Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to press olives…  (Read 1078 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to press olives…
« on: September 06, 2021, 04:39:40 pm »

So…

I’ve got a screw press, and the stocks screen says I have 170 olives.  I want olive oil for soap production.  So I put in a manager order to press 5 fruit.  But then when I highlight the order, press ‘c’, and press ‘r’ to make it repetitive and add conditions from reagents, it says that I don’t have enough PRESS_LIQUID_MAT-producing leaves.  But the stocks screen said I had 170 olives.  What gives?!

If anyone called help, it would be much appreciated.

Edit:  fixed raw tag.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 05:47:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to press olives…
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 01:39:40 am »

I can't help you with the manager as I don't use it, but note that DF makes a division between "leaves" and "fruit". That's why there are two different orders for booze production (plus one for mead). The error message indicates DF believes you've ordered pressing of leaves, not fruit.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 03:04:11 am »

So fixing the raw tag fixed the problem?

I can't help you with the manager as I don't use it,

At the risk of derailing the entire conversation, I'm very curious what you use instead of the manager.

I used to use particular workshops for job orders (still do sometimes) but since the manager was invented, I've been finding I use the manager more and more. I do love being able to specify what things should be made out of and how they should be decorated, and the workshops don't let me specify that sort of thing.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 08:44:31 am »

I can't help you with the manager as I don't use it, but note that DF makes a division between "leaves" and "fruit". That's why there are two different orders for booze production (plus one for mead). The error message indicates DF believes you've ordered pressing of leaves, not fruit.
That is not the string-ification used by the manager.

In the OP case the reaction is [REACTION:PRESS_OIL_FRUIT], which is displayed in-game as a string "Press liquid from fruit".
The first reagent specified is an item of type PLANT_GROWTH (with several traits: unrotten, non-pressed, PRESS_LIQUID_MAT-producing); all plant growths are displayed in manager item conditions as a string "leaves".

(The two orders for booze production you mention are distinguished by reagents stringified as a "plants" item for old-style whole plants or a "leaves" item for new-style fruit-growths.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 12:40:25 pm »

Apologies for the derail: anyone interested in the OP should skip this.

Answer to Thisfox' question:
- Firstly, specifying details in workshops has been a thing for quite s few years now (at the latest it was introduced with Visitors, as that required the ability to specify "clothing" size, but it might be older still).
- I use workshop orders on repeat for most things, but I use a rather convoluted DFHack script for booze cooking/preferences ingredients cooking. To some extent I use (soon to be removed) workshop allocation lists to make "clothing" so I don't have to specify size (humies to one clothier's shop, dorfs to the other [any gobbo and elven clothiers would end up here as well, should there have been any petitioners from those races]). In the few cases where I've set up "recreational" craft shops I've allocated the therapy subjects to those for the duration of the sessions.
-I've found that for anything that's sufficiently complex that you'd want to use a Manager to deal with it the Manager fails to provide the required detailed control. Things it can't do in a reasonable manner: Brew booze until there's a sufficient stock of that particular kind (you can brew booze until general conditions are met, but not ones tied to the product: I think you can set up 70 orders to control each kind of booze individually, but it might even fail at that. You can't even have the Manager shear animals, as it spews cancellation spam all the time (manually setting it up once annually results in one spam report each year). The Manager doesn't respect workshop uses (show when auto collect webs is used, where the orders are placed in all looms, rather than the one close to the webs), and can't count (use auto loom, and you get cancellation spam when you have multiple looms, as the Manager places one job in each loom for every single thread produced, unless there's a job there already). The Manager also spreads all different qualification jobs over all workshops of the same type, so if the bone crafter goes on a prayer bender all craftdwarf shops soon stall because the top job in all of them is bone crafting ones.
Also, I try to run my fortresses on a seasonal cycle, so different kinds of jobs are done during different seasons, with winter being reserved for R&R, which means all jobs are suspended in the workshops, to be unsuspended when spring comes along. This goes hand in hand with the handling of the broken military training schedule, where I manually set squads to off duty and removes them from their barracks (to get them to perform R&R rather than individual training), and then reverse the process when it's time to go on duty (and I mostly have military training as a month long session during the R&R winter season, rotating 3 groups of squads, unless I'm preparing throwaway invasion squads (since you typically can reclaim only about 1 militia member from each squad sent on conquest).
I've probably missed a number of additional reasons I don't use the Manager in this rant...

I believe someone did point out a case where the Manager could actually be useful, but I've forgotten what it was (as it was too long before I picked up DF to actually play it again).

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 02:28:24 pm »

I have two brewing orders both with a quantity of five.  One for plants and one for fruit.  Both are set to restart daily so long as there are at least ten empty barrels, there are at least ten brewable plants/leaves, and the total number of drinks in stock is less than one and a half times five times the forts total population.  I just need to recalculate and update this number every time there’s a migration wave.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 04:41:27 am »

I can't comment on the manager as I don't use it.  But are we sure the OP issue is with the manager?  Does an order placed directly at the press succeed?

I've pressed olives to oil successfully in 47.05.  Usual things to check are links and spare jugs.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 07:29:28 am »

Ok.  Looks like it’s fixed.  I saved and reloaded the fort and they started pressing.

Now to figure out why they won’t make soap…

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 04:17:50 am »

Ok.  Looks like it’s fixed.  I saved and reloaded the fort and they started pressing.

Now to figure out why they won’t make soap…
You need lye and a soap maker's workshop.