Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad armor  (Read 742 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squad armor
« on: September 07, 2021, 12:36:15 am »

I created a squad and decked them out with copper weapons, shields, and armor.  However, when I go into DT, it says that they’re missing part of there armor.  I changed their armor to replace clothing, but they don’t seem to be shedding their clothes and putting their armor on.  All they seem to be doing is training.  Can anyone help me?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Squad armor
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 01:21:10 am »

I find they won't get a scrap of armour unless they have been individually assigned specific armour. Even then, I have to have a method.

First I assign armour individually to specific members of the squad, and weapons the same way. I have the armour and weapons stockpiled binless in a large room, and then order the squad into the room. When they're all in, I lock the door and let them free for a few minutes, then order them from one end of the room to the other for a bit. Then release them, wait a bit, and eventually unlock the door. Later I do the same thing again. It's amazing how many of them finally get the hint and put on the armour assigned to them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 01:49:32 am »

The militia system is frustrating (and is supposed to be improved before/in the Premium release). I suspect they won't look for their equipment until they're changing their activities. Like Thisfox, I've seen the morons shed their armor when reaching a station location (in the caverns...) and then sneak off to get one replacement piece when ordered to go to the next location and then return to the squad after picking up that single piece, and they'd probably get fully equipped eventually if I had had the patience of ordering the squad around for a sufficient number of months.
I'd try to remove the squad from the barracks to get the buggers to stop training, which ought to result in a number of piles of clothing on the floor and dorfs filing away to pick up one armor piece. If they're on duty they shouldn't have anything better to do than to pick up the rest of the pieces, but if they're off duty they'll probably take up civilian jobs (including hauling) while occasionally picking up additional uniform pieces. They'll also haul off their civilian clothes one slow piece at a time over the next several months.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:29:04 am »

Did you assign the dwarves to the squad using the DF interface, or did you use DT?
I've run into similar issues in the past but I was using DT to put dwarves in squads so I'm not sure if that was to blame.