Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: The Tales of Runlance - Year 1511 - OVERSEERS NEEDED! APPLY INSIDE!  (Read 26368 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tales of Runlance - Year 1508 - OVERSEERS NEEDED! APPLY INSIDE!
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2022, 12:26:32 am »

To whomever it may concern,

I am a detail-oriented professional and "gullible sucker" applying for the position of fort overseer.

Go for it

Edit: Updated OP

Got the save file, starting the turn now. I'll keep a log of the turn as I go, and will post the screenshots the turn summary write up after the years up.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2022, 04:22:17 am »

Alright, its early summer now, and I still have no idea whats going on with half of this fort, lol.

The only present staff upon arrival were the mayor, who was without an office (and was very upset about several things), and a bookkeeper, who was also without an office and was being expected to maintain an 100% accurate inventory of our stockpiles.

The military was in shambles, half of the units were without a commander. And our fortress lacked a captain of the guard.
The training schedules between units was incomprehensible. Some units trained only once a year, while others trained constantly or had seemingly random schedules. The custom uniforms that were assigned to some units were all without shield, so most of our dwarves are either very rusty with them, or are totally unfamiliar with them. I have been consequently left the arduous and unfortunate task of restructuring our entire military; during what appears to be an omnipresent siege by an undead horde commanded by flying necromancer experiments.

I also assigned an innkeeper, and have begun construction on several dedicated shrines to the gods of our pantheon.

I also just barely saved a dwarf who was almost insane from his demand for bones to satiate his fey mood. Many peafowls were harmed in the process of this satiation.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2022, 05:41:41 am »

Yeah, the military was a mess. Lost a lot clearing out the waves I had to deal with and by the end of the year they brought a new wave. Well hope you can improve the military. Best of luck
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2022, 06:16:24 pm »

Dikbut's Log:
1st of Granite, 1509

My arrival at Rurkûbuk, "Runlance" was ill-timed.
What was supposed to be an easy con-job assignment, has since become a matter of the most dire of circumstances.
The fortress, upon my arrival, was in the midst of being besieged by a force of the Nako Musor at 194 undead strong. Most of invaders are intelligent, and wearing full armor. Several failed experiments fight alongside them. The entire fort was and continues to be under total lockdown.

The fort itself, with its complex passages and automated defenses, had thus far prevailed at keeping the invaders outside the fortress walls. However, the intricate labyrinth of machinery, its arcane stone mechanisms, and indefatigable twisting rods and large rotating gears, which worked night and day, all intertwined and connected to a multitude of various levers, which were concentrated in either hub rooms, or placed seemingly at random in various corridors and hallways. Upon my initial survey of the first fortress, I inquired with the local citizenry as to how the complex system operates, and what each of the levers do. To my surprise, none of the dwarves could say. I asked these dwarves who had been running this fort, and most of them immediately shrugged and walked off. Fortunately, one dwarf was able to direct to me to an updated list of the fort's key persons that was maintained by the scholars of the library.

On the way to the library I discovered that a particular hallway intersecting with a main bus of the fortress, was awash with crundle blood, as well as live wild crundels. Surprisingly, none of the dwarves were concerned about the crundles, or knew how they had even entered the fortress. The crundels evidently kept to themselves at the end of the hallway, which didn't connect to anything important. And so the crundels were allowed to remain.

We arrived at the library, the last bastion of any competence in this fort. As my eyes fell upon the list, and I became ever more elucidated to the grizzly & daunting task that lay before me. My plans for ransacking the fortress of its gold a mundane temporary assignment of strategic military oversight would have to be put on hold, for there was much work to be done, and to do this work, I would need men, dwarf-men, people in general really, even crundels honestly! We are quite desperate in our situation, and these desperate times call for, well... anyone that is going to bother showing up, honestly. The first of the two names on the list was the mayor, and that was next person I intended to speak with.

I found the "mayor" of the fortress at the bar/inn. Unsurprisingly, I found there to be no bartender, no inn keeper, that resided there. Instead, "patrons" simply hopped over the counter, got what they needed, and vaulted back over, and complained to a wooden barrel with a smiley face drawn on it. But it was here, in this lonely cesspit, that I found the fort's mayor. And the mayor was very drunk, and alone. Crying in frustration and anger over a great many of seemingly reasonable complaints, such as having to witness the body of his friend decompose in real time. And that his only companion and piece of owned furniture was a glass cabinet.

Emergency enlistment for main offices took only a fortnight. Tossing whoever was even remotely competent at their designated assignment.

The military was also in shambles. Most units were without commanders, and the units themselves were a bizarre mishmash of different training schedules, and uncoordinated uniforms (if you could call them such.) This gross military incompetence was immediately corrected... mostly... I mean, we made due with what we have. (What very little we have) Training is now nine months a year for all units. Each major training session will last 3 months, followed by one month for R&R before soldiers return for further training. This ensures that our dwarves develop their military prowess competently, without over-burdening them with the stresses of a brutal never-ending training regimen, the stress from which would otherwise cripple our dwarves in terms of their combat effectiveness, which is the only reason were not doing that.

Our military units are now thus:

One dwarf evidently had nearly gone insane by the time of my arrival, and kept screaming about needing bones. So bones were acquired, and the growing peacock problem in the fort were simultaneously taken care of.

The end result of the mood was thus, and I have absolutely no idea how you play it:

I still can't make any damn sense of this fort's infernal layout and design. There are a million gold statues laying around, but other than normal bedrooms, I can't find any furnished offices for any of the former officials, or metalsmithers.

I do not have time for this. I have decided upon an emergency reallocation of two unoccupied rooms to serve until they are no longer required, as they have been seemingly abandoned after being covered in strange random engravings, these will do well to satiate the demands of the mayor and the newly appointed captain of the guard. Unfortunately, we're in a bit of a hurry, so the two of them are going to have to share.

I have also upgraded the office of the bookkeeper from the janitor's closet they had been using to a small cubby I had carved out next to the new manager's office. Their response can be described nothing short of pure jubilation.

------------

Dikbut's journal
Summer of 1509

Finally, work has begun on my modest temporary ramshackle living quarters from which I shall stoically endure alongside the good dwarven citizens of our fort.

I have commissioned the forbidden copper armor to be melted down to produce copper bars, and to have vast quantities of rose gold produced for the small quantity of limited furnishings for my humble barren abode.

Work continues slowly, as our new metalsmithing dwarves train their skill in producing the new rose gold statues I have commissioned.

The invaders still seem intent on continuing their siege. Out of boredom, I decided to engrave humorous etchings taunting the invaders.

The living area of the dwarves has been expanded.
The endless supply of glass cups that was being produced has been halted.

-------------

Dikbut's journal
Fall of 1509

Summer turns to fall, and still the siege will not let up.
Several artifacts are produced, and the work on my lodgings continues.

Overall nothing of importance happens during this season, except that one of the dwarves made a piss colored mug.

------------------

Dikbut's journal
Winter of 1509

Everything happens.

*cough ahem* my plan works perfectly, and the Etin attacks does battle with the invaders on our behalf.

Upon closer inspection the composition of the enemy forces is quite strange. Intelligent undead frost wizard gorlacks doing work, apparently.

Our Etin friend, Etog Gusnongore Ostranusgoz, whose name shall never be forgotten, and is now memorialized just outside our fortress, who fought most valiantly, on our behalf, is slain in battle.

5th of Moonstone.
The last of the invaders have retreated, having been bested by the great strategic military mind of yours truly.
No, no thank you's are required, all in a year's work for this humble servant. All I require is the tiny pittance sum I am owed for my all my humble service to the fort over this long year. (A sum whose total amount has never been formally specified.. hehe)

Now that the siege is over, I would like to open the front gate, especially seeing as how we've gotten our first migrant wave in what very well could be years. Also, we have run out of wood, and one of the leather workers is on the verge of going insane with log lust, due to the fey mood they were struck with during the siege. For now, the migrants will have to wait outside while I figure out which lever opens the front gate (and verify which ones don't flood the entire fortress in the lava that can be seen being pumped throughout the fortress.) This state of affairs works just fine however, because not long after the migrants arrived, this happened:

The giant, Slong.

Fortunately an elf cold one visitor, who very obviously wasn't a spy, happened to be waiting outside out gates of our fortress and vanquished the fell giant handily.

Somehow, after enough tinkering with adding mechanisms to things, pulling the same levers multiple times, the front door opened. We modified the default burrow to allow the dwarves to leave the fortress.

Both the Etin and the Giant left our fort various artifacts. Most are worthless legendary jute hats, worth anywhere up to a whopping 250 in currency. However there are a few good artifacts theres a steel axe and an iron hammer.

Oh. And one very interesting new addition for the library...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

------------

End:
And now, I retreat to my humble modest lodgings, for some much needed R&R in the humble lodgings, and personal vault treasury, that I have filled with the tiny sum of gold collected from the fortress for my invaluable service to the fort over the past year.

Your most loyal and faithful servant,
General Dikbut

For reference these are my personal lodgings, whose lobby now serves as a monument for our forts dead, and is consequently a taboo for others to disturb or rob from, is now this:
And a message to my would be successors: Keep out.

-------
Current save file; date: (1st of Granite, year 1510)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15809
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 04:17:33 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Merrygin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2022, 04:05:28 am »

Great new update dikbut!
Request to be dorfed by the next overseer.
AKUR AKIR AKAM

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2022, 12:41:15 pm »

Great new update dikbut!
Request to be dorfed by the next overseer.

The OP appears to be absent. But as former commander of the fort, I, General Dikbut, do hereby assume authority over the matter.

And by the defacto power invested in me, I say go for it. You got like a week or something.

You are now to take charge of Runlance for a duration of one year.
1st of Granite 1510 to 1st of Granite 1511.

Be sure to include a link to your hosted save file after the turns over.

o7 GL HF, and don't f*uck'n get everyone killed. But if you do, please consult with the Library of Evil on how best to remedy the situation. 

Merrygin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2022, 10:05:55 am »

Wha- Wait! Actually I just wanted to have a named dwarf in the fort.  :o

... but you know what, I got some time this weekend, I'll give this overseer-thing a shot.  :D
AKUR AKIR AKAM

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2022, 04:21:43 pm »

Every lever I have added should be connected to a bridge of the same name

Merrygin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2022, 02:03:34 pm »

Not that I don't trust you guys... but I will avoid touching the levers at (almost) all cost. :o Our smallest lever rooms are about as big as our tavern I reckon. In fact, I'd bet the square-tileage of our lever-rooms surpasses that of our tavern by several orders of magnitude. Every time I open the game I find a new lever room. Its quite insane, really.  xD

Other than that, things are going gloriously. Almost nobody died yet. Just as a quick info: I'll most likely need till sunday though to finish everything up, which is technically day 8. Sorry!
AKUR AKIR AKAM

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2022, 07:22:22 pm »

Not that I don't trust you guys... but I will avoid touching the levers at (almost) all cost.

We take it you moved the Trade Depot?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2022, 04:08:31 pm »

Just as a quick info: I'll most likely need till sunday though to finish everything up, which is technically day 8. Sorry!

No worries, Sunday works fine.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2022, 08:47:27 pm »

May I apply as overseer?

Merrygin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2022, 12:28:58 pm »

Published from the Journals of Merrygin Anvilwalk

12th of Obsidian, 1509
Finally, I will be witnessing the glory of revolutionary Runlance myself! And finally, I got rid of the yoke of aristocracy! What a day for a poor gelder-boy from the hillocks like me!

20th of Obsidian, 1509
I am confused. Runlance is nothing like I imagined. This is supposed to be the result of the glorious Revolution? The people are running around in tattered clothes, nobody has access to the simplest amenities. Worst of all, this place is run by a self-appointed generalissimo named DikbutDaGrate who is milling about in his perversely luxurious palace all day with his two “personal assistants”.

28th of Obsidian, 1509
Something confusing happened today. I was scrubbing crundle intestines off the floors of the library when General Dikbut came in, followed by a drove of petitioners. He suddenly pointed at me and yelled: “There. From now on bother that guy, he is hereby declared overseer… And now leave me and my personal assistants to our important General’s business.” Apparently, I am overseer now… I only ever wanted to geld stuff for the good of the revolution!

1st of Granite, 1510
If the general thinks I will just be his useful idiot, he will be bitterly disappointed. Its time to bring back the glory days of the revolution…
In fact, I just discussed our new 1-year-plan to some of my comrades in the tavern. This will surely reignite their revolutionary fervour!

OFFICIAL ILLUSTRATED SECTION TO BE PUBLISHED AS MONOGRAPH IN THE SKULL LIBRARY:

2nd of Granite, 1510
Phase one and two of the 1-year-plan have already begun:
First “The Great Rearmament and Reorganisation”. Some bourgeois elements say this is some kind of purge – and in fact, they are right. The military is in tatters. A new Revolutionary Guard of trustworthy comrades will be established as well as newly appointed regiments, each equipped and trained by the highest standards. All suspicious and counter-revolutionary elements, like these magma-cult lunatics, will be removed from positions of military or political power by immediate effect.

Tomorrow, I will officially proclaim our “Great Re-Evalution and Labor-Restructuring” Programme, which reads as follows:
o   Each able Comrade-Dwarf is to be enlisted in communal labor; everyone needs to contribute community service.
o   Each able Comrade-Dwarf is assigned a new job according to their skills, or is provided the opportunity to develop an economic or martial skill if they are unskilled.
o   Each Comrade-Dwarf shall be given the opportunity to attain all goods and services of their everyday needs, be it proper clothing, booze, food, education or uplifting entertainment of revolutionary spirit (which is impossible in the pitiful tavern we have right now! Depicted below)

6th of Granite, 1510
I already feel we have achieved more for the revolution than ever before. The newly expanded clothing industry is hard at work to provide our comrades with modern and practical clothing.

New and modern infrastructure is dug to save the comrades time in their working day.

Comrades are also preparing the mass smelting of bolts that scatter the entire valley. What an inspiring display of resourcefulness!

Our efforts are so inspiring, in fact, that we already can see the first dwarf rushing to a mason’s workshop to work on an exceptional and modern craft.

Well done Domas! A true workers tool, graphically violent as well. Although the imagery does reek of imperialist sympathies, hmm….

26th of Slate, 1510
In a hopefully crushing blow to aristocratic tendencies in a minority of our dwarves, I just banned scepters from being exported. Also, the first training sessions of the newly formed brigades in a vacant barracks started!

The great melting continues, meanwhile. Soon enough our Brigades will be equipped with first-grade armor and weapons.

14th of Felsite, 1510
A fruitful spring comes to a close and with that, some new migrants arrive!

The new arrivals are greeted with joy and are immediately assigned to their quarters and jobs. The continued migration is a welcome sign and invigorates the comrades, who once again the comrades are confirmed in their continued struggle for the revolution.
The newly dug communal canteen of Runlance is made available for the workers to enjoy their leisure time in a spacious and modern environment once again. What a sight for the sore eyes (and throats) that are only used to the pitiful space of the old tavern. Finally, our lever-rooms are no longer bigger than our meeting halls.

15th of Malachite, 1510
Praise the workers! We have finally made available the most modern materials a worker can wish for – Adamantine! This will bring our efforts of military modernization to new heights.

3rd of Limestone, 1510
What is worse than the imperialist? Right, the anarchist. And once again, they are at our gates in full force to test our strength.

But we stand ready to defend the achievements of the revolution.

Many goblins fell, most where imprisoned in our cage traps, however. What a testament to our engineering capabilities!

2nd of Limestone, 1510
If they can’t steal from us with force, they will use even lower methods. With great sadness I have to report that the class enemy stole some of the fruits of our honest labor.

But we this only means we can never let our guard down before the revolution is completed.
To advance our technological abilities and provide the working classes with better education, a new paper industry is set up near the library.

5th of limestone
Ah, finally, the caravans are here! But… they are packed with parchment to the brim. What is this? No seeds, no military equipment, no resources? This must be ploy by the monarchists from the mountainhome! Let’s hope for better commerce next year…

1st of Sandstone, 1510
A day of celebration as the 2nd People’s Army is officially sworn in and new arrival Udib Hallechoes is appointed commander.

Also, the second artifact of our 1-year-plan is constructed. A handy wool toga. Well done comrade Stakud.

Finally, it’s also time to announce the last phase of our 1-year-plan!

“The Great Leap Underground”
The caverns are our native homeland. It is a great shame that the corrupt bourgeois leadership of the past has let the caverns be overtaken by beasts, filthy troglodytes and crundles. The caverns are to be cleared once the military is fully brought into order. Once the caverns are cleared the groundwork for a glorious new capital of our civilization are to be laid, beginning with a paved marching plaza.

The realization of this phase begins next week.

8th of Sandstone 1510
A new connection to a suitable cavern layer begins

15th of Sandstone 1510
The cleaning of the caverns begins with the defeat of the cave ogres, who continuously tried to sabotage our efforts and are a danger to the health of our workers.

11th of Timber, 1510
Private Note [DO NOT PUBLISH!]
I am beginning to loose my temper. The construction of the cavern marching plaza goes much slower than anticipated and I might need to size down the effort. I can’t allow the 1-year-plan to look like a failure, just because my comrades are getting lazier each day…

15th of Timber, 1510,
Rumors that I, the overseer, have attacked a comrade yesterday are propaganda by the class enemies in our midst. I merely oversaw the lawful punishment of a Jeweler (a rather bourgeois profession in the first place!) who did not fulfil is working quotas. At least I still take matters into my own hands for the revolution!!

26th of Moonstone, 1510
 With winter comes another foe trying to overcome our ingenious fortress defences – an Ettin!

In the first line of defence, our brave comrade-kitten Doren.

They can slay our pets, but they can’t escape our traps! The Ettin’s cage is transported away already. This needs a worthy place in the fortress…

1st of Opal, 1510
The construction of our marching plaza, the new center of the revolutionary capital, has begun! I know some of you might have wanted this to have happened sooner, but I can only say this: it might just well be finished already if you kept working instead of complaining to me about it!!

Also, modern apparments for foreign visitors are completed in the Whip of Living.

19th of Opal, 1510
Comrades, once again our struggle is rewarded with an artifact – and what an artifact! “Mergedusks, known as the Blowing Nuts”!

I will personally be appointed to take care of the "Blowing Nuts" myself… I’ll just quickly go and try them on in my quarters…

13th of Obsidian, 1510
What a glorious display of the might of the revolution. This is the new plaza of the cavernous capital, ready for military displays and live training.

27th of Obsidian, 1510
Private Note [DO NOT PUBLISH]
The general was here yesterday (fatter than ever). He said he met with the other captains of the military and that they are not content with the state of the new military plaza. Apparently, its too small, too remote and too dangerous for them, and a “danger to public health” just because of some rotting ogre carcasses here and there… Pah, I say! Defeatists! I will go to them tomorrow and tell them to shove their complaints into a trolls arse! After all, I have the full force of the working classes behind me!

*This depicts the last official meeting of Overseer Merrygin with the revolutionary guard, before his unanimous reappointment as Head-Geldsdwarf*

---------------------------

Our population now counts 137 dwarfs, including 16 children! Man, seeing through this maze of a fortress was not easy, haha. But it worked out. We only lost Olon in the beginning, who was insane, and two militia dwarves, one in the fight against the goblins and one against the ogres. Nobody special though, as far as I can see. This was fun! My first community fort entry, btw.  :D Good luck to the next overseer!

[I am still waiting for the confirmation email for a dffd account, haven't had one yet. I'll post the save file asap]

« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 02:31:39 am by Merrygin »
AKUR AKIR AKAM
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15