Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Operation Suvorov: Turn 2  (Read 1560 times)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Operation Suvorov: Turn 2
« on: September 14, 2021, 09:52:00 pm »

D-Day Minus 1

US field Marshall Dwight D Eisenhower alongside British Field Marshall Gregory Mitchell and French Supreme General Jacques Offenbach brief their men. To the French, Gen Offenbach tells them of how they will get their revenge for the German occupation of France.
To the Brits, Marshall Mitchell speaks of how this is the turning point and the upswing of good luck for the British people.
To the American troops, Eisenhower tells each man to look to his left, then to his right. Those two men would not be coming home. This is going to be a long and hard struggle up the beach, but that he believed that every man was capable of making it all the way up to the bluffs and further. The training was there, months and months of drills and practice invasions, aerial surveillance, and in person scouting of the beaches.

H-Hour Minus 9

During that night, the thousands of bombers gathered for Suvurov were launched with the mission to obliterate any beach defenses for the troops. Some were successful, some were not. On several beaches, the German defenders were blown to bits and their defenses rendered unusable. On the rest, there were few if any bombs that reached their intended targets. Paratroopers were dropped over the inland portions of the island. Many were scattered to the high winds and unpredictable patters. Some made it to their original landing zones. The rest were scattered around, many without coherent command structures. Many squads were sans officers, some were sans NCOs, some were sans both.

H-Hour Minus 3

The crews of the motherships served the troopers a hearty meal and some liquor from the hold. This was an awful idea, leading to the majority of the landing parties having awful sea sickness. It was a common occurance to see multiple people in the crafts puke before they’d even seen things that would turn their stomachs.

H-Hour Minus 1

The entire landing force transferred from the motherships to the landing craft about an hour before the invasion. During this, the USS Texas, USS Indiana, USS Kansas, USS New York, HMS Invincible, HMS Dreadnaught, HMS Duke of York, some French Cruisers and Destroyers, and the Super heavy Battleship, USS Oliver Hazard Perry, laid waste to coastal targets but were largely ineffective on the northeastern beaches due to smoke cover from the fires on the other beaches.

M-Minute Minus 30

Thousands of unguided rockets were launched to add a final softening to the beaches. On the southwestern beaches they were highly effective. On the Northeastern, they never reached. Those who did little to no damage.

M-Minute Minus 1

The coxswains yelled at the crew about their distance to the shores. On the southwestern beaches, the majority of craft made it ashore. On the northeastern beaches, specifically Beach Beach, The defenses were untouched and so, every boat was in danger from every source. The soldiers moving up the beaches would face landmines, machineguns, tobruks, bunkers with walls of dozen foot thich concrete and steel, artillery from every angle, mortars, and the various magical effects that would eventually occur due to their prayers and such.
This is the same for your craft. The task ahead is daunting. This is an uphill battle. Quite literally. You will not survive.

LC 04

The only sounds in the Higgins boats are the slapping of waves against the hull, shallow prayers, squad officers and NCOs giving general orders, and the purr of the engine. Landing Craft 04 is the leading craft being merely 10 seconds ahead of LC 02 and 15 ahead of 01 and 03. 05-9 are over 20 seconds behind and 10 is a minute behind.
   [7] Artillery rocks the boat as shells fly overhead. Shrapnel rains into the ship. [7] [7] Both Pvt Boberson and Shine take light shrapnel.
   [1][2]Boberson takes a piece directly into his skull, severely damaging his occipital lobe, blinding him in one eye and reducing the vision in the other. (Gain Blind (3/4). Gain Pain 2 (-2 to all rolls))
   [1][6] Moonshine also takes a shard straight to the dome. Unlike his unfortunate companion, the shrapnel instead supercharges the part of his brain responsible for pain tolerance. (Gain Pain Tolerance 2)
   The ship lands without further incidents [2] in Silk Red Sector. Directly ahead are 4 machinegun nests, 2 Machinegun Bunkers, an Artillery Bunker, and a command bunker. The coxswain orders the door lowered. [12] The opening is lit up with Machinegun Fire, but neither Boberson nor Moonshine are hit. (Location changed to Landing -1)

Spoiler: Boberson (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moonshine (click to show/hide)

LC 04 Remaining Manpower: 30

LC 02

[1] LC 02, mere seconds behind LC 04, moves into harm’s way. The coxswain steers the ship expertly and swiftly, driving towards shore. Until a wave covers up a Rommelspargel tipped with a teller mine. The wooden pole that makes up the Rommelspargel pierces the hull of the boat and thrusts the mine into the crew compartment. The mine has a critical malfunction causing it to detonate a second after penetration. The only survivors are the engine operator and the Coxswain.

Spoiler: McGee (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ? (click to show/hide)

Would you like to respawn?

LC 01

[18] The coxswain for LC 01 swiftly and expertly pilots the ship, missing all of the mine tipped traps, sandbars, and artillery shells. After 10 more seconds, the boat rocks its last as it beaches itself. The coxswain orders the door down. It has landed in Dog Violet Sector. Ahead are 3 Machine gun nests, 2 machine gun bunkers and a command bunker.
   [7] The machineguns open up on LC 01. [2][10] Pvt Smith is caught by the fire. 2LT Bro remains unmolested.
   [6][2] Pvt Smith is shot five times in his right leg. One of the shots nicked his femoral artery. The rest pass through only causing fleshwounds. (Pain 2) (Bleedout 3)

Spoiler: Smith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bro (click to show/hide)

LC 01 Remaining Manpower: 31

Initial Manpower: 2500
Players Killed: -2
Deaths from Infantry: -4
Deaths from Machineguns: -3
Deaths from Artillery: -9
Loss of an LC: -32
Total Deaths this turn: -50
Remaining Manpower: 2450

Remaining Defenses: 5 MG Bunkers, 14 MG Nests, 5 Artillery Bunkers, 4 Command Bunkers, 1 High Command Bunker

END TURN 0

((if you died, don’t make a new character unless you want to. Just tell me you’re respawning.))

((Map for those inclined to want to view it in all it's dumb and badly drawn glory.))
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:01:57 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Suvorov: Turn 0
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 10:26:19 pm »

Advance and take cover! Ideally someplace with a decent sightline on the enemy, but where I'm able to duck down quickly to avoid fire. Per discussion later in this thread, let me amend this to take cover behind the landing craft and start getting a bead on the nearest enemy bunker!
I'm a marksman, I can't just go rushing in shooting like everybody else!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:10:31 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:56:44 pm »

Respawn (In a confused way)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 01:54:07 am »

"Oh god I've been hit!"
Stay in the boat and use it as cover while I try to shoot the machine gunner with my rifle.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 02:05:34 am »

This could have gone better! For other people, I mean. I'm doing just peachy.

Try to drag Smith to cover where I can hopefully try to patch up his leg (or have some NPC staff do it) while he provides covering fire. The enemy aren't close enough to burn yet! That's terrible.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 10:49:29 am »

The only cover we have is the landing craft if this is the invasion of the Normandy Beach

Take cover against the landing craft and yell out for a medic!, take pot shots against the Machine Gunner’s nests I guess

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:09:52 am »

The only cover we have is the landing craft
(That is what I meant, yes)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:03 am »

respawn
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 03:57:44 pm »

The only cover we have is the landing craft
(That is what I meant, yes)

((Well not quite. You do have other cover, it just ain't good cover. There's hedgehogs and rommelspargel to cower behind. Shoulda mentioned that before))
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 05:35:06 pm »

TURN 1

LC 04

"Oh god I've been hit!"
Stay in the boat and use it as cover while I try to shoot the machine gunner with my rifle.

Pvt Boberson, thinking hard for all of about a tenth of a second decides that the best place to stay is in the craft. He aims his rifle up in the direction of the bluff. [5-5-2=-2] He fires, but the round doesn’t go off. Except a second later, when it does, causing it to go wide. Thus drawing the attention of the gunners on the Bluff. (Secret Effect Gained)
   [5] The machine guns fire directly into the craft several rounds tearing into the poor, nearly-blind private. [4][2] His left leg is struck several times, most inflicting moderate flesh damage, but one shatters his shin about two inches above the foot. (Gain Pain 3. Gain Crippled Leg)
   As he falls, the rest of the crew leaps to action and leaves the craft, including that one strange Aussie sniper. A second later, the Coxswain calls out that he’s out of there in a few seconds. One of the other soldiers, a Navy Seaman Seabee pulls Boberson to shore, before taking off to fight.

Advance and take cover! Ideally someplace with a decent sightline on the enemy, but where I'm able to duck down quickly to avoid fire. Per discussion later in this thread, let me amend this to take cover behind the landing craft and start getting a bead on the nearest enemy bunker!
I'm a marksman, I can't just go rushing in shooting like everybody else!

Making the tactical decision to tactically reposition to the rear of the craft for cover from the gunners, Pvt Shine does just that. [8] The craft decides, however, to go away. Leaving the sniper with no cover! With a slight shrug, the sniper decides to aim at the bunker on the far eastern side, facing the 6th Army Rangers.
   [19] Through his scope, he spots the commander, gunner, loader, and what appears to be 9 auxiliary personnel. (Focus 1 gained)

Spoiler: Boberson (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moonshine (click to show/hide)

LC 04 Remaining Manpower: 28

LC 03

[20] Landing craft 03 cruises in fast and hard, narrowly missing traps, left right and center. Machine gun rounds splish the waters around the craft, but as if protected by the divines, nothing strikes the craft. It beaches ahead of all the rest of the craft. The Coxswain drops the door to [2] withering machine gun fire in
   Pvt McGee [19] manages to avoid being hit by the initial burst of fire by being almost literally thrown prone off the ship. The Seaman Recruit next to him is not so lucky, having been shredded by the 7.92mm rounds from the MG46s in the bunkers. Many share the same fate as this recruit.
   [8] The unknown marine is not as lucky as his compatriot. [4][4] He sustains a couple grazes and at least one hit in his left leg. (Gained Pain 1)

Spoiler: McGee (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ? (click to show/hide)

LC 03 Remaining Manpower: 25

LC 01

The only cover we have is the landing craft if this is the invasion of the Normandy Beach

Take cover against the landing craft and yell out for a medic!, take pot shots against the Machine Gunner’s nests I guess

The now wounded Pvt Smith attempts to take cover on the starboard side of the craft’s inner hull. [5] His attempt is met with a shove that plants him far from cover.
   He screams for a medic. [17] Lucky for him the closest guy is a medic. The medic [15] expertly and precisely performs spot surgery, removing chunks of bloody lead and patching up the artery. (Remove Bleedout 3). He is given a shot of morphine. (Replace Pain 2 with Pain 1. Add Morphine High)
   [17] Taking some pot shots at the gunner that shot him, Smith kills the loader and wounds the machine gunner. This is the first kill by an infantryman.

This could have gone better! For other people, I mean. I'm doing just peachy.

Try to drag Smith to cover where I can hopefully try to patch up his leg (or have some NPC staff do it) while he provides covering fire. The enemy aren't close enough to burn yet! That's terrible.

Lt Bro spots Pvt Smith as he gets shoved down. He also sees the medic tend to him, then leave. Deciding that this is a deathwish standing here, the young officer grabs the rifleman by his backpack straps and basically drags him [14] Behind a hedgehog. The shots of fire ring out.
    The enemy aren't close enough to burn yet! That's terrible.

Spoiler: Smith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bro (click to show/hide)

LC 01 Remaining Manpower: 28

The Artillery reloads.

Initial Manpower: 2450
Players Killed: 0
Deaths from Infantry: -4
Deaths from Machineguns: -3
Deaths from Artillery: 0
Total Deaths this turn: -7
Remaining Manpower: 2443

Remaining Defenses: 5 MG Bunkers, 14 MG Nests, 5 Artillery Bunkers, 4 Command Bunkers, 1 High Command Bunker

END TURN 1

((Sorry for taking so long to get this out. Work is usually long and I can't work on this there and I decided to go with friends to get drunk yesterday instead of working on this. You'll get 2 updates a week guaranteed. I'll shoot for more, but I can't promise more.))
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:01:54 pm by Sosoku234 »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Suvorov: Turn 1
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 05:44:41 pm »

"Great job, guy! Keep it up!"
Join the shooting at the bad mans!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 06:03:22 pm »

I have an anti-tank rifle. I'd shoot the gunner, but why do that when I can shoot their gun?
(That means shoot the gun, so we're clear. Hopefully it can be rendered useless!)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 06:07:50 pm »

Crawl for cover! Crawl for cover!! CRAWL FOR COVER!!!!!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 08:46:10 pm »

I have an anti-tank rifle. I'd shoot the gunner, but why do that when I can shoot their gun?
(That means shoot the gun, so we're clear. Hopefully it can be rendered useless!)

The gun I'm seeing you have is ridiculous large, like large enough you need to have several people move it and carry ammo for it, as well as the time to position and set-up the AM Rifle, you'd also want to be firing it prone to not break your arms. The point is I'm trying to say your weapon is extremely unwieldy for one person, but whatever

Keep pushing foward towards the Machine Gun nests, sprinting from cover to cover while taking pot shots when George sees an opening against the gunners. (My thinking is the artillery is going to bomb the landing vessels)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 09:05:25 pm »

The gun I'm seeing you have is ridiculous large, like large enough you need to have several people move it and carry ammo for it, as well as the time to position and set-up the AM Rifle, you'd also want to be firing it prone to not break your arms. The point is I'm trying to say your weapon is extremely unwieldy for one person, but whatever
The Boys ATR? No way. It's bulky, but definitely man-portable. It's under 40lbs, which is nothing. Firing it unsupported probably hurts a lot but wouldn't break his arms, and he can brace it.
Pages: [1] 2