Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I got my hands on a new i5 - 11400h laptop, and the world generation IS SO FAST  (Read 1272 times)

Orenong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It's not my laptop, but I got my hand on it for few days, and had to test the best game ever on this machine, and I got surprised by the results so much that I had to make a video about it:

https://youtu.be/Dwqknq0I7S0

I'm not sure how much faster it is, the generation part seems like 20 times faster (wtf?) and the rest is maybe x2 or x3 or x4, I can't tell. wtf? how?! I know how on paper, ddr4 vs dd3, more and faster cache, but it's still amazing that it doesn't follow the normal single core performance difference that you see in benchmarks. I'm glad to see that very much, because it means that Tarn can just make the game without focusing on optimization too much, and the technology of the future will just make it run faster. and it's the best thing ever for the game.

tl;dw for the video. I compared overclocked 4770k, with top of the line DDR3 memory, a machine that was the BEST of 8 years ago. to a cheap, 999$ laptop, and the laptop beat the desktop out of the water. not by the expected margins of the difference in single threaded performance, but like X times faster

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

I'm glad to see that very much, because it means that Tarn can just make the game without focusing on optimization too much, and the technology of the future will just make it run faster. and it's the best thing ever for the game.
I disagree - just because computers are getting faster does not mean people should be encouraged to be sloppy and write inefficient code. After all, there are still plenty of older computers out there which are perfectly functional.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

It could be a better benchmark if you define the world seeds (advanced parameters).

This also shows just how much of an impact active histfigs have. Even the new computer struggles after the first 100 years of history.

On a personal note, I do not believe 1000$ is "cheap" at all.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so, IMO cute video I had a laugh, but I kind of think this is a result of mixed variables. IIRC there was a period of time where the most powerful CPU available for desktop gaming was actually the worst kind for DF, and I honestly don't recall the exact reason for this but if anyone was around ~10 years back that was kind of established forum knowledge.

I don't want to sound privileged, but I've had that kind of 'fast' worldgen speed for many years now, so I imagine your 'old' computer contained the processor type to not work as efficiently. You might have just been veeery unlucky with that particular series. Before my current setup I used a I5-5770 or something like that and it was just about as fast.

Another point: worldgen is different from regular gameplay, and the latter is where the meat of the discussion is regarding 'best in slot' processors or hardware, since it generally doesn't matter how long it takes being a hands-off process.

Finally, god damn we used to be patient, playing DF in the 2000's... slow AF processors with what was practically the same game as today (I cry inside), albeit slightly simpler in regards to trees, and world activity.. and z levels if you go back far enough. Perhaps that's why I have so little patience for the 'optimization first' crowd - the game will never be as slow as when it was running on whatever pentium crap I had back then.