Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 48382 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a game?
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2021, 03:38:58 am »

What kind of this are on this long list of things to add?

*a nerdy ghost whispers "linux"*
But...      I'm afraid...    Also I don't even know which one I would go with.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2021, 04:13:01 am »

It's sort of just an enumerated list of what I've talked about layed out in categories of what needs to be done first.

So like, the E button starting combat was one of those that I finished, but under that is:
 E begins dialogue
- click or enter to begin combat
- allow player to leave dialogue without combat.
- dialogue stored in code?

Other major categories are bringing the 3d models into the gameshop room and managing inventory.

Re: Linux, if you're actually interested, the generic.computer advice thread seems to be the place to ask. Lots of people on here have some experience with many of the distros.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2021, 04:42:53 am »

When you say managing inventory do you mean like healing stuff for the monsters or something else?

Re: Linux, if you're actually interested, the generic.computer advice thread seems to be the place to ask. Lots of people on here have some experience with many of the distros.
Might look into it seriously when I get a new hard drive for that old laptop, still don't know how one would chose a distro as there seem to be hundreds of them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2021, 01:25:17 am »

When you say managing inventory do you mean like healing stuff for the monsters or something else?

I mean managing your "deck" of monsters. If there's a capsule machine, you'll be getting new mons, and multiples of mons. We'll need to keep track of that, and also maybe a drag-and-drop interface to make the party-lineup? Not sure yet.

Might look into it seriously when I get a new hard drive for that old laptop, still don't know how one would chose a distro as there seem to be hundreds of them.
There are a lot, but there are clear stand-outs in different categories. Overall, I think Debian is the most-used, which means it's the best supported by other software. Under that you have more specific types - like Ubuntu and Mint - then each of those have options in their desktop environments, usually like Xubuntu and Ubuntu Budgie.

You're right - there are a lot. They're also free, though - so you can just spend an afternoon trying out a couple of them to see which jives with you best.

-=-=-=-=-=-

No pictures today, unfortunately. Last Friday there was a power outage, so...didn't get any work done. The weekend was dedicated to Dwarf Fortress, and now it's Monday and I'm grumpy >:{ (Also the internet is out because the school forgot to pay the phone bill.)

Luckily, I had already grabbed some free assets from Kenney (who makes a lot of free assets, a few solidly fun games, and some great paid assets). Importing is not an issue. I built a small 3D environment out of them - 4 walls and a floor. There are 3 humanoid models, but when I import them, they are textureless - clearly all sharing the same shape. So I'll have to figure that part out, but the game should look a lot different next time you guys see it.

Along the aesthetics branch, I tried again to get that yield to work and for the text log to be more readable. I failed and honestly might not be able to implement it. Mostly, that's because of how I structured the code. I'm not using the process at all (like we do during the 3D movement) - and so that process will be very hard to interrupt and pause. It may just end up being let there because the work to fix it will be too much. I've already spent more time on it than I'd care to, and just want to blast through whatever is next.

Anyway - tiny progress made today, nothing of huge note. Hopefully I can start the dialogue section next.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2021, 02:51:20 am »

You said you've picked some assets does that mean you have a theme picked out?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2021, 02:57:32 am »

You said you've picked some assets does that mean you have a theme picked out?

I'm honestly thinking: Alien technology that fell into a medieval tavern.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2021, 03:43:31 am »

I'm excited for the peasants, vikings, or whatever medieval people you chose for this making monsters fight for their entertainment!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2021, 12:01:22 am »

Starting to slow down on progress as I feel frustrated and need to learn a bit more about what I want to do. Must. Push. Self. To. Learn.

Anyway - here's what happened in today's little burst of effort:

The whole yield thing was really disheartening - the basic recommend solution was: restructure completely. That's not happening - so here's my fix.

Just plop a yield at the front of every function that prints texts. It actually feels alright. A bit easier to read, for sure. Comes with a fun bug where you can swap out a mon who is about to die before the text is printed and freeze out your own buttons. (Swapping again fixes it, so...eh.)

Anyway, I'm satisfied with this look. So let's make it even fancier.

Here I can plop tags like

These brought back a sense memory of playing Runescape and trying to sell coal.
<scroll> <>< Selling coal certs 600gp <>< <scroll>

Fade will fade out but needs a specified number of letters - easy to just grab the len(gth) of the text.

The end result looks like a fucking travesty in jpeg format.

Hang on, let me get a png.

and

Once this battlescene gets remodeled, these colors will change. The wave is animated as is the shake/tremble. You may need to play it to get the effect. It's nothing special.

Finally I made some adjustments to the basic indoor scene. I need to figure out the keyboard shortcuts for the 3D editor, because it takes me ages to move around and adjust items to a fine-degree. Anyway - it's like...more like a game.

Next two steps (either dialogue or inventory) are going to require a bit of learning on my part. That shouldn't be too bad. Tomorrow I have to do some work visa management, so I'll either get no time to work on it, or several extra hours to work on it (depends how fast it is and if I can just go home afterwards)

I wanna get something significant done and post another playable version this weekend. We'll see!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:03:04 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2021, 02:14:31 am »

Oh man it has a ceiling and a door now, it's like a whole new game!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2021, 12:26:42 am »

Took about a week off to be depressed and play dwarf fortress (also try desperately to keep Spookyfort up and running) Anyway, the rest did me some good because I did the following without any mistakes. NO MISTAKES!

YOU HEAR ME?

I separated the keybindings slightly - and have set up an inventory key (I, E, and right click) and an interact key (interact is left click, space, or enter). Now, whenever they're pressed, the game will send to these functions. But what are these functions, you ask -

Inventory does nothing - just passes as if the button wasn't pressed at all.
Interact will only trigger if you're within battlin' range of a cubeboy. It, in this image, only does what it used to do - go straight to combat. So let's change that.

We need a dialog screen to overlap the 3D scene. Luckily, any 2D object will just get plastered on top of the window. That means if we throw a 2D object up there, and freeze the controls, we have a simple dialog window we can use.

This scene is exceptionally simple - which is really all we need. The background is a colored rectangle that is black but at about 80% opaque - meaning it is only slightly transparent (the screenshots are mid-tweaks, as I started at much more transparent and slowly cranked it up.

And to freeze it, we actually just check a boolean every button press/mouse movement.

We get a simple version of it here:

Next, we set up a signal. Signals call upwards in the chain - to lay it out clearly, it looks something like this:

-main (always running)
- - gameshop (child of main)
- - - player (child of gameshop)
- - - Control (dialog scene, child of gameshop)

player has a signal called "talk" that signal is emitted when you're next to a cubeboy and press an interact key. It also passes the trainer information.
gameshop receives the signal "talk" and does this:

It checks which trainer it is and then looks at Control (the dialog scene) and fills in the text for the buttons and label. Nifty neat and easy!
This is very bad code, as everything is very explicit - Control is the generic name for a 2D UI node. So if I want to change it, I'll need to come back and change it in every one of those green texts! Gasp!
(I'm going to do this, don't worry. It bugs me too much to just leave it.)

The first button is an escape option - it'll drop the dialog screen and return you to normal.

The second button starts combat. This is the same code from the old E button press - and since the global handles all the trainers and stuff, that should work just fine.

But! If we just hide the screen, the game is still frozen! You can't move! Now you know what Major Chongus' victims feel like!
Easy peasy:

This is a new feature I didn't know. Since Control is a separate scene, it's a bit inconvenient to connect a signal back up to the gameshop or main (it is possible, just a few extra lines of code). Instead, instanced scenes (such as this one) will basically emit a signal whenever they're hidden, and since button1 hides the scene, we can use that to tell the gameshop to set the freeze to false within the player. It just works!

Hope that was all clear!

I'm uploading files now for a playable version...I unfortunately need to do it through my phone today, so...bare with me.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2021, 01:01:22 am »

New playable version available to play in your browser! 32-bit Windows version just for Zultan included!

HERE

(Had to reupload because I forgot to recapture the mouse after the dialog closes.

No Mistakes.

Also if you spam buttons you will almost certainly break the game during combat.

NO MISTAKES.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2021, 04:30:07 am »

It seems to be shaping up to be something really cool. Also it's pretty cool that there's special version just for me.

I'm still not sure why everything is black when I try it thought, maybe it's because my computer doesn't want me to play any cool games.

Is the 32bit version the one labeled capuwin?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 04:31:48 am by King Zultan »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2021, 04:33:59 am »

It is indeed 32 bit. I figure no sane person would download this, so it's tailored to you... Or it should be. I have no clue why it's black. Unless it is casting it all in darkness for lack of a light source - but that seems...impossibly unlikely.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2021, 04:59:35 am »

My only thought on the situation would be to throw a light bulb in a corner and see if it did anything.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2021, 05:22:47 am »

My only thought on the situation would be to throw a light bulb in a corner and see if it did anything.

I'll try it tomorrow and reupload the windows version. Should still be fine in browser for everyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31