Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 48691 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a game?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 02:51:51 am »

I might try to chibi-up some of the monsters from Ultraman/Gamera/old Godzilla and see what I can create. Otherwise, I can always go more Pokemon-ey and draw a cat with leaves for ears. Or Digimon-ey and draw a cat with jean shorts and a glock.
Why not all three at the same time?

For now, expect more shitty google-searched jpegs.
Yay!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 06:57:59 am »

Spoiler: you did this. (click to show/hide)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 07:48:55 am »

You know, this actually really looks like something kids would be crazy for, go for it  :P

Hwongfish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:11 am »

Oh yeah!!! I remember you! 8) 8)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 01:37:31 am »

You know, this actually really looks like something kids would be crazy for, go for it  :P
I'm pretty sure I've actually seen something like that in the toy aisle, also yay I've inspired an art!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 07:45:04 am »

I decided to add the art path directly to the dictionary. This is actually thanks to one (newly appointed Queen) King Zultan who mentioned mods. I decided to go this route and to keep as much in the dictionary as possible so that it may be possible to mod this in the future. All I'll need to do is pull the data from a xml file or something instead of straight from the code - which is certainly possible, but completely out of my depths right now. The benefit being that a modder only needs to supply a sprite and a few words and their new mon can be in the game! Anywho

Since this dictionary is now updated to include the mon's art path...

Oh yeah, baby. That feels good.

You might also notice that "statuses[2]" thing. Well I decided to put the statuses in an array instead of as horrible variables on their own. Here's the status array now:

This will need a bit of tweaking of course, and I'm still unsure about how to handle team effects... For now, I commented out what I had before just in case I decide to revert this decision. We'll see when I start implementing statuses.

I decided to clean up the battlescene code even more. There's always room to make it tighter. I had a realization at work yesterday:

By setting both of these to pass the dictionary, rather than the mon's name when calculating attack...

The attack function now smoothly works with either enemies or your own mons! Thanks to the keywords of the dictionary, this will work with any mon who attacks. It also prints the power that mon has - which we will use to calculate damage in the future. I can/will have to do more with this in the future, and the playerturn bool is going to be very important for allocating damage to the right mon. Anyway, the function is much cleaner and I also got to delete two unnecessary variables - which is great!

You'll notice a new function called statuscheck(). This is one of two new functions I added - both of which just print stuff, but will be filled out with you know...actual stuff that they do. Team effects will be checked at the beginning of the fight and only once, as it shouldn't change throughout the fight.

Team effects are maybe the only "unique" thing about this game - though it is stolen straight from tabletop card games like MTG and Pokemon. Every 'mon is going to have a blanket bonus to the whole team. Right now these will be things like "double damage on crits" and "triple crit chance" or "higher damage from all allies" - this encourages deckbuilding (read: changing up the party) and also makes even shitty mons from a gacha maybe pretty useful.

Anyway, let's run the program and see if everything is working!

I love you charmander, you're my favorite yugioh card.

-=-=-=-=-

Oh yeah!!! I remember you! 8) 8)

Hope you enjoy reading along, Hwong.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:02 am »

It's time...

I set a few numbers in the singleton that will eventually be useful. Right now they're just there, and not used by anything. I'll need to do more research to work this out, but I want to store the number of mons in the singleton, call it in the battle scene, and also find out /which/ mons they are from the singleton. A bit complex for me, right now.

If we're going to have more mons, we're going to need more space. Let's assume the player has 3 mons (which will be the current maximum party size). I add a couple buttons to the graphical display.

Unfortunately I don't have any automation for bringing the right mons to the fight, so I have to put them explicitly in the code. I do clean up the code a bit more from here on. You'll notice the images (myActPic and foeActMonPic, I think) are gone. Instead I just choose to directly load it from the dictionary path. Probably using more memory than necessary, but makes changing between them a bit easier.

We also grab the two new buttons, which will hold our party members!

In the ready() function - which triggers as soon as the scene starts - I cut out most of it and put in a new function called updatescene().

updatescene() looks pretty familiar. It's just making sure everyone is in the right place and that the moves have the right titles. The benched mons will have their name and their art visible (well...ideally). Now that the scene has everyone in the right place, let's work on moving them around.

The new function swaps the active and benched mon you selected. I probably over-engineered this a bit, because I think gdscript(python) can handle just swapping them. Some languages need you to have a third intermediary to hold the data while swapping. This function isn't great because it is explicitly for the player only. We'll see if I need to change this when we work on enemy AI, which might be next. Swapping takes a turn, so the enemy gets a free move if you change mons.

Spoiler: It's time to duel! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:44:13 am by delphonso »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 02:12:23 am »

Pocketsand sounds exactly like the move Zultan would have  :P

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 04:50:05 am »

Shh, don't give away my secret move.

Also it's pretty cool that I'm in a game, hopefully I won't get murdered super fast.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 11:18:44 pm »

Shh, don't give away my secret move.

Well anyway this update is almost entirely about pocketsand.

-=-=-=-

Look, I know what you're thinking, "delphonso, why are you using a dictionary when all you're doing is putting singular info in. You should clearly just be using an array. All the stuff about modding is also totally false and could be done with arrays." I get it. I know you're all thinking that all the time, and trust me - so was I.

Until I shoved an array in that bad boy.
These arrays are more similar to Pokemon attacks. They contain the name, then the damage, then a status indicator, and finally accuracy. Hopefully that's enough for a simple battling game. This comes with the downside of making it more difficult to make mons - because you need to specify each move directly and explicitly. Perhaps a better way to do this would be to store all the moves somewhere as arrays, and bring them over by name.

This did present a challenge, and get ready for some technobabble while I explain it. Previously the moves were only a key and name: "attHi" : "Flamethrower" now, however, the moves are arrays: "attHi" : ["Flamethrower", 50, 0, 95]
For the naming of the buttons, I simply used the key "attHi" to get the string "Flamethrower". However, now that key leads to an array. The button doesn't know what to do with all the brackets, numbers and commas, so it throws an error. So how to grab the first position in an array with the key? Googling this was a fucking nightmare, and it wasn't until I talked through it with a friend that I figured it out. In GDScript (basically, Python), dictionaries can be called by their keys in two ways:
You can call by string - so mondictionary["attHi"] will give you whatever is at the key.
Or you can call by attribute (technical term...I forget) - it looks like this: mondictionary.attHi

This second form is necessary to work with arrays, because the code doesn't know what you mean by mondictionary["attHi"[somenumber]], but it does understand mondictionary.attHi[somenumber]. What I'm doing there is taking the 0th position from the array. Arrays are counted in the way that nerds count - starting at 0. So the array's 0th position is the attack's name like "Flamethrower"! Easy peasy!

The new attack function is once again a mess. I set the whole attack array into a variable because "type" contains a key that is a string, so the second method earlier discussed won't work. We'll also need to pull a lot of info from the array to check miss chance, etc in the future. Right now, I check if the move has a status effect (as in, is not 0 in the status position), and print a short sentence about it.

The enemy now has slight variation on their attacks - if they have a status effect, they prioritize doing damage.

And here's the final product - still not great, but making progress. I'd like to start working on...you know really making the game instead of just printing stuff. That'll need health, mons getting knocked out, and so on.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 12:47:23 am »

this is super cool, delphonso
you just get more and more cool in my eyes, dude; starting smallhands, which was a super good idea, being a kindergarten teacher, and now this
keep on keeping on!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 04:23:59 am »

Truly a man of many talents!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 04:58:24 am »

My talents include:
-having a job
-playing a video game
-making monsters with jean shorts and pistols.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 06:42:46 am »

My talents include:
-having a job
-playing a video game
-making monsters with jean shorts and pistols.

You have no idea how much would I like to have any of those  :P You're a man of great power, and your pocket sand simulator will shake the very foundations of the universe, you'll see.

Or just make the kids happy. That's probably more of a sensible goal anyway I guess

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 06:44:20 pm »

I *love* Ultraman, reminds me of going to Kaiju Big Battels in NYC 20 years ago. Your game looks cool, keep at it. If you are a kindergarten teacher you must have the patience of a 1000 Buddhas and programming should be up your alley  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31