I play DF maximized, but not full screen.  I found a long time ago that I had to edit init.txt to use the curses_800x600.png font in window mode in order for things to look nice.  Of course, nowadays, everything seems too small…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:25:42 am »

I'd check that the computer hasn't somehow decided that you use two screens, and thus ends up placing most of the display on the non existent one.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 01:53:18 pm »

"because the text is entirely out of the screen."

can you explain this quote further? I would run one monitor, like Patrik said, and then a freshly downloaded copy of DF as a testbed. As a side note, I have that exact graphics card and am also running win10. confirming my doubt that commonplace hardware would have such a blatant effect on a stable version

when using fullscreen, you can set zoom with your mousewheel. this can sometimes lead to imperceptible playing areas, or at least unexpectedly small.

alt+enter sets fullscreen. try hitting that a few times.

also, close other applications that might interfere. try adjusting resolution to 1920 x 1080 or smaller, if it is anything else.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 08:59:46 pm »

F10 resets the zoom, iirc.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 03:57:23 am »

I should note I misstated not being able to enter fullscreen mode, I can enter the mode, it just isn't displaying in a usable manner either in windowed or full screen.

The opening splash screen is normally sized, but when I pick any options, like generating a new world, after the message where you hit ESC at the end, the text completely disappears leaving the screen blank.  I can zoom in and out but it's still off center, like this.
https://imgur.com/a/ApxOWPh
That's as close to on center as it gets.

It's also somewhat the same in windowed mode, except instead of being stretched on the x and y axis, it's just excessively wide, about three times as wide as the monitor.

This is a generic, fresh Win10 install, and I've set resolution both in LNP and init.txt
Code: [Select]
[WINDOWEDX:80]
[WINDOWEDY:25]
[FONT:curses_640x300.png]

You may disable window resizing if you wish.
[RESIZABLE:YES]

Full screen info.  The 0s below mean that the game will choose a resolution for you, but you can set it yourself as well.

[FULLSCREENX:1920]
[FULLSCREENY:1080]
[FULLFONT:curses_640x300.png]

If this is set to NO, tiles will be stretched to fit the screen if there is a resolution mismatch.
If this is set to YES, the tiles will not be stretched, but rather the game view will be centralized, surrounded by black space.  Tiles that are too large will always be compressed rather than running off the screen.

[BLACK_SPACE:YES]
I've also tried turning BLACK_SPACE:YES to NO to no avail.

And I can change tilesets, and text modes, but none of them, even 2D with or without TrueType are a usable size.  While the visible area is different, it's still always unusable and never 1920x1080, which is what the display adapter's resolution is also set to.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 03:59:30 am by muldrake »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 05:14:05 am »

Maybe try changing the scaling setting from the last paragraph of this Windows section https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=DF2014:Installation#Windows
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 07:16:30 pm »

Maybe try changing the scaling setting from the last paragraph of this Windows section https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=DF2014:Installation#Windows
And that was the charm, thanks!  Possibly that should be more prominent, but I don't know how often it happens.