Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: The Tales of Runlance - Year 1511 - OVERSEERS NEEDED! APPLY INSIDE!  (Read 26410 times)

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

Spring completed. My plan is to make a magma pumpstack that can fill some magma cistern for us to do magma crafting over and also to fill that big water trap with and turn it into a magma trap. It'll be really tight, but I might be able to do it in a single year if I basically ignore everything else...

Glass. I love glass. We need more glass. I went to the commons and spoke of the wonders of glass. Everyone was so downtrodden and sad they listened to my speeches of the joys of glass and decided that I should simply be in charge.
Good. We will have more glass. Glass and magma. The magma whispers to me.

We have many cage traps at the entrance, more than one for each goblin. We should let them in and capture them. An offering to the magma. No! Don't go out there and fight. Fools!

They won, and the rest of the goblins are retreating. Victory!

We need a tunnel, lots of pumps. Dig it! And glass, so much glass.

Dig out the warm rock. We need magma. Adamintine? Good for someone else. I only care about magma and Glass.

Pumps... many pumps. Some will make mistakes and burn as punishment. Let the magma judge them.

Farmers? That's not magma. That's not glass. No.

Someone fell into a mood? Oh well. Give them a mason workshop.

Summer is here, they still sit at that workshop asking for cloth. Maybe animal cloth. We don't have any.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

The pumpstack is delayed because one of the dwarves died in the most inconvenient possible spot at the bottom of the whole thing and now his clothes are in the way.

And now there's the summer siege. Drat. The skyway still isn't fully closed off. I'm going to hope they all get killed by traps by the entrance...

I've setup half of the army at the skyway entrance an the other half at the main entrance. A few dwarves decide to peek the door, go out, and die. Heroes. They are all heroes. Many goblins are now captured in cage traps. It looks like the rest are retreating, but some of their archer are taking potshots at one of our Yaks which leaves a trail of blood in its wake.

image entrance_prisoners

We're down to only forty-five comrades.
The dwarf who was at that mason's workshop asking for something we didn't have just went berzerk, make that forty-four.
I've decided to build some coffins in the skybridge after finally sealing it off. May it exist as a memorial to incompetence.

image memorial

Going to start a sideproject to my magmapumpstakc megaproject, an archery range where we can shoot at goblin prisoners.

image rang0

The reactor is full! I'm going to try filling the water flooding trap again from the river now that I can close off the reactor. Seeing how pulling the old "fill the well" lever would flood much of the fort with water I also opted to make plu_out_4 connect to the well for a more convenient and less catastrohpic refilling.
Note for future users of the pumbling system, please reserve at least one plu_out for an extension that can have more outlets

image plu thing

Autumn is here. We're halfway done making all of the screws but didn't start until the end of spring. The first third of the pumpstack is laid out. If we do manage to finish it in time it will be very close.

image autumn end

Oh boy, the yearly caravan. Let's see what they have, hopefully something more useful than these crafts.... where did they go?
(ooc: I tried zooming onto a merchant animal and it took me to a black screen. I think that something's buggy with the map and wandering it incorrectly sends you to the shadow realm)
While they disappared one of the dwarves grabbed a gem and carved it all funny.
Strange...

As part of memorializsing the skybridge I have decided to make a more direct path from the old farming and food storage area to the fortess proper. Work also begins on a magma plumbing system similar in design to the water one.

A few crundles get into our fortress... somehow. I don't know and I don't care how. I only care about glass and magma. That can be someone else's problem.

Good news and bad news. Word of this fortress has spread.

Oh fuck, oh no. Another forgotton beast we're doo- Oh. It's just in the cave with the other one and they're fighting... and the new one is dead.
Alrighty then.

Winter is here and progress is moving along smoothly. I'm sure nothing wi-FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Everyone inside. Let's hope the cage traps work... on second thought we should seal ourselves off. That is way too many undead.

A crundle just decapitated a forgotten beast

There was an opening in a roof and a few dwarves died because of it. Someone should move our food stockpiles, but it's not going to be me.

We are finally constructing the beautiful gabbro and glass pumps. Soon they will be filled with magma. Soon the magma will purify those unwelcome undead visitors. Someone went into a mood and claimed a carpenter workshop. This could be a problem seeing how right now we have no wood and there are dozens of undead outside our fortress. The life of this dwarf depends on my magma pumpstack. Work continues until spring, at which time work will continue to continue.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:22:12 pm by Metruption »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

If no one grabs the next spot, go for two
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

going to  finish first year and probably start second in an hour or so after i eat something

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

My first year is done and I'm claiming a second year

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: The Incompetence of Runlance - Year 1505 - OVERSEERS NEEDED!! APPLY INSIDE!!
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2021, 03:06:35 pm »

Don't know why I'm putting this off. Will probably do my year in a wee hours of tomorrow and will certainly have magma plu constructed and we'll see how full that giant reservoir for a flooding trap can get. It will be good to be the one who gives this fort the gift of pull this lever to burn everything.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: The Incompetence of Runlance - Year 1505 - OVERSEERS NEEDED!! APPLY INSIDE!!
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2021, 05:03:48 am »

I streamed 3 hours of the fort and spent a lot of time giggling at magma but accidentally booped off my power strip plugging in my phone charger. Need to troubleshoot a bad SATA cable

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2021, 05:40:42 am »

Computer won't boot. Bad sata cable probably borked my hard drive. chances are nothing I'm gonna miss is destroyed .

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2021, 08:44:51 am »

Ouch, that is pretty demoralizing.  Hopefully you can get your computer back in action.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2021, 11:39:43 am »

Come Saturday the undead will be anointed in magma

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2021, 05:06:03 am »

I recovered the save and can finish today. Still need to finish making sure everything else is good but I'll leave the honor of pulling the epic magma lever of doom to whoever takes the next turn.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2021, 02:03:48 pm »

It's the seventh year of this fortress, and what a grueling one it will be. The undead still lurk just outside our walled hill, but in here we are safe.

image undead outside

A comrade who was in a mood is going berzerk. We won't even be able to send him to the gulag. He killed one and mained another.

A swamp titan came. I don't know why but now there's two reasons for us to not go outside. Maybe they will fix each other.

After a few days of fighting the undead horde managed to take it down, but not without covering the entrance area around the gulag with webs.

The magma plumbing system was all hooked up. In the process of testing every lever I realized the drain bridge never closes. Fixing that.

It's all working now, completely dry and waiting for the glorious magma...
Summer is here and the magma stack is nearing completion. Only a few more pumps and then we can start filling up the magma plumbing... yes. Yes! My greatest work is complete. Now to see if it works...

It works! Time to fill up our magma plumbing.
Wait! The access bridge to the magma plumbing system is made of granite... that would melt and flood the fortress with magma.
NO! Fix it!
A forgotten beast came into a web strewn cavern. We're sealed off and that's not our problem.

We need wood to connect the pumps which will fill the great magma vault we shall use to destroy the hordes of undead which besiege our fortress. It's time to briefly open one of the caverns and obtain some precious wood.
image axel neede

We're peacefully chopping away... this feels too easy.

The magma plumbing is hot and full of that glorius magma!

It's now fall. Time to fill the great cistern.

image fill1

There's an elk bird in there... for now.

While that fills I'm going to expand the power plant. Our current power load is at nearly half capacity.

There was a caged dwarf and I decided to let them out so that they could contribute to our wonderful soci- FUCK IT'S UNDEAD!

Now it's just dead.

Strange... I feel a time distortion. It's winter and there's some dwarves that are dead that weren't and we still have that undead dwarf caged. The plans are all proceeding on schedule aside from the archery range. Now that we have armored goblin prisoners to use as targets some bone bolts wouldn't be terrible as range ammo.
The magma lance is filling up nicely.

Soon when the weapon is fully primed the undead will be baptized in the wonderfu- WHAT? They just left? I guess we can just save it for later... And open the front door so we can get wood!

Some dwarf grabbed some stuff and is going crazy with them just as some migrants arrived for indoctrination. I explained to them the beauty of magma and they have joined my cult.

Many of the dead invaders outside were well equipped. Our militia are taking what scraps are left and equipping themselves far better than we could equip them.

That dwarf who took over a mason workshop is shouting about needing bones. There's bones but that dwarf doesn't want them. Too bad. Went insane.
Spring here and I can feel a new age upon us...

Also, there's a new lever.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2021, 02:08:46 pm »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15737
Someone please check the save and make sure it's good

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2021, 06:10:14 am »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15737
Someone please check the save and make sure it's good

The save is good.
Someone take a turn!

p.s. My dorf is the Cult Leader and there's ten or so Magma Cultists. If you want your dwarf to join the cult post ITT to aid us in this war of shadows!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15