Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.05] Rekov's Dark Elves (v1.0)  (Read 3305 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
[47.05] Rekov's Dark Elves (v1.0)
« on: September 15, 2021, 01:36:10 pm »

Download

These sinister dark elves work with blood, ice, and bone.

Alchemically infused ice has higher value and doesn't melt when brought underground. Good for cutting gems, and making the usual crafts and furniture. Bone serves as a replacement for wood in the treeless tundra—used for furniture, including beds, and even burned for ash and charcoal. New, light-weight metal can be upgraded to better than steel.

The dark elves come with a host of new unseelie-inspired creatures, some the dark, twisted equivalents of more common animals, others made entirely of plants. Harvest and cultivate from an expanded selection of underground and tundra/taiga plants.

Installation:
Set up DF with whatever tileset you want, and extract the zip file into the base directory. I recommend using my color scheme (included) and the Vettlingr tileset (not included). Other 32x tilesets should also work.

The only base file that gets overwritten is creature_standard.txt, where I made wolves trainable. This file can be omitted if desired.

Sprites:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Workshops:

Plants:

Materials:

Animals:

Any and all feedback is welcome, no matter how trivial. Got a better idea for the name of a noble position? Think dark elves should have different weapons/clothes than they do now? Etc. No guarantees.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:34:29 am by Rekov »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Rekov's Dark Elves (v1.0)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:36:47 pm »

Plans for the Future:
These are things I plan on working on. The new sprites are going to have to wait for the steam release. Currently I would have to use overrides, and those are specific to each custom tileset.
  • More unique creatures. Just need to come up with a purpose for them.
  • Make Shambling Mounds shearable, for spinning into plant cloth (there are some technical problems here. See 11804).
  • New sprites for the new plants (awaiting Steam release)
  • New sprites for the new workshops (awaiting Steam release)

Mod Notes:
These are notes about various technical aspects of the mod, for my future use, and anyone else who cares.
  • Native Mithril is not actually an ore. This is to prevent it from being granted to humans and dwarves as well. Instead, dark elves have a custom reaction to smelt it, making it unique to them.
  • My enchanted ice materials have all three tags: [IS_GEM], [IS_GLASS], and [IS_STONE]. I use gem roughs as the base item so that enchanted ice cannot be used in standard masonry/stonecrafting reactions. It also means that cut ice can take any of the gem shapes, and not just stone cabochons. The glass token changes the names of many items and pieces of furniture to their glass equivalents. This also gives sprites the glass-specific appearance, at least with the Vettlingr tileset. The stone token allows products to actually be stockpiled in furniture/finished goods stockpiles.
  • Initially I just gave each of the ice materials [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9950] and retained water's melting point. However certain items would still melt under some circumstances, so I eventually just increased the melting point.
  • Kelpie breath attacks appear to work in Arena Mode, but are hardly used if ever in Fortress mode. Needs looking into. The same can be said for the interaction which applies the regrowth syndrome to plant-based creatures, allowing them to restore limbs.
  • Glazing bone mugs/jugs/pots/etc with Ash suffers from bug 9969, just like normal Ash glazing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 05:37:48 pm by Rekov »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 05:41:33 am »

Looks interesting. Downloading now and will let you know how it goes! (Love the addition of sprites!!!!)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 04:16:18 pm »

Is early game any different with this mod?  I’m thinking about downloading it.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 05:19:45 pm »

Is early game any different with this mod?  I’m thinking about downloading it.
I would say it's as different as you want it to be. I didn't really take anything 'out' of the game in terms of what my dark elves can do. I just added things they can do instead. So dark elves can make various different kinds of ice as a glass/gem alternative, but they still have the option to do glass and gems in case those strange moods come up.

The one exception is adamantine, which dark elves cannot handle.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:00:03 am »

So I have been playing through the mod. I love the growable ice and the use of the alchemist. However how do I get more seeds for the Ice Bramble plant? I see in your notes that there is supposed to be Ice crystals and Fruit Growths. However I only see the Ice Crystals and can turn them into boulders of ice. But I have no way of getting more seeds.

*EDIT: I just noticed the Bramble berries. Are those from the Ice Bramble? If I brew/eat them am I safe to assume I will get more seeds for Ice Brambles?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:04:06 am by Stronghammer »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 09:25:35 am »

I just noticed the Bramble berries. Are those from the Ice Bramble? If I brew/eat them am I safe to assume I will get more seeds for Ice Brambles?
Yep! And the Ice Crystals also form during winter on the plants growing in the wild, where they can be collected via Herbalism.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 01:29:37 pm »

Hey,

I just started to brew the fruit and grow more of the plant and get more ice. It seems like a really cool system. I still am looking at exploring the alchemy stuff.