Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can someone remind me, I can't seem to find an answer....?  (Read 1197 times)

Saiph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can someone remind me, I can't seem to find an answer....?
« on: December 05, 2021, 10:58:24 pm »

Could someone remind me how many years DF has had a page on Steam now? Is it more than 10 or less?  :D

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone remind me, I can't seem to find an answer....?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 11:15:39 pm »

Less than 10 years.  Someone else can probably provide better intormation but I pretty sure the steam page was created something less than three years ago.  There are definitely posts dating back to at least March 2019. But maybe there is a longer history I am unaware of?  Haven't followed it closely since it offers me next to nothing except another few years delay on any real development of the game - graphics aside, but that's not what I came to dwarf fortress for...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:53:13 am »

I don't know when the Steam page was put up, but I believe the commercial tangent started in January or February almost three years ago, although a lot of the time was spent down the Villains rabbit hole (the burrowing of which had eventually to be put on hold halfway through after a year or more of digging).

I agree with feelotraveller that a nicer UI isn't worth it from my perspective either, and it's a death blow if it turns into mouse fortress where key bindings don't work throughout (despite assurances, I still fear it's among the things that won't make it in before release, and I strongly suspect it won't ever be repaired if it isn't done by then, always being pushed down in priority until it gets dropped altogether as there's no point anymore). It does seem some UI related issues are going to be improved, though (stockpiles may make more sense, for instance), though some will get worse (labor assignment).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »

I reckon it was three or four years ago. I got a steam account in order to wishlist DF at the time, as I was told this would "help" and it didn't do me any harm to do so. But it's still listed as a Windows-only game, and the graphics just aren't my thing, so I'm still only going to be able to use the Bay12 download. I'll probably buy it for solidarity purposes, knowing me, despite not having a machine that will run the game.

...I agree with feelotraveller that a nicer UI isn't worth it from my perspective either, and it's a death blow if it turns into mouse fortress where key bindings don't work throughout ....
Yeah, I don't need Mouse Fortress either. I guess if it brings new players that's always a good thing, but I would have to buy (and then work out how to use) a mouse to play it, as well as a Windows machine. Takes all types, and I'm just one weirdo player, so like I said, solidaritywise I'm still buying (but going to be unable to use) a Steam Windows version, or a version that uses a mouse.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 06:28:49 pm »

2019-03-13, less than three years ago. Still, these haven’t been the best years; I think we can all agree 2020 feels like it lasted for at least two years on its own, so it is not strange if the wait feels longer than that.

Here are the reaction threads of this forum and of the subreddit, for those interested in a mini-throwback.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 02:43:33 am »

I don't know when the Steam page was put up, but I believe the commercial tangent started in January or February almost three years ago, although a lot of the time was spent down the Villains rabbit hole (the burrowing of which had eventually to be put on hold halfway through after a year or more of digging).

I agree with feelotraveller that a nicer UI isn't worth it from my perspective either, and it's a death blow if it turns into mouse fortress where key bindings don't work throughout (despite assurances, I still fear it's among the things that won't make it in before release, and I strongly suspect it won't ever be repaired if it isn't done by then, always being pushed down in priority until it gets dropped altogether as there's no point anymore). It does seem some UI related issues are going to be improved, though (stockpiles may make more sense, for instance), though some will get worse (labor assignment).

I cannot agree more. I have posted about this but I honestly think it will likely occur. one of the barriers to learning (what will become) old-school DF is that you need to memorize keybind to get any speed from the ui. however, once you memorize those keybinds you can operate with a pace more akin to an RTS player. When you introduce forced mouse control you introduce, um, this awkward navigation to precise points in a 2-d plane which can be bothersome when repeating the same task over and over and over. trust me this is my day job, and why said job sucks...

The best we can hope for in the above situation is that the mouse operations remove the need for repetitive designation tasks.

2019-03-13, less than three years ago. Still, these haven’t been the best years; I think we can all agree 2020 feels like it lasted for at least two years on its own, so it is not strange if the wait feels longer than that.

Here are the reaction threads of this forum and of the subreddit, for those interested in a mini-throwback.

the concept of time (and truth) was thrown out the window in 2020