Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!  (Read 29936 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2023, 04:08:11 pm »

Yeah, I think 'learn a game engine first' is pretty useful. Godot has been good to me. I started trying to learn to code first, and would get discouraged because I barely had a grasp on C++, then most engines used C#.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2023, 05:01:31 pm »

So ehm.. I'm posting here with you sinners because I also started to indie dev. I'm making the game I always wanted to play, and I'm advanced enough to envision finishing the project. Development will be long but I'll have something to show off pretty soon.
I'm coding in Python because I'm a scrub inside.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2023, 05:28:40 pm »

I keep overscoping my projects like a scrub. Currently I should be spending lots of time working.

I lose focus somewhat, and I'm not sure why. Need to get that particle effect for the flamethrower done...

I don't think people actually go through the 100 options for making a particle effect in unity, by hand.

blackreaper666

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2023, 04:24:21 am »

I keep overscoping my projects like a scrub. Currently I should be spending lots of time working.

I lose focus somewhat, and I'm not sure why. Need to get that particle effect for the flamethrower done...

I don't think people actually go through the 100 options for making a particle effect in unity, by hand.

I feel like overscoping is one of the most common problems with game dev. It's just so easy to fall into the trap of "thinking big" and envisioning a million cool systems and gameplay ideas :D

My main problem at the moment is that I finally kept the scope well manageable and in theory could finally start creating actual content based on my "engine", but I'm kinda in a "art-block" where I further keep polishing systems instead of building actual game content for people to play... I'm currently building a open source "Slay The Spire"-like deck builder that can actually be run in the terminal (but there is also a windowed version) and the engine is working really well so far but it lacks content (︶︹︶) I hope I can get my lazy ass to finally create some more game content soon
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]