Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: The Tales of Runlance - Year 1511 - OVERSEERS NEEDED! APPLY INSIDE!  (Read 26322 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 10:36:36 am »

Journal of Alath "Ryu" Armorsensed, Expedition Leader and Overseer
1st of Granite, 1501

Well, we've made it, one whole year. Winter wasn't anything terrible, it was actually pretty mild all things considered. I ordered the miners (which includes myself incidentally) to begin mining out the gold veins in the walls on the lower levels, taking care to avoid the Aquifer. Gold is nice and all, but I'm hoping to find some sweet sweet Hematite while mining the gold out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess there was a bad batch of booze or something, because three dorfs all adopted different names and personalities seemingly overnight

Spoiler: Blueturtle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "King" Zultan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Delphonso (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: List of Dwarves (click to show/hide)

I'm slightly worried about "King" Zultan, I was so sure they were a woman before...

Not sure if I mentioned it yet, but I dug out a well and aqueduct that connects the river. the well is 5x5 and 5 deep, so it shouldn't need refilling often. There's a Lever that controls the floodgate to the River. I highly recommend to anyone who operates it, to not leave it open, it'll flood everything from the Well down...

Spoiler: Well Room and Aqueduct (click to show/hide)

Towards the end of Winter, I ordered a large rom dug out in the mines, my thought being a Grand Storage Room or something, idk. That's up to the next guy.

"Next guy?" you ask? Well the lads all got together and told me I was being a pompous ass and proceeded to cast a vote. It seems Jack won and I'm out now I get to keep my titles and rooms, or so I think.. anyways, Zultan wanted to meet with me later today, so I'm off for now.

Meeting Hall
First of Granite, 1501

"Ahem. thank you all for attending, quiet down please, thank you all for attending. Now, Zultan and I had a small "discussion" earlier today, and what do you know, turns out s/he is the rightful heir to the throne. You know, the throne that has sat empty in the Mountainhome for thousands of years? Yeah that one. Anyways, long story short, "King" Zultan is now our glorious Queen by right of birth. So uh... Long Live the King? Queen? I don't know, someone get me some booze."

So that's the end of the first year of Runlance. I was honestly laughing for a good 10 minutes over Zultan becoming queen, it's almost too perfect. Anyways, good thing I started smelting all that Gold, otherwise we'd be having an unhappy Monarch  ;D

Anyways, the fort is in decent shape. I have some mines up and running and some very rudimentary defenses (namely, the bridge-gate). I'm not sure if there will be any more migrant waves that come, so our only hope for long term survival is to start getting dorfs hitched. My end-goal for the Fort is to hit 200 dorfs living at once. So try not to get any of them killed.

Notes:
- So we embarked n an aquifer that takes up the right half of the map. Oops, not too difficult to avoid at least.
- For the love of Armok don't leave the Well Floodgate open, it won't end... well.
- The Queen is gonna need some suitable quarters ASAP. Also, Zultan was out Doctor, I'm not sure if being Monarch changes them from doing doctor stuff or not.
- The Farms are accessible from the sky bridge, which is itself not very secure. It's only halfway covered, and only a set of doors separates the bridge from the fort. Also all out food stocks are in the farms, not exactly the best urban planning here, I know.
- Caverns are not breached yet, I wasn't feeling brave enough to do so, but whoever is next, feel free to.

Well, EuchreJack, you're up! I reverted the graphics to ASCII. Feel free to use whatever Graphic Pack you want, but please for the love of Armok, revert back to ASCII before you upload. No one likes a corrupted save.

Save File
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Runlance - Long Live the Queen? King??
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 11:53:56 am »

Someone Dorf me(if you please, thank you).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 09:36:54 pm »

Just an FYI, I'm going out of town for a few days, so it will be a bit before I'm able to play and post.  Might be able to get something up Sunday.

If anyone is eager, I can skip down one.  I am currently up at The Colorless Home, further complicating things.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 03:56:26 am »

Huzza I've become the queen, and one that is so powerful that I'm both king and queen!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 04:56:06 am »

Well that was certainly a twist. Long live the Queen King!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 08:57:49 am »

Just an FYI, I'm going out of town for a few days, so it will be a bit before I'm able to play and post.  Might be able to get something up Sunday.

If anyone is eager, I can skip down one.  I am currently up at The Colorless Home, further complicating things.

I'm the next guy; I, too, am rather busy this week, and I don't know if I'd have time to do this.

Take your time.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 11:26:22 am »

/in as player

Well, it seems you're up next if you want the turn.

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 01:05:12 pm »

I currently have the initial turn in Fishheads II, I'll finish that one up today and then take over Runelance after.

Just completed my turn in Fishheads II, will get onto this tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:12:16 pm by Metruption »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 04:43:25 pm »

I currently have the initial turn in Fishheads II, I'll finish that one up today and then take over Runelance after.

Just completed my turn in Fishheads II, will get onto this tomorrow.

Alrighty, updating the turn list now

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 03:57:42 pm »

First update tomorrow probably, I have some plans.

It looks like there is another site from our civilization so we might end up getting a few migrants. Also, there's an uncontacted elf civ so I'm going to contact them.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 05:00:49 pm »

First update tomorrow probably, I have some plans.

It looks like there is another site from our civilization so we might end up getting a few migrants. Also, there's an uncontacted elf civ so I'm going to contact them.
Insert 'Dirty Elves' here.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 02:48:15 pm »

Going to stream my year on this fort and then make a big post afterwards twitch.tv/theyflower

I want to make a big plumbing megaproject and also maybe set up a full blown textile industry with automation via the manager

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 06:14:18 pm »

Turn is done, writeup coming very soon. Just need to add pictures.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 06:27:51 pm »

Notes from the journal of Theyflower the Mechanic.

That well is cute, but we need something bigger, something more powerful! I'm going to design and construct an amazing underground aqueduct with a power plant of bewildering power to match. As long as our monarch is happy I'm sure they won't get in the way. Gold furnite for you!

Also, there's some elves. I'm going to walk over and ask for yearly tribute. Hopefully they don't kill me... I'm back, they're going to give us some free stuff every autumn. SCORE!

That sky walkway is exposed, time to wall it all in.

Some migrants showed up. Twenty two of them. There's plenty of hauling to be done, but I sent a few to the mines and had a couple make carpenter workshops out where the logs are. We're going to need a lot of beds, barrels, and wooden things.

Craftsdwarves! They don't make anything actually useful but they want a guild. I told them yes and I'll get around to it... eventually. Editor's note: Theyflower did not get around to it.

Spring is nearly done and so is my Aqueduct! Time to get the control room dug out.

Our great and noble monarch who we will not write mean things about keeps rambling on about bins. I'm going to have some made just to shut them up about it.

Lots of the new migrants are just sleeping in the dining hall... going to carve out a dormitory for them.

The monarch's quarters are nearing completion. I'm going to move in the furniture and... that tomb above them? It's mine. Why are there stairs in MY tomb? It leads to the plumbing control room. Don't you dare question it!

Summer arrived and the last of the control room levers are being linked to the bridges. I made sure to leave a few outlets so that water can get sent to where it is needed later on. Time to have the miners channel a connection to the river! I'm so excited, hopefully there isn't a catastrophic flood!

Here comes the water...

And it stopped where I wanted it to!

Pull the lever, fill the plumbing!

Perfect! Pull the lever, fill the power plant!

While my... our power plant was filling up nine more migrants arrived. I told ten random dwarves they were in the military now and to go train or something. I had a bed placed in the entryhall area and told them it was a barracks.

Also, we need a real hospital. I had the miners dig out a farm for pig tails so we can get some thread and cloth along with a hospital area by the well.

Some kid went insane.

Autumn is here now, and I feel rather accomplished. My tomb is all engraved and has a nice gold statue of me. To top it all of it leads to the lever control room so people will NEVER be able to forget me. The power plant was starting to fill up properly so I had a bit of water drained from it, this would agitate the water so that it flows in just the right way to make the waterwheels keep going. Now we have unlimited power!

The caravan arrived. I traded some buckets, splints, and crutches for whatever animals they had and some bins of cloth and leather.

Pull this lever, it's time to flood some water to irrigate our future farms.

More migrants? Seven more dwarves. I'm going to have one of them start cutting our large pile of rough gems. That crazy kid also ended up dying. Delphanso seems a bit down, was probably his son. I had some coffins built in the remnants of a gold vein so that our dead can rest better.

The throne room is done. Those pillars in the middle make it look regal. Maybe it's not dune until the sides are lined with golden statues but the Monarch seems happy.

I had a stockpile for pig tails, dimple cups, thread, cloth, and dye setup along with some of the cooresponding workshops including a mill powered from my... erm our amazing power plant.

My amazing and wonderfu- our power plant is filled with water. I closed off the plumbing system as no more water is needed.

One of the dwarves fell into a mood and made a weapon rack. I'm going to have it placed in my tomb.

The year is done and so are my big dreams of a dye industry. To support it we needed power so I went with an oversized power plant fed by an extensible and high capacity plumbing system. On top of all of that I made the monarch satisfied. This was a good year. Maybe the power plant didn't need to be that big, but hopefully someone will find a use for it later.

Sure, maybe the military doesn't have armor. Sure, maybe we don't have enough bronze bars to outfit them all. Sure, maybe we don't have enough ore to make more bars. Those aren't my problems.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 06:29:43 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15