Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 48644 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a game?
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2021, 12:39:49 am »

(I could have sworn I posted this here yesterday but apparently not as I've had to recreate it and post it again.)

New aesthetic found:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That certainly is a direction you could take the art...

So, for a bit now I've been thinking about this sort of...virtual space neon vibe.
Like Tron or something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2021, 12:53:32 am »

Like Tron, yeah. Specifically copping the style of this music video. If I can figure out the jumbled letters too, I'd do that.

I've been on a big...retrofuturist kick lately, and something about that style matches see-through N64 controllers and lines on CRTs.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:03:22 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2021, 02:54:23 am »

Which era are you aiming for with your retrofuturistic style?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2021, 04:00:12 am »

I've always been very fond of "vector" graphics - such as the arcade game Tempest. That vector has taken on another meaning, but the black backgrounds and sharp white lights really resonates with me.

As it is merely a preference, and doesn't really have anything to do with fighting monsters...it may not stick around for long. I still need to figure out what to do with the 3D space, as I think trying to implement a Tron aesthetic is...far more than I am willing to commit to this project. We might just end up with free assets all around and a few hand-drawn sprites for the mons. Potentially not ever neon-ized.

As it stands, Krita does not work on Manjaro on the Raspberry Pi. Likewise, Blender is limited to version 2.7 (from 2019...) Blender is the more important of the two, as I can learn how to use Inkscape for 2D art. The outdated version of Blender will be more trouble than its worth to make a small 3D space. Free assets are plentiful and nice - just not custom made for you. Perhaps I can learn enough to edit other people's free assets, though - which might be enough for Project B.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 04:02:28 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2021, 04:31:52 am »

Free assets are the best kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2021, 01:23:29 am »

So, today, the skies opened up and dumped gallons upon gallons of water on the city. Classes were cancelled because there was a lot of flooding on the roads. Classes for teachers...were somehow not cancelled. I prepare pretty far in advanced for my classes, so after tying up some loose ends, I've had half a work day dedicated to this project, and honestly might update again later today.

A bit embarrassed about working with 3D assets when I'm supposed to be working, I worked entirely on code - which no one will ask me about because it's just visual white noise.

Behold: Combat basically complete.

In the global singleton, I add a player and enemy array - this will need to be touched by other things later (like who you are talking to, and whatever I figure out for "deckbuilding")
You'll notice a few new mons - I added an additional 4, bringing us up to 8 total. Likely the final number.

We bring these in at the beginning of the round. I believe duplicate() would also work here, which might be necessary depending on how the menu goes.

Then grab the size of the array and store it in some variables that previously were specifically set. I spent an hour trying to just adjust the size of the array (with remove, resize, erase, etc...) and couldn't get anything to work in a way I liked and that didn't throw up issues/actual crashes.

The worst part of this is that the enemy STILL has a set order of enemies (always going 1, 2 and 3). This infuriates me, but at a certain point, it's not worth the effort. Abandoning it for now might make it click somewhere in my mind later. I do want to get it to work, because currently ko'ed mons continue to contribute their team effects.

Well anyway. Let's look at the attack function.
There's a little left-over mess from me trying to use arrays more and dictionaries less. But, overall, we have a lot of new variables.

Because I implemented team effects. And boy, did I implement them poorly! But who cares! It works!

And this calls from the lengthened list of team effects which is stored in the singleton, but also in the mon dics.

Oh, and finally, to avoid the horrible bug where the battlescene would persist into the 3D world despite specifically destroying itself, now the game just counts down from 2 and then closes.

So let's see combat!

Most text has been moved to the in-window text box. Clearly...it's not easy to read and gets big bricks on info pretty regularly. I'll clean this up.

The team effects all pop up and some messages about status, damage, and crits is visible. Not very clear, but functional enough, I think.

Although we won, it threw this in the terminal right at the end. This means the enemy is trying to change again when it should admit defeat and be done. I'll squash this pretty quick, I think.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2021, 02:15:51 am »

A cactus appears!

I also like how you have the monster being defeated, like you killed it instead of the pokemon way of them fainting.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2021, 04:26:33 am »

Cactus is a curse - guarantees a hit, but stops all crits. Absolute nerf.

I think if your mon dies, it still says "monname is fucking dead".

As there are a lot of medieval assets for free, but the battlescene will likely be made by me – we might end up with a futuristic gachapon being dropped into a medieval tavern.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2021, 02:52:49 am »

Now all I can imagine is medieval peasants having a drunken fight where they start throwing Pokemon at each other.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2021, 05:04:19 am »

Now all I can imagine is medieval peasants having a drunken fight where they start throwing Pokemon at each other.

Reminds me of Snorri's Sturlusson's Edda, u know, the collection of various Norse myths, as well as some ancient Norse ballads, it all really gave the impression of a bunch of vikings getting drunk and talking shit, it's a ride I can tell you.

With Pokemon tossing would've been even better.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2021, 12:38:15 am »

This is all I want out of that damn franchise.

Reminds me of Snorri's Sturlusson's Edda, u know, the collection of various Norse myths, as well as some ancient Norse ballads, it all really gave the impression of a bunch of vikings getting drunk and talking shit, it's a ride I can tell you.

With Pokemon tossing would've been even better.

Why not both? "I swear I keep hearing a man's voice, but what stands in front of me is a child! A welp!" *lights entire tavern on fire with a charmonder*

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Oh, kindergarten lunch-breaks... You're outrageously long, but honestly the driving force behind this entire project.

I made the enemy trainers switch mons randomly, using a child's logic: they literally flip a coin and go with that one. Only if both have some amount of health. I will, whenever I update the enemy trainer's battle-logic, also include an option for them to change mons rather than always attack.

Because, it is now very beneficial to keep a mon alive and out of the fight:

KOed mons no longer contribute their team-effects when KOed. Simple logic there.

Over in the player-controls, we've added a bit of complexity.

Pressing E starts combat, but it also passes an argument: trainer. This is set when you get close to the only threat in the room: the cube. I made a team for the cube, and it passes that team up the chain to the gameshop. Then, the gameshop starts combat against the trainer - who overwrites the now blank "enemyteam":

(I accidentally deleted the line: get_parent().add_child(battlescene). This caused much confusion as I tried to figure out where I went wrong...)

And since the enemy team is Null (just completely blank, not even a dictionary) until you're by the cube, this was added to the battlescene:

Upon writing this I realize it would be better to just check if the team is null in the gameshop - before combat is even initiated.

-=-=-=-=-
You wake up in a pale blue room - no ceiling or doors are visible. Ahead of you, you see a cube.

>> Examine cube.
>> Walk toward the cube.

You fumble as you walk, your controls seem to have been fucked by moving the player position in the 3D scene your limbs feel unfamiliar. You approach the cube and examine it. It is a meter on all sides, perfectly blank and without features.

>> Touch the cube.
>> Lick the cube.

As you lean down to lick the cube, you rest your hand on its smooth surfaces. It quivers then attacks!

>> Panic!
>> Begin crying
>> Show no mercy

You immediately begin sweating and crying. The cube does not respond. You shit your pants, but realize that there is only one way out of this featureless room - you will need to kill the cube to climb out of the room.

(I found a highlight tool in my screenshotter - very nice. You can see team effects only applying for the living members of the team.)

Pretty good progress overall, I think. Two major additions are still needed before I can call this whole thing "done as done will be" - a menu for managing mons, and the 3D space with a gachapon machine. Combat, however, is mechanically complete.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2021, 04:33:42 am »

One day soon all the children will be obsessing over this game!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2021, 12:52:06 am »

Quick end-ties to get the game playable again. I'll try to pack it up and upload it in a bit so anyone can play, if they want.

As of now, the game effectively just crashes when you win or lose - it's not a crash, but it returns to main, which is a blank scene, and therefore blocks any interaction with the game. The above is effectively taken straight from Godot's documentation to implement a scene manager in the global singleton. The deferred load (don't worry, I fixed the typo now) merely means that the engine waits until everything is finished on that scene before freeing it - this helps prevent crashes or other issues (such as ending the scene before it updates the singleton).

I didn't take an screenshots, but previously I had moved the player to point the camera toward the cube (original just facing a wall) - I did something wrong and only rotated part of the player, which meant the way I did controls (checking the "transform" of the camera) wasn't working correctly, and was off by 135 degrees. Fixed now.

Consider the Cube - a puddingstone-bound codex:

The cube is perfect. It has a slightly larger cube surrounding it. When you approach the cube, the game passes the trainer info up the chain (to be added onto a dialogue system later).

Previously I passed this back up to the gameshop, but there's no reason to, really. Instead, it's handled when you press "E"

(I actually set inv to be a few buttons. I think it is currently E and I, but may also include the spacebar.)
(I also made an edit to this - the game needs the path to the scene change - res://battlescene.tscn is correct - this would throw an error otherwise)

blankteam is 100% blank, so if enemyteam is "filled" with blankteam, it'll be considered "false" by the engine. So if global.enemyteam is just checking if there is ANYTHING inside enemyteam. trainer is called at the beginning of this script - it is also blank, so the only way that global.enemyteam will return true, is if you're near a cube.

How to improve upon the cube?

Ah. Perfection.

I played around with Labels - which unfortunately, being 2D, are always just on top of the screen - which could be useful for a HUD - how much gold/health you have, etc.
Sprite3D, however, let's you drop a 2D sprite into 3D space. I put the cactus there just for testing. I also set it to "billboard" which does the old Doom thing where the sprite always faces you. You can also just leave it and it'll align to the grid and stay there.

I add a little code that makes the sprite only appear when within combat range. The cube has adopted an aggressive posture!

Huh? What's this?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:24:29 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2021, 02:51:26 am »

A second cube has appeared, how curious.

I add a little code that makes the sprite only appear when within combat range. The cube has adopted an aggressive posture!
It should make that sound the guards in MGS make when they see you.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2021, 07:57:44 am »

New playable version available to play in your browser!

HERE

(I forgot to re-copy the teams every combat, so...well just reload the page after you win, because your damage will roll over. I'll fix this in like 10 minutes.
Okay actually this is defying all logic. No clue how this has come up again, despite using duplicate - it really shouldn't. I literally already fixed this bug. How is this happening?)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:15:19 am by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31