Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Simpliest Solution To Not Being Able To Find Cave Entrance  (Read 2897 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile

When you are looking for lair entrance the compass just directly shows you the direction where to go to find it.

I understand that Toady wanted finding cave entrances to be harder which is evidenced by that the game tells you about finding the entrance. However after that the game does not change cave's compass location to it's outside door.

Either a new compass location should be added in case of the entrance upon receiving discovery announcement or the location of the cave on compass should totally update to that entrance.

Alternatively if this solution proves itself to be buggy than cave entrance tiles could have alternate colours for better characteristics or feature doors/hatches.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:23:51 pm by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Simpliest Solution To Not Being Able To Find Cave Entrance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:34 am »

Huh, I thought the compass always pointed toward the entrance...did kobold caves change this? I'm going to check this out myself.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 11:29:40 am »

OK, yeah kobold caves did change this.

Before 0.44 (Artifact upd), a cave site was 1 embark tile large, like lairs still are. (1 embark tile = 48x48 tiles)

The compass always points towards the central embark tile of the site, aka smack dab in the middle. Since pre-0.44 caves were only 1 embark tile large, this naturally meant the entrance spawned at the middle of the site. So the compass always pointed towards the entrance.

But the improved kobold sites (introduced in 0.44) expanded the cave site area to 3x3 embark tiles. The cave entrances remained 1 embark tile large, and they could generate in any of the 9 embark tiles. In other words, cave entrances do not always spawn at the center of the site anymore. Because of this, the compass no longer points towards the entrance every time, like it used to. It sometimes does, when the entrance spawns at the center embark tile. But most of the time, it doesn't.

When the compass indicates that you're at the center of the cave site (***), stepping a short distance away then encircling around the center should yield the cave entrance. It takes a while to familiarize, though. I got lost on my first try.

One solution could be generating the cave entrance at the center of the site 100% of the time. Or (as you mentioned) the compass could be made smarter, so that it knows which of the 9 embark tiles the entrance is at.

There's also an old bug (0001867) that prevents cave entrances from generating if there's a stream/river blocking it. So if you can't find an entrance at all, and there's a waterway passing through the site, it's probably this. This bug is unrelated to the change mentioned above.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:50:33 am by Doorkeeper »

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 01:58:31 am »

OK, yeah kobold caves did change this.

Before 0.44 (Artifact upd), a cave site was 1 embark tile large, like lairs still are. (1 embark tile = 48x48 tiles)

The compass always points towards the central embark tile of the site, aka smack dab in the middle. Since pre-0.44 caves were only 1 embark tile large, this naturally meant the entrance spawned at the middle of the site. So the compass always pointed towards the entrance.

But the improved kobold sites (introduced in 0.44) expanded the cave site area to 3x3 embark tiles. The cave entrances remained 1 embark tile large, and they could generate in any of the 9 embark tiles. In other words, cave entrances do not always spawn at the center of the site anymore. Because of this, the compass no longer points towards the entrance every time, like it used to. It sometimes does, when the entrance spawns at the center embark tile. But most of the time, it doesn't.

When the compass indicates that you're at the center of the cave site (***), stepping a short distance away then encircling around the center should yield the cave entrance. It takes a while to familiarize, though. I got lost on my first try.

One solution could be generating the cave entrance at the center of the site 100% of the time. Or (as you mentioned) the compass could be made smarter, so that it knows which of the 9 embark tiles the entrance is at.

There's also an old bug (0001867) that prevents cave entrances from generating if there's a stream/river blocking it. So if you can't find an entrance at all, and there's a waterway passing through the site, it's probably this. This bug is unrelated to the change mentioned above.

There is no river or water. Maybe a stagnant water?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »

You're right. I didn't know murky pools prevented cave entrance generation too, but after testing it just now... apparently they do. I generated a custom world tweaked for more wetlands (higher chance of stagnant pools) and more caves. Used a DFHack command to quick-hop between sites. And lo, found a cave site that didn't have an entrance. And there were no streams nearby, just pools. It doesn't seem to occur commonly (in other sites, not all embark tiles contained stagnant water, even if they were on a wetland), but it can happen. So, correction: any body of water affects it.

On an unrelated note: when the game tells you about finding the entrance ("You have discovered a cave entrance"), it means that you are directly adjacent to an embark tile with a cave entrance. So getting that announcement means the entrance is guaranteed to exist. If the cave entrance didn't spawn (due to water blocking it), an announcement shouldn't ever appear.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 05:45:18 pm »

I went to fort mode and embarked on top of a cave site w/ no entrance, then exported some local images of the surface. I also took a screenshot of the embark map screen. On DFHack 0.47.05-r3. Thought some pics would be useful.

To just reiterate: 1 local tile = 1 embark tile = 48x48 tiles

Spoiler: Sutsudme, "Bonemurk" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: z50 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: z51 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: z52 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World param (click to show/hide)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 10:21:02 am »

You're right. I didn't know murky pools prevented cave entrance generation too, but after testing it just now... apparently they do. I generated a custom world tweaked for more wetlands (higher chance of stagnant pools) and more caves. Used a DFHack command to quick-hop between sites. And lo, found a cave site that didn't have an entrance. And there were no streams nearby, just pools. It doesn't seem to occur commonly (in other sites, not all embark tiles contained stagnant water, even if they were on a wetland), but it can happen. So, correction: any body of water affects it.

On an unrelated note: when the game tells you about finding the entrance ("You have discovered a cave entrance"), it means that you are directly adjacent to an embark tile with a cave entrance. So getting that announcement means the entrance is guaranteed to exist. If the cave entrance didn't spawn (due to water blocking it), an announcement shouldn't ever appear.

I actually did some testing with savescumming and decided to discover same entrance twice. At night the range of entrance detection was lower so line of sight affects entrance discovery announcement.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 12:21:23 pm »

Glad that you found the entrance. Know that some creatures have better night vision (LOW_LIGHT_VISION in the raws). Dwarves have the highest LOW_LIGHT_VISION, and they can see in the dark just as good as in daytime. In complete darkness, goblins can see 8 tiles far. Humans and elves have no LOW_LIGHT_VISION and can only see 4 tiles far. You should factor into that when playing adv mode. But yeah cave entrance searching is a pain right now.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 04:32:33 pm »

I made a new world and embarked on top of another cave site. Same version as before. (I'm making this post so everyone can understand, not just Rico.) I should mention that this world (and the world from my previous screenshots) were made using advanced world gen and have Make Caves Visible set to yes, which is why the caves are visible on the screen; in normal gen, they would be invisible (you can still embark on it if you knew its location beforehand, or if you're lucky).

Spoiler: Embark screen (click to show/hide)

Below is the screenshot of the surface. This one has an entrance. I drew the borders between local/embark tiles with yellow lines. (Used DFHack to reveal the whole map)

Spoiler: Surface (click to show/hide)

In this site, the entrance generated in the mid-bottom embark/local tile. At first glance, it seems like a lot of area, but it isn't. Your char's daytime vision range is bigger than one of those yellow squares. As said before, stepping a short distance away from the centre, then encircling it is a good strategy. Another strat I didn't mention before is using the trac[K]ing feature; creatures will sometimes leave a trail behind when they walk to and from the entrance. That said, this is also a flat open area. Searching in heavily vegetated, hilly terrain at night will undoubtedly be harder.

If this was in adv mode, the compass direction would change based on the square you're on. Reminder: the compass points towards the centre of the site. If you're on the centre square, the compass would read ***. On the top-left square, SE, top-middle square S, top-right SW, centre-left E, etc.

The colour of the direction symbols change when you travel. It can turn gray, white, brown, dark green, and light green. Don't know what they mean though.

So to reiterate what is wanted based on previous discussion:
  • Bug 0001867 needs to be fixed (+stagnant pools).
  • One or more of the following suggested changes:
  • The original: upon discovery (i.e. announcement) of the entrance, a new compass direction, pointing towards the entrance itself, should appear. The implication is that it would make searching the entrance easier once you have "discovered" it, but until then, players still have to do a little manual searching around the site (aka walking in a big circle).
  • Same as above, but instead, the compass that's pointing towards the centre of the cave site should just update to point towards the entrance.
  • A wider area surrounding the entrance should be altered. Surface features can be replaced with something more indicative of a cave (e.g. rocky floor tiles replacing soil).
  • My suggestion is that the entrance should always generate on the centre so that its placement aligns where the compass points towards. Players can just follow the compass that way.

Remember that before 0.44, cave sites were only 1x1 local tile-sized. While the site itself is hidden on the world and fast travel maps (w/ default params), once you discovered the site, finding the entrance was easy peasy. But now that site borders have been expanded, and since entrance placements are random, they're harder to find now. The fact that you can't fast travel through the site (which is probably intended, and not the issue here) and the fact that caves don't have visible markers on the fast travel map when you're close by (which is strange since there is a marker on the local map; see bottom of post) exacerbate the difficulty of the search.

Searching for the cave on the world map and having to ask for directions is the original challenge; searching for the entrance once you found the site was not and should not be the challenge. To put it another way, a huge rock mound jutting out of the surface should not be difficult to find once you're well near it.

I prefer the "new compass direction pointing towards the entrance" suggestion, although I think it should appear as soon as you enter the site limits, for reasons stated above. I recall that in adv mode, you can ask an NPC for the location of a specific person. Normally they would just tell you the site the person's in (if they knew), but if you ask someone while in the site, they used to tell you the structure the person inhabits and directions to said structure: "We are in <site name>. Search first in <structure (e.g. house, hillock)> to the <direction>". The latter feature seems to be broken in current versions, but the point is that the game already keeps track of the direction of certain small structures in relation to the player (or it used to).

Some may be wondering why cave sites need all this space, when entrances only take one local tile. This is 1 z-level below the surface:

Spoiler: Below surface (click to show/hide)

This kobold cave didn't have an egg room for some reason (top-left is the corpse pit).

Last thing I want to bring up: on the local map (when it appears in the fast travel and quest log screens), the cave marker/symbol "" is always on the top-left corner for all cave sites for some reason (another possible bug). This is same site as above, so if this symbol is supposed to represent the entrance, it should be on the mid-bottom of the highlighted box in the screenshot below. The highlighted box is the cave site. The symbol doesn't even appear at all in the zoomed-in fast travel map.

Spoiler: Fast travel screen (click to show/hide)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 04:33:31 am »

I made a new world and embarked on top of another cave site. Same version as before. (I'm making this post so everyone can understand, not just Rico.) I should mention that this world (and the world from my previous screenshots) were made using advanced world gen and have Make Caves Visible set to yes, which is why the caves are visible on the screen; in normal gen, they would be invisible (you can still embark on it if you knew its location beforehand, or if you're lucky).

Spoiler: Embark screen (click to show/hide)

Below is the screenshot of the surface. This one has an entrance. I drew the borders between local/embark tiles with yellow lines. (Used DFHack to reveal the whole map)

Spoiler: Surface (click to show/hide)

In this site, the entrance generated in the mid-bottom embark/local tile. At first glance, it seems like a lot of area, but it isn't. Your char's daytime vision range is bigger than one of those yellow squares. As said before, stepping a short distance away from the centre, then encircling it is a good strategy. Another strat I didn't mention before is using the trac[K]ing feature; creatures will sometimes leave a trail behind when they walk to and from the entrance. That said, this is also a flat open area. Searching in heavily vegetated, hilly terrain at night will undoubtedly be harder.

If this was in adv mode, the compass direction would change based on the square you're on. Reminder: the compass points towards the centre of the site. If you're on the centre square, the compass would read ***. On the top-left square, SE, top-middle square S, top-right SW, centre-left E, etc.

The colour of the direction symbols change when you travel. It can turn gray, white, brown, dark green, and light green. Don't know what they mean though.

So to reiterate what is wanted based on previous discussion:
  • Bug 0001867 needs to be fixed (+stagnant pools).
  • One or more of the following suggested changes:
  • The original: upon discovery (i.e. announcement) of the entrance, a new compass direction, pointing towards the entrance itself, should appear. The implication is that it would make searching the entrance easier once you have "discovered" it, but until then, players still have to do a little manual searching around the site (aka walking in a big circle).
  • Same as above, but instead, the compass that's pointing towards the centre of the cave site should just update to point towards the entrance.
  • A wider area surrounding the entrance should be altered. Surface features can be replaced with something more indicative of a cave (e.g. rocky floor tiles replacing soil).
  • My suggestion is that the entrance should always generate on the centre so that its placement aligns where the compass points towards. Players can just follow the compass that way.

Remember that before 0.44, cave sites were only 1x1 local tile-sized. While the site itself is hidden on the world and fast travel maps (w/ default params), once you discovered the site, finding the entrance was easy peasy. But now that site borders have been expanded, and since entrance placements are random, they're harder to find now. The fact that you can't fast travel through the site (which is probably intended, and not the issue here) and the fact that caves don't have visible markers on the fast travel map when you're close by (which is strange since there is a marker on the local map; see bottom of post) exacerbate the difficulty of the search.

Searching for the cave on the world map and having to ask for directions is the original challenge; searching for the entrance once you found the site was not and should not be the challenge. To put it another way, a huge rock mound jutting out of the surface should not be difficult to find once you're well near it.

I prefer the "new compass direction pointing towards the entrance" suggestion, although I think it should appear as soon as you enter the site limits, for reasons stated above. I recall that in adv mode, you can ask an NPC for the location of a specific person. Normally they would just tell you the site the person's in (if they knew), but if you ask someone while in the site, they used to tell you the structure the person inhabits and directions to said structure: "We are in <site name>. Search first in <structure (e.g. house, hillock)> to the <direction>". The latter feature seems to be broken in current versions, but the point is that the game already keeps track of the direction of certain small structures in relation to the player (or it used to).

Some may be wondering why cave sites need all this space, when entrances only take one local tile. This is 1 z-level below the surface:

Spoiler: Below surface (click to show/hide)

This kobold cave didn't have an egg room for some reason (top-left is the corpse pit).

Last thing I want to bring up: on the local map (when it appears in the fast travel and quest log screens), the cave marker/symbol "" is always on the top-left corner for all cave sites for some reason (another possible bug). This is same site as above, so if this symbol is supposed to represent the entrance, it should be on the mid-bottom of the highlighted box in the screenshot below. The highlighted box is the cave site. The symbol doesn't even appear at all in the zoomed-in fast travel map.

Spoiler: Fast travel screen (click to show/hide)

That is some semi-outstanding research. Would Toady use those informations while rewriting random level generators?

And yeah, I played as a human.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 11:32:14 pm »

Distance
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?