Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stories of the Fort Warmlance  (Read 1160 times)

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stories of the Fort Warmlance
« on: February 13, 2022, 05:50:43 am »

Hello everyone! A few weeks ago, when I had no internet, I felt like making a fort and kinda breaking the mold of what I usually do (namely, using the best embark places), so I made it in a frozen wasteland with an aquifer. I also told myself to find some time to check more of the lore ingame, making a "logbook" of some sorts, detailing the happenings in the entire world. It was mainly for forcing me to get more into the world instead of just commanding my dwarves, but here I am and why not share it with everyone.

Inside, you will find stories of "accidental troglodyte pennings" and their ice skating ring, how gluttony nearly becomes the downfall of a rather established culture that prays to rather questionable gods and more.

If you have any ideas for it, shoot ahead. I'd love to get tips!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of the Fort Warmlance
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 05:49:06 pm »

This was cool, and honestly quite the tome.

It was mainly for forcing me to get more into the world instead of just commanding my dwarves, but here I am and why not share it with everyone.

once you understand how to meld narrative and gameplay, the true nature of DF is revealed.

I enjoyed the various diagrams of kinship and production found within, for example page 81 and 83. What program did you use to make these up?

I think you also convinced me, finally, of the worth of compiling these sorts stories in .pdf. perhaps old-school forum threads are truly archaic as the young ones tell me...

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of the Fort Warmlance
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:34:37 am »

I enjoyed the various diagrams of kinship and production found within, for example page 81 and 83. What program did you use to make these up?

It was Paint.Net, one of my favorite drawing programs. For the symbols, you can just use masculine and feminine sign, some typesets end up in more emoji looking symbols. The production diagram took me quite some time, I kinda wanted to captivate that feeling of Asen going insane. Once you know how to handle layers, doors are pretty much open for anything. Also: I really wish there were other ways to use seeds that can't be cooked etc.

I think you also convinced me, finally, of the worth of compiling these sorts stories in .pdf. perhaps old-school forum threads are truly archaic as the young ones tell me...

I would have put it in forum post format if I had internet, as I believe most people find it easier to read a long thread post by post. I took a small break from continuing the story, but I'll be back to Warmlance soon. After all, we have to tell the story of one of the longest running dwarf lineages in the fort!