Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 24258 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a commercial game?
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2022, 03:18:07 am »

Zultan, if you can copy and paste whatever error you're getting, we might be able to help you. I hadn't thought about it, but there might be something in the html files that is exporting it in 64 bit, for example.

Ideally, seaside fishing would be scooping up crabbos or mullets or some other baitfish from tide pools with a net and then casting from the shore or a pier. This depends on how I obtain or create assets, essentially.

Boats and watercraft are probably not going to be included, although a rowboat was in the original game. I'll look into it and try to plan for it when designing movement controls. It should be easy enough to just turn off the player's collision or something, using the layers I have already got some experience with.

Fish Finder shouldn't be necessary, as you'll be able to see the silhouette of the fish in the water.

As for rods and equipment, that'll take some research from me, as I'm not actually a fisher. Of the dome, I was considering this:
Rods would improve casting distance (allowing for the really good lake and sea fish to be caught more often)
Lines would have a strength quality, allowing you to make more mistakes/be more aggressive while fishing, and probably allow access to otherwise uncatchable strong swimmers.
Bait should have an area of effect and draw fish in. I love the idea of getting some legendary bait (a Master Bait, if you will), that as soon as you cast, you see every fish on the map swim toward your hook.

Basically the only limitation to how complex and specific rod and kit assembly can be is how creative I can be with the impact such items would have on fishing. There's also a degree where it becomes exhausting rather than enjoyable, especially at the beginning, when you're already figuring out a new game.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 06, 2022, 03:31:43 am »

Zultan, if you can copy and paste whatever error you're getting, we might be able to help you. I hadn't thought about it, but there might be something in the html files that is exporting it in 64 bit, for example.
response.body is undefined, is the message it gives not really sure what it means.

Also will there just be a hand held net or will there also be a cast net?

Ether way it all sounds exciting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 06, 2022, 07:29:58 am »

...that was strangely enjoyable.

Yup.

After trying fishing, took a stroll and walked out the game screen. Almost got lost after zig-zagging blindly, but found me way back.

You might want to put barriers or something on the screen edges to prevent players roaming out of view. Or maybe it was intentional to allow it? :D

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 06, 2022, 08:16:49 am »

I like the idea of lowly hand-net which returns paltry bait all the time slowly evolving to fully trawling the ocean for thousands of fish at a time. We'll see how boats go, first.

Haha, oh yeah. Well it's all getting scrapped anyway, but good reminder. You Bay12ers all have an insatiable urge to walk through walls and off the map...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a better game?
« Reply #274 on: September 06, 2022, 09:16:29 am »

There's a lot of tricks and tips you can do to squeeze performance out of Godot, but it's missing some of the easy resource savers (for example, all objects are "rendered" {wrong term, perhaps} in a scene even when the player isn't looking at it, or it's blocked by something else.)
...start with one object (as the viewport scene... though 'permanent' HUD elements can overlay it) , a canvas (or, to emmulate the ASCII-Doom, a text-window) and then paint upon the image object your blocks of colour (or print your ASCII), rather than spawning or unhiding graphical objects..?

...I'm theorising. Godot is probably optomised for object abstraction so that scripting leading to visible object-shuffling is rapid, and may yet inadvertently leave roadblocks on the way to any 'direct to screen' processing that ought to be superfast code but requires you to do all the initial point/vertex/area clipping (viewport frustra, portals, anti-portals, etc) or at least some form of initial 'minimum bounding box' position-checking.

If it was easy, though, everybody would be doing it all the time. ;) So I'm mostly just hand-waving how I might pursue it, with no intent to get my own hands dirty. (I don't know, though... If I dig up my old Delphi project folder I might be able to... No! That way lies madness!!!  :P )

Anyway, carry on with your more sensible ideas. /wanders off, mumbling to self.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2022, 08:27:30 pm »

is Godot good?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2022, 10:25:23 pm »

is Godot good?

I think it's possibly the best engine if you're coming in with no coding experience. Godot requires that you code, so you have to learn by doing. It's python's syntax, which makes it pretty easy to read, and the built-in features like bug catching and autocomplete are robust and very useful.

You can do a lot in the graphical engine, but eventually you need to code and that's just sort of necessary to make games. If you've already got coding experience, another engine might be better. Unity's got some weirdness with rights and distribution now, but it's popular for a reason (it uses C#, if I'm not mistaken)

You're actually dead-on Starver. The whole scene tree system for Godot should make it easy to free up resources and reinstantiate them when visible/needed, but all of it requires some savvy and planning on the dev's part. Whenever I try to mess with the scene tree, I have a tendency to crash my ganes by freeing something that is in an array somewhere, for example.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2022, 11:01:32 pm »

Workload tripled out of nowhere and so haven't had time to do any coding or really any leisure activities. New teachers interviewed today, so potentially that's another two weeks and then I'll be back to a breezy job with plenty of time to code. I finished only one of the tasks of FreeCodeCamp - with (I think) 5 required to finish a course and earn a certificate. I'd like to get back to that too. It's all HTML and CSS at the start, which aren't really my jams, but hey - it's good to know anyway (also it's piss easy).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2022, 02:45:17 am »

Sorry to hear about your work doing that, hope things get less work intensive for you soon.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 07, 2022, 10:13:37 pm »

Well I've got a bit of free time today, so let's make some fish.

I chuck together a pond using the same assets I used before. I also make a fish silhouette - it has 4 frames of animation, but I couldn't get it to look right, so instead it's just on the first frame.

The fish consists of a small collision shape, a sprite, a ray-caster, and a position. The position is slightly ahead of the fish's center, which I use to move the fish around after rotation.

After all that, we need to make the fish swim around. How to do this easily and autonomously? Well, let's use states.

We're going to use 3 states for now - that's swimming, turning and resting. We'll begin on rest and set a timer to 0.

Next we need to determine what is happening during those states. I decided on the following:

While resting, it's really doing nothing - just counting up until it's time to move. If I had done animations properly, I'd include something here to make the fish idly swim in place - perhaps a bit slower.

The fish then turns a random amount, but always clockwise for now. When they're done turning, they flip a coin and either swim or continue to rest. I'm not really sure why I did this beyond just adding more variation in the fish.

Swimming is pretty straight-forward. They raycast to the position attached to the fish, and if it collides, then they don't swim. If it doesn't collide, they take a step forward. Since the position is just ahead of center, it follows correctly when they are rotated. This was probably the hardest part to figure out and this is a really easy solution.

Fish unfortunately appear to beach themselves because the tilemap only has grid collisions, and the "shore" is all water, even though a third or more of it appears to be ground. Either way, the game is able to process all the collisions without me needing to do much work there.

I add in a simple function to left-click to spawn another fish. If you spawn a lot in the same spot, they'll all collide with each other and be unable to swim away. The same happens if you place them on the ground. Ah well.

Behold! Glorious bounty!

You can play here, browser exclusive!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 08, 2022, 03:18:26 am »

That last picture looks like a small puddle filled with tadpoles.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2022, 11:42:45 pm »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2022, 02:44:16 am »

You gonna participate, the theme and wild cards sound interesting.

But is eight days gonna be enough for you to get game made?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2022, 04:01:22 am »

You gonna participate, the theme and wild cards sound interesting.

But is eight days gonna be enough for you to get game made?

I've already committed. Someone is making the music for me. I have serious doubts 8 days is enough, but we'll see. I'll try to prototype something tomorrow. Gotta post Spookyfort tonight, too.

Let's just say what I have in mind will look familiar.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2022, 04:47:54 am »

Oooo exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21