Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lever workshop job: Pull lever  (Read 864 times)

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lever workshop job: Pull lever
« on: September 08, 2021, 08:10:05 am »

I wanted to add a conditional job for level pulling.
Unlike normal workshops, there are no entries for a lever in its workshop order queue.
Maybe I messed something up? Or is it impossible to add "Pull lever" to a lever's work shop orders, so it can be executed conditionally?

I wanted to disable a track stop with a lever, once a certain number of items was reached. Obviously another lever pull conditional when items low again, linked to the first job. If this is currently impossible, would it be hard to change the raws so a lever works like a normal workshop in this regard?

Any other ways I could do something similar?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Lever workshop job: Pull lever
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:44:59 am »

The job manager works differently: Every time a job is finished, the condition is checked again and if met, the same job is placed again immediately.

I know of no way to achieve what you desire, but perhaps it is possible with more complicated arrangements.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 11:16:53 am »

An order to pull a lever is a manual order, placed on the lever as it needs to be pulled, with no conditions. You can achieve some functionality using route stop departure conditions to trigger mine cart logic, but then you're obviously not using a lever.

I doubt the manager has any functionality to order the pulling of levers.

It should be possible to write DFHack scripts to enter lever pull orders into levers, though, although you'd need a way for the script to identify which lever to activate (e.g. by naming them), which makes any such script dependent on your particular fortress (or that you use exactly the same naming for every fortress).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 05:11:39 pm »

I wonder if you could combine minecart logic with the manager to monitor item quantities, triggering a door / anvil or whatever to be produced instead of pulling a lever?  Then have a stockpile to take from that workshop and feed a minecart set to be pushed all the time, that then triggers a pressure plate of the right threshold for minecart + load to disable the trackstop.

The specific details of your situation would be helpful, as I'm assuming you are trying to automatically toggle dwarven water reactors on and off to power the pumpstacks for your obsidian casting operation (which you may or may not have).  But the general concept seems sound in my mind at least.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 05:16:56 pm »

I wonder if you could combine minecart logic with the manager to monitor item quantities, triggering a door / anvil or whatever to be produced instead of pulling a lever?  Then have a stockpile to take from that workshop and feed a minecart set to be pushed all the time, that then triggers a pressure plate of the right threshold for minecart + load to disable the trackstop.

I am eternally impressed at the rube goldberg machines of Dwarf Fortress.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!