Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod troubleshoot  (Read 725 times)

dewy60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod troubleshoot
« on: September 10, 2021, 08:51:02 am »

Hi there, I'm dealing with problems involving my own mod pack merging and I would like to get some troubleshooting. Currently, the game crashes on the calendar screen every time I tried to start playing a new region in DF mode, only one savefile worked. https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15655

dewy60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 09:01:12 am »

Any problems spotted yet?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Mod troubleshoot
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:20 am »

Using DF Diagnosipack I found the following issues:

One of the creatures, TB_DND_FIRE_ELEMENTAL_PET in creature_tb_dnd_elemental.txt, has a typo: APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION is used instead of APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION. I don't think this affects you much, but I don't know which mod "tb_dnd" stands for and I would like to notice the creator, so please tell me if you're able.

I found three duplicated entries: CREATURE:SHARK_TROLL, CREATURE:STEELHEAD_SHOE_CRAWLER, and CREATURE:SABER_SHAMAN, all having one instance in creature_travesties_vol2_zm5.txt and one in creature_travesties_zm5.txt.

Also loads of creatures, items and reactions that share the same name. Some of these are probably intentional, like copies of reaction for adventurer-mode use, or creatures that have a same-name tame variant, but I believe some of them are not, probably ZM5 objects that exist under different IDs from different mods of his. Name-sharing is not an issue per se, but it could lead to confusion (e.g. "Why can't these creatures breed?!") so it's still worth having a look at.

Considering the mess raw duplication is, they could be the source of your woes.

It could also be the work of a faulty entity in any one of the mods, as opposed to a merging conflict. I've heard there are game-breaking bugs when you use some tokens in conjunction - I think it was variable positions and dark fortress sites, but don't quote me on that. The fact that the smaller world was stable supports this hypothesis, as the small world might not have spawned the faulty entity. If removing the duplicated raws doesn't solve anything, look through the threads from where you downloaded the mods and make sure no-one reported the mod as broken already - it's easy to miss when downloading a lot.