Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2023  (Read 1344 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
National Novel Writing Month 2023
« on: October 21, 2023, 10:13:06 pm »

I waited a bit too long to post this partly out of not realizing how close to November we were, but it's almost that time of year again.

Given that we've been getting less than two full pages of posts in the last few threads, I've been considering if going forward I should just necro the thread each year as the time comes around, but for this year at least it's a new thread.

Obligatory copied content from the last few years:

In case you aren't familiar with NaNoWriMo:

What is NaNoWriMo?
NaNoWriMo is an informal challenge to anyone who wants to write.  The idea is simple: you simply have to write 50,000 words of a story during the month of November.  You don't necessarily have to finish the story, so long as you write that many words, and it doesn't matter what the story is.  This isn't going to be published anywhere without you doing it, so it can be fanfiction for all that the challenge cares.

The point is to just get words down.  A lot of writers agree that this is the hard part, and you can easily get stuck trying to edit or world build.  From experience, I can say that it's very true, and anyone who wants to give this a shot is strongly encouraged to not fret about the quality of your work and just focus on getting a first draft down.  I did last year and hate how it turned out, but I'm still glad I did it since it puts me in a better place to try it this year.

Is this a competition?
Not really.  You're only challenging yourself.  You can certainly compare your progress to others, but it's informal and you won't get anything but a warm, fuzzy feeling for beating someone else.

Is my writing safe?
Sure.  You don't have to publish anything you write, and nanowrimo.org just has a tool for inputting word counts.  They have a word count utility as well, which supposedly scrambles the text so that nobody could possibly steal it, but in seriousness there's no reason to be afraid of whatever you're writing getting out in the wild without you doing it.

Can I win anything?
Only personal satisfaction, which is a surprisingly good thing in my experience.  Supposedly you can get some discounts on software or other sponsored goodies if you "win" by hitting 50K words, but I don't actually know how this works.

Can't I just cheat and enter whatever I want in the word count tool then?
Sure, but you're only cheating yourself in the end.  The whole point is to make something of your own and prove to yourself that you can do it.

Official website:
https://nanowrimo.org/

Links to previous years:

Following on from my last few years, I'll say that each year continues to get easier on a technical level.  Setting the time aside to write 1,667 words per day is pretty easy now during November.

The hard part continues to be getting ideas for stories.  I've spent a fair bit of time this year trying to revise and recycle older ideas to get something to a state that I would consider self-publishing it, but so far that hasn't panned out.

At the moment I have two ideas that I'm debating between:

• A space fantasy story based on a failed RPG setting.  The story would be about a vezel, which is essentially a space kobold / space velociraptor, who was genetically engineered into a magical super soldier but who decided she didn't want to be part of it.  She was going to be fleeing from the government that originally hired her, taking her genetically engineered son (or maybe just egg) and trying to find somewhere safe to stay.  I unfortunately have little more to work from than that.
  • Continuing a solo RPG game using the Starforged rules, which was based on the setting of Stars Without Number effectively crossed with Star Fox.  I've already written about 160,000 words so I have plenty of material to work from, and committing to 50,000 more words would probably get me jumpstarted again.

So, the vague new idea, or the sure thing?  Tough choice.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2023
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 07:25:26 am »

I unfortunately won't participate as I write too slowly (though I am getting faster) and my hands are already full with a hard sci-fi space opera book.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 11:42:55 pm »

Very understandable, and good luck with the book series you've been working on.

I got a bit of a late start yesterday but managed about 2,500 words in 2 hours, so I'm ahead of schedule.  I decided to go with continuing that solo RPG, which at least so far is working out fine.  I'm hoping that it'll help me avoid ever getting in a situation where I'm not sure where to take the story since it has rules for story complications and the like.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 11:58:21 am »

NaNoWriMo has been going for just over a week now, and I'm at about 15,000 words and should finish somewhere around November 22nd.

In a way, writing using Starforged as a solo RPG system almost feels like cheating.  Since I'm not paying as much attention to things like clear story arcs and pacing, it's easy to just bang words out.  I guess at its core that's what NaNoWriMo is about.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 12:25:05 pm »

Cheering you guys on, unfortunately I am way too busy this year (same as last couple of years, studying just takes up my free time T_T)

Best of luck with your works! Just keep writing!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 08:42:43 pm »

It's a big commitment, and studying is obviously more important.

Anyway, two weeks in at almost the halfway point.  I hit almost 31K words today, so I'm quite a bit ahead.  At this rate I should finish about a week ahead of schedule.

The quality is mediocre at best now I thin, but for a change I'm not aiming at writing something publishable so that hasn't mattered much.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 09:27:59 pm »

Finished today, 8 days ahead of schedule at an average of 2,273 words per day.  That makes 7 years that I've completed the challenge in a row, and I hope to continue for the foreseeable future.

This also conveniently brought a close to a section of the solo RPG I was running.  It didn't fully complete the story, which I think will probably end up taking around another 50,000 words, but it brought me a lot closer.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 09:21:52 am »

Finished today, 8 days ahead of schedule at an average of 2,273 words per day.  That makes 7 years that I've completed the challenge in a row, and I hope to continue for the foreseeable future.

This also conveniently brought a close to a section of the solo RPG I was running.  It didn't fully complete the story, which I think will probably end up taking around another 50,000 words, but it brought me a lot closer.

Amazing work Telgin! I only manage to win Nano about 30% of the time, 7 years in a row is impressive.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 12:46:49 am »

Thanks.  As I've said somewhere before, it gets easier each year, though that hit diminishing returns for me around year 3 or 4.

I just wish I could find discipline to write outside of NaNoWriMo.  I keep finding myself with the common problem of wanting some inspiring story to write, and that never hits.  I usually settle on some half-baked idea for NaNoWriMo that doesn't really pan out past banging out 50K words.

I did finish my story from last year over the following month and some change, but it wasn't the kind of thing that was really worth fixing to release in any form.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 05:59:19 pm »

I always found the accountability from doing nano with others was what pushed me to keep going (outside of a writing routine, which I haven't had for years). If that's the kind of thing that helped you, maybe a writing group would help?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 06:24:53 pm »

That's something I've thought about a few times and still do consider on occasion.  I've never been part of one so I'm really not sure what it's like, but it would definitely take some mental readjustment and discipline to adhere to one if it's at all like what I'd expect.  On the other hand, it might be a good way for me to get out of the usual rut that a lot of amateur writers find themselves in, which is that they write but never find time to read.

Well, that's actually a bit of a joke since most amateur writers don't really do much writing either, but you know.