Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 48891 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a game?
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2021, 11:08:32 am »

It works in the browser!

There was some rough edges though.

I would prioritize adding sounds over anything else, at least music.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2021, 07:50:25 pm »

There was some rough edges though.

A friend of mine immediately managed to get outside of world. Rough edges is more than generous.

Yeah, it's interesting how connected visuals and audio is. As soon as I started playing in a space that wasn't just blue nothingness forever - I was like "damn, this needs some music." I'll see what I can get up to today. More visa stuff incoming, so likely will miss a few days to that.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2021, 12:40:47 am »

King Zultan - a new version with a light source has been uploaded just for you - let me know if it works. I also messed around with asset settings - so we'll see!

Trying to work on a a tavern theme

Here's a god-damn crime scene I made by taking the last song, changing it to key of C, upping the tempo and changing the instruments to more sci-fi-y stuff.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2021, 03:03:02 am »

It's happened I can see what's going on, it's a miracle I now know what's going on! Also the player character seems to be a giant floating pill!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2021, 03:30:08 am »

Everything checks out, then  :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2021, 04:03:23 am »

It's happened I can see what's going on, it's a miracle I now know what's going on! Also the player character seems to be a giant floating pill!

This is correct. This entire game is an allegory for Big Pharma.
(glad it worked! Can I get you to test another version for me in the future without a light source? I expect that some of the texture settings is what actually did it.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2021, 03:18:37 am »

Huzza I'm an edge case! Hopefully not one that causes to much trouble.

Also I'm ready when you need me for testing stuff.
Does it matter that I could only see where the light was pointing and everything else was pitch black?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2021, 12:45:30 pm »

Oh wow, tavern theme really brings back memories.
It reminds me of some old Sim City 2000 music.

The second track seems like something experimental I never heard before.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2021, 06:23:33 pm »

So thing are sort of standby as I juggle a few real-life things. Visa application took longer than usual (increasing standards means you show up with all your documents and they tell you that you need another one out of nowhere), and now I'm on the job hunt to move me and my family out of this town that I hate to a city I love. Just been using my lunch breaks for that - or clearing my mind with some DF.

Hopefully I'll nail down a job soon and then can sort of just relax from there until I need to figure out how to move furniture across the country...

Also I'm ready when you need me for testing stuff.
Does it matter that I could only see where the light was pointing and everything else was pitch black?

Thanks - yeah, that does suggest more weirdness going on with textures. Maybe it's something as simple as capitalization. I'll look into it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2021, 03:53:35 am »

Hope the job hunt goes well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »

Well, it is a game.  Apparently without any collision detection, but hey I've never made a game so good job delphonso!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2021, 12:05:36 am »

Oh, bonjour!

My goal is to "finish" this project as much as possible before the end of December - when moving preparations will take the reigns and then, perhaps, just maybe, I'll move on to another coding project.

So over the last month, I learned about the "sport" of CodeGolf. The premise of codegolf should be pretty evident if you go to that site. The idea is to solve a problem with as few bites of information as possible (lowest score is best, like golf.) This is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for every time I tried to learn coding in the past. This is a huge collection of code challenges, most of which require understanding the basics, but many requiring the use of custom functions and such to even complete. I haven't done much besides fiddle with it, but I think I'll take a crack at a challenge every few days or so - or as a "warm up" for jumping back into Godot (using Python, as Godot's language is a slightly modified Python - but will be tough as I don't actually know the real syntax of Python, only the syntax of Godot - which is occasionally different.)

Anyway - the thread!

Hope the job hunt goes well.

Thank you - it did! I found a kindergarten in a city that I like with a decent salary and - AND an apartment with a garden. Goodbye coding, I'm going to grow vegetables now. IN DIRT!

Well, it is a game.  Apparently without any collision detection, but hey I've never made a game so good job delphonso!

So...About that. I made the collision shapes Areas - which is mostly used for...you know - checking if something entered that area. This is convenient for things like pick-ups but is a terrible idea for making walls. I've set them to StaticBody instead - and they work now.

And the project!

First, I went in with the lofty ambitions of codegolfing this project down.

Then I got sort of lost in the weeds for a bit following my chains of button presses and functions.

Then, exasperated, I ate an orange.

Rejuvenated, I came back and decided to fix the bugs that I knew were still present. I added collision to the walls around the tavern - which was easy enough. I then went into the code and disabled all the buttons whenever an attack is selected - then reenabled them whenever the turn switch occurs for the player. This stops the bug where you could press several attacks in a turn, messing up the party numbers and guaranteeing your own loss.

Also I forgot how dumb this game looked what with Knuckles in a hotdog costume and Agumon.

(The normal - preattack menu)

(the disabled buttons)

The coding part of my brain is pretty rusty, but luckily I put comments in my code before, so at least some of it is understandable/refreshes in my memory. I did have to work backwards through the chain to figure out the best place to re-activate buttons - which seems like a fundamentally bad way to do things.

But alas...Work continues. Just cleaning up code and trying not to break it completely. I don't know if I'll get to the point of adding in the gachapon machine - but we'll see. I'd like to actually work on some of the visuals, still - because that, I think, will quickly spruce it up a bit.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2021, 12:48:58 am »

A quick mock-up of the combat screen background. Pretty happy with it, overall - but will probably need to make adjustments with the text log. Maybe expand it a bit, or shrink the text box.

I'll also want to adjust the character portraits window - probably adding some bumps to at least show HP.

Also here's new Agumon/Charmonder

He's perfect.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2021, 05:12:15 am »

The UI is very stylish. So is the Charmonder, but flip his mouth and u get this  :P

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2021, 11:37:43 am »

Soon this game will be so polished we'll go blind when we look at it!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31